LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Post Senior Bowl Mock Offseason:

Originally posted by mike:
Sorry to be a debbie downer but Dwayne bowe is a pipe dream at best. Kc has no reason not to franchise tag him. He's their only real receiving threat on an offense that desperately needs him. Any dip in stats can be pointed at having Palko throwing to him a good part of the season.

If we lose teddy ginn I want Desean, simple as that, unless you like the idea of Williams returning punts full time. It's probably not that much more realistic hoping for desean but in a few ways it is: It's already been said he's not getting tagged, and there have been reports saying that desean thinks he's worth more than what ownership think he's worth. That stalemate could be what it takes to get him looking toward the west coast.

I don't care what people say about how he acted last season. Rumors that he's a locker room cancer are overblown. He's an electrifying player who would immediately improve our offense.

Did you not see who he drafted in the 1st round??? Check out my Joe Adams thread I made last night and watch that highlight reel. I would rather have Joe Adams over DJax and Ginn.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Did you not see who he drafted in the 1st round??? Check out my Joe Adams thread I made last night and watch that highlight reel. I would rather have Joe Adams over DJax and Ginn.

As of today, Adams might be a reach but when he hits the combine and runs a 4.3-40, he will be a 1st round pick. He reminds me of a more explosive Percy Harvin.

He would be dynamite in the slot on hitches, screens and reverses. He can take a short pass to the house and he is a dynamic return-man.

Do we want Coby Fleener at TE when we already have Vernon? Will Adams make it to the end of round 2? I doubt it. He is more explosive than Titus Young and he went 44th but Titus put up better yardage in college on a spread offense though. Adams was on a run 1st Arkansas team. Randall Cobb was the 64th pick and is more in Adams group. Maybe 30 is too high for Adams but I dont think he will be there are the end of round 2 and I dont want to trade a 2013 1st or a 2nd and 3rd to move up to get him.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We don't need another smurf.

We could use one like Adams if Ginn leaves, but definitely not in the first.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple notes: Smith is not going to re-sign for 3 years. It is going to take a 5 year contract to get the job done, and the number should be in the $48-52 million range. Grant is not going to be picked up for a 3rd round selection. I think you have the wrong CB listed. I believe you mean Josh Norman of Central Florida.

Mad, is it Alex who you think would want a 5 year deal?
ya we arent going to lose carlos rodgers. he has already said that this is where he wants to be, unless we throw him a ridiculous low ball he will be resigned
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
ya we arent going to lose carlos rodgers. he has already said that this is where he wants to be, unless we throw him a ridiculous low ball he will be resigned

Yeah, I can't see Rodgers leaving. We've been good at offering fair contracts to key free agents.

And I definitely would prefer a taller basketball player WR. Small and fast WRs are a whole lot easier to find.
Nice thread thus far... It is great to read some "out of the box" thoughts by some zoners.

Given what Baalke and Co. did last season, I can't see them going after a really high priced FA like Bowe. I think it is much more likely they try to sign a guy like Manningham or Meachem, a guy that can get open and catch the ball but won't demand a huge paycheck. They then add a couple of guys they can develop in the draft. One of these guys may be a TE.

Some Zoners have suggested drafting Fleener in the first round so the Niner can have a major double threat at TE like New England has. I think this is a real possibility given what Harbaugh did at Stanford. Would any wideout the team could get at pick 30 provide as much of a threat as Fleener right out of the gate? Probably not if we are honest with ourselves. Fleener also would give the team a red zone target and a go-to guy on third downs. Plus he would add another blocker in the run game.

I also think the Niners will do everything they can to re-sign Rogers. He was simply a gigantic contributor to the team's success this season. Losing him would be huge because Culliver would likely have to start and then the depth behind him and T Brown becomes extremely shaky.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM ]
Sorry, not a fan of the draft. IMO, I don't think Joe Adams is necessarily a 1st round receiver. He looks like a late 2nd round prospect even after his strong showing at the Senior Bowl. And in the 2nd round, I'm more of a fan of Casey Hayward than Josh Robinson. But it is your mock and I respect your opinions.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
No. Josh Norman plays for Coastal Carolina. I want Josh Robinson from Central Florida.

Why is Grant NOT going to be picked up for a 3rd? He is a RFA and I think we will put at least a 3rd round tender on him. He played at a very high level and some LBer needy team will give up a 3rd for a starting MLB in a heart beat.

If Smith backed up his great play from the Divisional playoffs in the NFC Championship game then I think he would have gotten a nice 5 year deal. As it stands, he was not very good and was a big reason we lost that game. I dont want to give Alex 10 mil a year for 5 years when I think Colin Kaepernick can do the things Alex did. I think we will kick the tires on Peyton as well. Alex's play regressed big time vs NY.

3 years. 24 mil is the most I will do. Alex wont be going anywhere and he wants to stay with Harbaugh. We have all the leverage.

My mistake on Robinson. I thought you meant Norman, since he is the much higher graded player at this point. Robinson is going to need to burn the track, because I just see him as a second rounder, in my opinion.

As for Grant, I love the kid, but just don't see a team burning a 3rd on him. He played really well in our system, in the role he jumped into. However, the guy was generally unwanted by the league as of last year, and it would be an astronomical leap to gain the equality of the a third round selection.

As for the leverage with Smith, I think a number of teams will make a run at Smith this offseason if the Niners do not make a serious push. It will then become a bidding war. In the end, I believe the agent will be pretty clear about numbers up front with the organization, and the contract will be signed to the tune of 5 years, for $49 million. So, in the end, as an unrestricted free agent, with bidders out there, Smith really holds all the cards.
Can any of our free agents be signed before March 1st, or do we have to wait until the start of free agency?

Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
New Orleans has QB Brees, WR Colston, and OG Nicks are their main Free Agents. I believe they can only sign two of the three. If so, they will probably sign Brees and let either Colston or Nicks go. My gut feeling is they will keep Nicks and let Colston go (because New Orleans already have Meachem, Henderson, Lance Moore, Sproles, Graham, etc.) so they have a plethora of receivers still available for Brees. Colston could be the big red zone target that we need.

they already gave jhari evans top guard money, i doubt they have 2 guards taking tons of cap space. meachem, henderson and moore are nothing like colston and i would think they try to keep brees #1 option at wr. with the way the saints been drafting olinemen late in the draft and their pro bowl lt whos name is totally skipping my mind right now who they found out of towson, they totally know what to look for in olinemen and can find and groom an above average guard
Meachem is also an FA, can't they just let him go and manage to sign the 3 main guys?

Meachem is the guy I want, not Colston or Bowe.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Yeah, I was just thinking that the 49ers don't drop enough passes. At least Meachem is running fast when he drops them.
I think we will still keep Ginn and Rodgers. Overall good mock draft anyways though. I'd like to see the DE from Boise on our team to eventually replace J. Smith.
I think we will still keep Ginn and Rodgers. Overall good mock draft anyways though. I'd like to see the DE from Boise on our team to eventually replace J. Smith. We should try and extend Grant too.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by midrdan:

Yeah, I was just thinking that the 49ers don't drop enough passes. At least Meachem is running fast when he drops them.

I can't believe Meachem is pushing 30. It seemed like yesterday this board was debating if we should take him in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone