There are 239 users in the forums

Geek's Mock Plan V4.0

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Warning: It's not a sexy mock plan with a Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson type signing.

Resign -

Alex Smith - QB
Adam Snyder - OG
Josh Morgan - WR
Dashon Goldson - FS (FRANCHISE)
Ahmad Brooks - DE/OLB

Release -

Shawntae Spencer - CB ($3.2M in savings)

Free Agency -

Harry Douglas - WR - Falcons
*I think Douglas is a perfect fit for the west coast offense. He is a fast WR that runs smooth and crisp routes. He's had some injury concerns in his career, but I don't see him demanding the same money as Meachem.

Jonathan Fanene - DT/DE - Bengals
*I think I've had Fanene in every one of my mock's this year. The guy is just a great rotational play maker. Security blanket for McDonald and Justin Smith.

Trade:
49ers trade 1st round pick to Dolphins for 2nd, 4th, and future 4th round draft picks. Dolphins trade up to select Ryan Tannihill - QB. I assume the Dolphins miss out on Flynn as the Redskins overpay in free agency.

NFL Draft -

R2: Chase Minnifield - CB - Virginia
*Minnifield is one of my favorite CBs in this draft. He's developed in multiple coverage formats (zone & man to man), a sound tackler, and makes good, safe plays on the ball. This draft is deep in secondary, so we should be able to snag him even with the trade down.

R2: Joe Adams - WR/ST - Arkansas
*The addition of Douglas and now Joe Adams adds play making speed to our team. Adams will mostly contribute on special teams initially, but imagine a 5 WR set of Crabtree, Douglas, Adams, Morgan, and Davis. With all of that speed, it will be very hard for defenses to double cover Davis and still maintain good coverage on the remaining WRs.

R3: Ladarius Green - TE - LA Lafayette
*Now that we added speed to the offense, it's time to add size. Green is a 6-6 athletic freak of nature. He still needs to improve on his blocking skills, but the 3 TE set of Davis, Walker, and Green will create so many mismatches.

R4: Aaron Henry - FS - Wisconsin
*Henry will replace Reggie Smith and Madeau Williams as the backup FS on this team.

R4: Jacquies Smith - DE/OLB - Missouri
*With Haralson near the end of his 49ers career, Smith will be his eventual replacement.

R5: Vick Ballard - RB - Mississippi State
*I don't think the 49ers are happy with Dixon as a running back. He slips too much and his attitude has rubbed off the wrong way on the coaching staff. If Gore goes down, we need 2 capable backups to ensure we are maintaining a good run game. Ballard is a power back that is perfect for short yardage situations.

R6: Chris Owusu - WR - Stanford
*If Owusu didn't have concussion problems, he'd be a 1-2 round pick. And with Javid Best potentially retiring due to those injuries, many teams won't have Owusu on the draft board. My opinion: I rather risk spending a 6th round pick on this guy to challenge Kyle Williams instead of drafting someone who is destined to be on the PS.

R7: William Vlachos - C - Alabama
*Undersized offensive lineman that competes with Beeler for a spot on the practice squad.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Kaepernick/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Hunter/Ballard*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Green*/Walker/Byham

WR: Crabtree/Morgan
WR: Douglas*/Owusu*
WR: Adams*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Person
C: Goodwin/Kilgore
RG: Snyder/Hall
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Fanene*
NT: Sopoaga/Jean-Francois/Williams
RE: McDonald/Dobbs

OLB: Smith/Smith*
ILB: Willis/Grant
ILB: Bowman/Contanzo
OLB: Brooks/Haralson

CB: Brown/Minnifield*/Holcomb
CB: Culliver/Brock
FS: Goldson/Henry*
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings
Overall a good draft and off season. I am not too sure that Tannehill will fall to our #30 pick. Look at last year with guys like Ponder and Gabbert going as high as they did. There are several QB needy teams that will select Tannehill; Seattle being at least one team to draft ahead of us.

I like that you addressed most of our needs, but I think we need to draft an OG to upgrade the RG position.

I think Joe Adams is taken too soon, but if he can do what Randall Cobb did for the Packers then I would be all for it!

I would like to get Owusu as well, but he could probably be had for a 7th rounder for sure and will probably go undrafted. We would be able to bring him in as an UDFA.

Good mock!
Very good moxck.

