There are 189 users in the forums

Mock Offseason

When you said "a little out of the ordinary" you weren't kidding. And I did enjoy it although I disagree on a number of things.

Alex is going to keep getting better. He'll be resigned 3-4 years. People need to just get over it.

I agree on Rogers. I think to secondary got better because of the front 7.

Agree on losing Ted Ginn, GoodenWR Ted Ginn, Justin Peele, Reggie Smith, Chilo Rachal, Madieu Williams.

I'd also cut/trade/dump Swain, Norris, Spencer, and Dixon.

Disagree on OLB Ahmad Brooks, he'll be offered a ton of money by someone else.

Agree on Dashon Goldson but unless he is franchised he's gone. We won't get into a bidding war. Same tghing for Larry Grant.
Agree on Adam Snyder, I still think we need better at the RG position but he is an excellent OLine utility player who can come in and play at a good level.

I love tradiing back but would have gotten a BIG WR like McNutt.

Absolutely love the Robert Turbin pick, he's in my mock that I'll post soon. Also like the Reyes, Rainey.

Thanks for all the work you put in on it.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I would NOT let alex go.

me either

This

What has he done? I like the guy but he is an average quarterback who led the 49ers to have an average to below average season offensively. He's afraid to let loose, much of which is by design but I honestly feel that the 49ers can get equal production from a cheaper quarterback who can add to the run game. Harbaugh knows how to protect his quarterbacks, he'll do it with Johnson or Kaep or Smith. Let's save a ton of money and put a playmaker behind center. We may have more turnovers but we'll have more explosive plays too. The 49ers won't be able to count on an absurd +28 turnover ratio again next year, the offense is a serious concern right now.

what has josh johnson ever done???????????

He's done nothing which is the same as Alex prior to this year. Harbaugh protected Smith all year, he will do the same thing with Johnson or Kaepernick.
[ Edited by 23zack80 on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM ]
He's done nothing which is the same as Alex prior to this year. Harbaugh protected Smith all year, he will do the same thing with Johnson or Kaepernick.

I advise you to watch the end of last season he opened up the offense more and also I assume you wouldn't want luck? Stanfords offense ran te same way excelt they ran more in stanford
  • mike
  • Veteran
Main things I hate about this mock are trading back(ew we're already picking late in the first why dilute the talent even further?), and not resigning Alex. What do you mean by alex has been "protected"? Alex still got sacked 45 times and all of his WRs had injuries at one point or another. Josh johnson is trash I don't care if harbaugh coached him.

edit: oh I think you mean harbaugh limited alex and could do a similar "game manager" role with other Qbs.

Maybe, but there are many disadvantages to throwing another brand new QB in who probably is somewhat worse than alex. We saw what kind of chemistry Davis and Alex had, that comes with years of playing together. Also, you throw away the knowledge Alex gained of Harbaugh's system last year and start from scratch again. The more the QB knows the offense the more they can "open up" that offense.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
You win the most bizarre mock award to this point.

When I look at your roster I see almost as many positions made weaker than strengthened...would like the opposite of that. Several big areas are weaker:

DBs--if they have to rely on backups due to injuries they will have to bring in totally untested players
OL--cutting loose Rachal doesn't bother me but bringing in no backup? Kilgore may be ready and then Snyder could be the back up for both OC and RG but why not bring in another strong player to replace Rachal? Hall and Kilgore are untested.
RB--Going small, smaller and now small again? I'm not as down on Dixon as many are, so I don't like this change.

And then there is Josh Johnson coming in with the assumption that Harbaugh can use him as he did in college. Big assumption! I like the idea of bringing him in to replace one of the young guys but not replacing the only tested vet on the team.

Well thanks for the award, I'll add it to my trophy case.

The team would go after some vets in free agency, I didn't take the time to look up a few names. I put Hall in at guard as a placeholder, the team would definitely find a vet backup to help out on the line. The same would go for the secondary, a player like Madieu Williams who can start if needed would be the way the team goes at corner and safety most likely bumping Nelms and Golden to the practice squad.

When it comes to Dixon, I'm sick of him dancing around. Turbin is not a perfect power back but I feel very strongly that he will be the replacement for Gore in a year or two. Watch the video if you haven't, he's pretty intelligent and runs like a bowling ball.

I'm not saying Johnson will be a star for the 49ers, but I do believe he can be as effective as Smith at a much smaller price tag. He won't be guaranteed a starting position and I personally hope Kaepernick can take a step forward and become the starter next year in this scenario.

Originally posted by bigwads:
What has he done? I like the guy but he is an average quarterback who led the 49ers to have an average to below average season offensively. He's afraid to let loose, much of which is by design but I honestly feel that the 49ers can get equal production from a cheaper quarterback who can add to the run game. Harbaugh knows how to protect his quarterbacks, he'll do it with Johnson or Kaep or Smith. Let's save a ton of money and put a playmaker behind center. We may have more turnovers but we'll have more explosive plays too. The 49ers won't be able to count on an absurd +28 turnover ratio again next year, the offense is a serious concern right now.

Is this kind of garbage still going on? What has he done? Were you in space for the last month? 5 passing TDs, 1 rushing and no ints in two playoff games...STFU dude...enough with the hate-alex garbage already. He has officially obliterated all the alex haters at this point.

Real mature response. The 49ers were proud owners of the 29th ranked passing attack this year. I'm assuming that has nothing to do with Smith in your eyes. Alex Smith is one hell of a guy but he is not an elite quarterback. It would be foolish for this team to pay him anything more than 6 or 7 million a year for 2 or 3 years. I'm not a hater, I'm realistic. He has a value that the team shouldn't go over. That's my non-biased view of Smith, call me a hater if you want but he is limited as a quarterback.
If Alex got a huge deal on the market (think 5 years, 65 million or 6 years, 75 million from the Seahawks, or Skins) then I would be all for this offseason. I can't justify giving Alex a contract like that and it would severely handicap our ability to keep together the core of our team which is obviously our defense.

Now, if Alex gets lukewarm interest on the open market and we can get him to agree to another 1 or 2 year deal at about 7-8 million per year? I'd be all for it, and I'd be pissed if Baalke/Harbaugh let him get away.

Assuming the former is the case and Alex gets more money than our FO is comfortbale giving him, we better lock up Ted Ginn and make a serious run at Carlos Rogers. The only chance we have of replicating our success from last season imo (regardless of who are QB is) is to continue to dominate on defense and special teams.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I advise you to watch the end of last season he opened up the offense more and also I assume you wouldn't want luck? Stanfords offense ran te same way excelt they ran more in stanford

What does Luck have to do with anything? There is no chance of getting him.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
If Alex got a huge deal on the market (think 5 years, 65 million or 6 years, 75 million from the Seahawks, or Skins) then I would be all for this offseason. I can't justify giving Alex a contract like that and it would severely handicap our ability to keep together the core of our team which is obviously our defense.

Now, if Alex gets lukewarm interest on the open market and we can get him to agree to another 1 or 2 year deal at about 7-8 million per year? I'd be all for it, and I'd be pissed if Baalke/Harbaugh let him get away.

Assuming the former is the case and Alex gets more money than our FO is comfortbale giving him, we better lock up Ted Ginn and make a serious run at Carlos Rogers. The only chance we have of replicating our success from last season imo (regardless of who are QB is) is to continue to dominate on defense and special teams.

The problem with this thinking is that QBs get paid a lot and successful QBs get paid way more than a lot. So, if CK were able to step up and match Smith he would soon command the same or higher salary. Baalke has shown that he will pay market rates to worthy players. He also sticks to short term contracts for the most part. I would expect that to continue with Smith and the other FAs with limited back ups.

So many people seem to be ignoring Harbaugh's statement that Smith is the QB of the future.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM ]
The problem with this thinking is that QBs get paid a lot and successful QBs get paid way more than a lot. So, if CK were able to step up and match Smith he would soon command the same or higher salary. Baalke has shown that he will pay market rates to worthy players. He also sticks to short term contracts for the most part. I would expect that to continue with Smith and the other FAs with limited back ups.

So many people seem to be ignoring Harbaugh's statement that Smith is the QB of the future.
No one will forget Harbaugh's statement with you around here, believe me.

As for the statement, did that statement come with a 6 year contract extension? Or a guarantee that Alex is the starting QB for 2012? Unless it came with one of those two things, I don't think Harbaugh's statement holds very much weight.

I mean As far as I remember, Harbaugh didn't go out of his way and say "Alex Smith is the QB of the future" anyways. Somebody asked him if he thought Alex was the QB of the future and he simply said "I do."

"I do" is better than nothing but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Alex as the QB of the future for the 49ers.
No one will forget Harbaugh's statement with you around here, believe me.

As for the statement, did that statement come with a 6 year contract extension? Or a guarantee that Alex is the starting QB for 2012? Unless it came with one of those two things, I don't think Harbaugh's statement holds very much weight.

I mean As far as I remember, Harbaugh didn't go out of his way and say "Alex Smith is the QB of the future" anyways. Somebody asked him if he thought Alex was the QB of the future and he simply said "I do."

"I do" is better than nothing but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Alex as the QB of the future for the 49ers.

Glad I serve a useful purpose for you!

Harbaugh is known as a very straight shooter and he tends to take great care in what he says. I do not doubt that he sincerely likes Smith as a player and person. Not sure why you would think he is shining the world on.

So if Smith is resigned you will be shocked? Sad? Angry? Are you in denial? Does it really matter to you?

Because if Harbaugh decides to go with CK next year I will:
1) Hope the 9ers go to the Super Bowl
2) Wish Alex well in his future pursuits
3) Root like crazy for CK and the 9ers
4) Not loose any sleep over it.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM ]

Glad I serve a useful purpose for you!

Harbaugh is known as a very straight shooter and he tends to take great care in what he says. I do not doubt that he sincerely likes Smith as a player and person. Not sure why you would think he is shining the world on.

So if Smith is resigned you will be shocked? Sad? Angry? Are you in denial? Does it really matter to you?

Because if Harbaugh decides to go with CK next year I will:
1) Hope the 9ers go to the Super Bowl
2) Wish Alex well in his future pursuits
3) Root like crazy for CK and the 9ers
4) Not loose any sleep over it.

LOL bro take a break from defending Alex Smith's honor for one second.

Haraugh first and foremost is a WINNER. He is always looking for ways to motivate his team. He's searching tirelessly for any little advantage he can have over the other teams in the NFL. Why might Harbaugh say "I do" even if he wasn't sure he considered Alex Smith his QB of the future? You're a smart guy, I'm surprised you haven't figured this one out.

Maybe, Alex Smith is known to have issues with his confidence and Harbaugh was thinking of that? Perhaps Harbaugh is toosmart to start a QB controversy during a playoff run by saying "Alex has played mistake free football but I think we can still get more out of the position in the future" or "I'm not sure if he is the QB of the future yet because we have quite a bit of season left to play and I'm looking for some more improvements from him".

I'm not saying that this is THE reason Harbaugh said what he did, or that he is in fact lying to everybody, I'm just saying there are other explanations that are just as valid at this point.

As for how I'll feel if we resign Alex?

I'll not be surprised one bit.

He generally played well enough to not lose games this year and at times played well enough to win tough games. If we sign him to a contract that reflects that value(2 years, 14-16 million), I'l be over the moon. Now, if we sign him to a monster of a deal (6 years 70-80 million dollar) I will be very dissapointed but not angry.

I like Alex the player and I am extremely fond of Alex the human being. I don't think at this point he deserves the mega-deal most franchise QB's get signed to, but if I had to give that kind of money to anyone other than Brees, Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Romo, Stafford or Schaub...I'd give it to Alex. At least you know you're gonna be getting 100% from him day in and day out.
LOL at you always making people out to be Alex Smith haters, dtg.

NEWSFLASH: It is possible to like Alex Smith, want him to have the happiest, most fulfilling life possible and STILL think we can upgrade the QB position.

I understand when you call someone a hater when they say some really stupid s**t like "Alex is a bottom 10 QB in the league" but lay off it bro. I like Alex Smith a lot. I wanted to resign him the day the 2010 season ended, so get outta my face with all of your homerish, overreactionary b******t. I think I speak for a lot of board members when I say it's getting tiresome as f**k.
LOL at you always making people out to be Alex Smith haters, dtg.

NEWSFLASH: It is possible to like Alex Smith, want him to have the happiest, most fulfilling life possible and STILL think we can upgrade the QB position.

I understand when you call someone a hater when they say some really stupid s**t like "Alex is a bottom 10 QB in the league" but lay off it bro. I like Alex Smith a lot. I wanted to resign him the day the 2010 season ended, so get outta my face with all of your homerish, overreactionary b******t. I think I speak for a lot of board members when I say it's getting tiresome as f**k.

Stop.
Share 49ersWebzone