You did exactly what I'll be doing in my mock next week w/ trading back with Miami. But my selections will be different.

Totally agree Dixon is not doing it, I'd like trade hiim for whatever we can get [5th?]

Love Minnefiled and think Joe "The Jet" should be a 3rd rounder but won't be there in thhe 3rd when we pick. I'd love to see him on our team.

Smart move w/Faneene but I think we could do better STILL he'd be a very positive pick-up.

Exactly how fast and tall is Douglas? OI haven't seen anything much about him anywhere?

I think getting Green would be incredible and would enhance our offensive attack BIGTIME.

Enjoyed the rest of the draft and if it went this way, we'd be a much improved team.

I know people will say [myself included] that we MUST fix the RG position. I'm hoping that Kilgore/Pearson will step in capeably which would be golden.

Thanks for the fine post.
Geek, like the draft a ton. Value all the way down the line. Only question I would have is about the Douglass Signing. I would hope the Niners would sign a bigger, red zone target in free agency if they were going to get the Joe Adams/Chris Owusu types in the draft. Minor point, but JMO.
I'd be really happy with that off-season. It addresses our holes on defense while also providing depth accross the board. I think Minnifield is under-rated. I have him as my #4 CB in this draft. The additions of Douglas, Adams, Green, Ballard, and Oswusu would be a huge shot in the arm to our below average offense.

I also have battled with who to let go if we cant keep everyone. As much as I hate it, Rogers is the way I'm leaning as well.

Good job!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
i really like this offseason!

the only thing is that instead of joe adams in the 2nd id rather get streeter or quick someone else 6'4+
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Very good moxck.

You did exactly what I'll be doing in my mock next week w/ trading back with Miami. But my selections will be different.

Totally agree Dixon is not doing it, I'd like trade hiim for whatever we can get [5th?]

Love Minnefiled and think Joe "The Jet" should be a 3rd rounder but won't be there in thhe 3rd when we pick. I'd love to see him on our team.

Smart move w/Faneene but I think we could do better STILL he'd be a very positive pick-up.

Exactly how fast and tall is Douglas? OI haven't seen anything much about him anywhere?

I think getting Green would be incredible and would enhance our offensive attack BIGTIME.

Enjoyed the rest of the draft and if it went this way, we'd be a much improved team.

I know people will say [myself included] that we MUST fix the RG position. I'm hoping that Kilgore/Pearson will step in capeably which would be golden.

A 5th for Dixon? Are you on crack? We would be lucky to get a bag of chips for him. Maybe plain but no way Doritos.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Very good moxck.

A 5th for Dixon? Are you on crack? We would be lucky to get a bag of chips for him. Maybe plain but no way Doritos.

trade him for a 2019 7th rd pick
I hate seeing Brock on the roster, he was a liability in the NFC Championship game when Brown went down, I hope we get someone over him.

Geek, I don't think Owusu will be drafted unless he runs in the 4.3s. I think we could get him as a priority UDFA who would like to play with Harbaugh.

Owusu never did enough to warrant 2nd round consideration, but had he not gotten hurt maybe could've been a strong middle round candidate.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I hate seeing Brock on the roster, he was a liability in the NFC Championship game when Brown went down, I hope we get someone over him.

He's going to have to compete with Holcomb. Both are about the same size, but Brock's main value was on STs. He was lights out, and that's why he was active. If Holcomb is a better special-teamer, he'll beat Brock out.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Geek, I don't think Owusu will be drafted unless he runs in the 4.3s. I think we could get him as a priority UDFA who would like to play with Harbaugh.

Owusu never did enough to warrant 2nd round consideration, but had he not gotten hurt maybe could've been a strong middle round candidate.

me either. Id rather get Jodan White in the 6th instead of Owusu. Everything will change after the combine cuz there's sosme big guys late in the draft who were 1st and 2nd rounders at one point (Greg Childs, Jeff Fuller). And at the rate that Dwight Jones is falling, he might be there too
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

He's going to have to compete with Holcomb. Both are about the same size, but Brock's main value was on STs. He was lights out, and that's why he was active. If Holcomb is a better special-teamer, he'll beat Brock out.

I just dont want him on Defense, If its him as 4th CB we are screwed.
I don't see us resigning a return man. You saw how that tanked our season last time right?....
Share 49ersWebzone