LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd, Who's the #2 WR in the draft?

Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd, Who's the #2 WR in the draft?

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I suppose that's true, since you technically can't count to zero ... seriously, it's pretty evident that you are a huge fan of his, which is fine. I agree that he has size, hands, timing, hops, and a knack for aggresively high-pointing the ball. Comparing him to Calvin Johnson is insane, in my mind. So much of Johnson's game is the matchup problem he presents by having elite speed AND size. NOTHING about Jeffery's game says "speed" to me. He is caught from behind with alarming frequency. I also feel that there is absolutely no excuse for a receiver to be so soft-bodied. Even if it is not a result of laziness, it is still a HUGE concern. He is only going to get fatter as his body ages and his metabolism slows down. I wouldn't pick him in the first round if he was the last receiver left, but I am not a professional, I don't have the resources that the teams have, and I would trust that Trent had done his due diligence if he decided to bring Jeffery in.

This. He's slow and fat and supposedly has a bad attitude to boot. I wouldn't be shocked to see him picked late in the 2nd round/early 3rd round. He's looking less and less impressive as the offseason goes on, when he wasn't the focus of the offense he did fine, when teams were trying to shut him down, he was getting ably locked down by random CB's, chased down from behind by college linebackers, no thanks.

He's big and he's got great hands, that's about all. As I've said before, I'd rather take Fleener or Sanu in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I suppose that's true, since you technically can't count to zero ... seriously, it's pretty evident that you are a huge fan of his, which is fine. I agree that he has size, hands, timing, hops, and a knack for aggresively high-pointing the ball. Comparing him to Calvin Johnson is insane, in my mind. So much of Johnson's game is the matchup problem he presents by having elite speed AND size. NOTHING about Jeffery's game says "speed" to me. He is caught from behind with alarming frequency. I also feel that there is absolutely no excuse for a receiver to be so soft-bodied. Even if it is not a result of laziness, it is still a HUGE concern. He is only going to get fatter as his body ages and his metabolism slows down. I wouldn't pick him in the first round if he was the last receiver left, but I am not a professional, I don't have the resources that the teams have, and I would trust that Trent had done his due diligence if he decided to bring Jeffery in.

This. He's slow and fat and supposedly has a bad attitude to boot. I wouldn't be shocked to see him picked late in the 2nd round/early 3rd round. He's looking less and less impressive as the offseason goes on, when he wasn't the focus of the offense he did fine, when teams were trying to shut him down, he was getting ably locked down by random CB's, chased down from behind by college linebackers, no thanks.

He's big and he's got great hands, that's about all. As I've said before, I'd rather take Fleener or Sanu in a heartbeat.

LOL You never watched and from what youre saying have no idea about the type of player he is. Fat n slow but yet he has the best YPC of all WRs in this years class Hes always been the focus of defenses fyi and was the best offensive weapon for the gamecocks. Put those 2 guys on the gamecocks this year and neither would even be considered draft worthy till after the 5th rd. Other than Blackmon, Jeffery is the most complete WR in this years class. He can run routes, has great hands, jumps, and can block. His speed is equal to Floyds and better than any other WR thats 6ft4 230.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
LOL You never watched and from what youre saying have no idea about the type of player he is. Fat n slow but yet he has the best YPC of all WRs in this years class Hes always been the focus of defenses fyi and was the best offensive weapon for the gamecocks. Put those 2 guys on the gamecocks this year and neither would even be considered draft worthy till after the 5th rd. Other than Blackmon, Jeffery is the most complete WR in this years class. He can run routes, has great hands, jumps, and can block. His speed is equal to Floyds and better than any other WR thats 6ft4 230.

How about no? He's got great physical size and makes amazing plays with defenders draped on him, you know why those defenders are draped on him? Because he's awful at getting separation. In college it works because he's that much bigger than the defenders, in the pro's this guy is going to get eaten alive. One of the reasons he is dropping down the draft boards is due to concerns about his weight which he has allowed to spiral out of control. His speed can't be that great considering that I've seen him get run down by linebackers from behind with a head start. You can use an hour glass to time his cuts, he makes slow moves across the field, once again, he played well because he simply out-sized everyone, but as far as that translating to the next level, not a chance.

He's a big, physical receiver with good hands, in college he can use his size to dominate, in the pro's this guy is going to get shutdown which is why many draft boards now have Kendall Wright and Sanu clearly ahead of him. Its Dwayne Jarret/JJ Stokes/Mike Williams all over again, even worse, because those guys at least didn't allow themselves to get fat and walk around with a pudge belly. Strong motivation.

Hopefully dude is cutting back on the Krispy Kreme ahead of the combines otherwise he'll end up in the 3rd round or worse, one of those "what happened to this guy" stories.

This guy is JaMarcus Russell playing wideout.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM ]
Good god is he fat DO NOT WANT.
Originally posted by communist:

He slimmed down somewhat as the season went on, but seriously, show up in the season before you declare for the draft in THAT kind of shape???? If being a millionaire doesn't motivate you enough to get lean like your average run-of-the-mill WR, will an extra million or two motivate you once you get paid????

Clearly finding a Chick-Fil-A at South Carolina isn't nearly as difficult as it is at Clemson.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
And what changed in 2011? Did Jeffrey suddenly forget how to play? Or was his starting QB kicked off the team and the backup Connor Shaw a bit limited in his ability to get Jeffrey the ball? My bet is the latter.

Jeffrey's height and ability to play the ball make him in a sense always open. Just throw the ball up to him. Creates matchup problems with his size and gives us another big target in the redzone aside from Vernon. My favorite WR in the draft so far.

Lattimore.

Once Jeffery became the main target, defenses keyed in on him and his inability to separate and propensity for slowly moving into cuts was exposed. Unless Jeffery does something at the combine to wow people, he's not going to be in the Top 6 WR's picked in this draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Jeffery = fast and slow I wouldnt be mad if we take him but I dont really want
jefferey got that muffin top going on lol

dude has bust written all over him
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

The fan-boys will be here shortly to unload both barrels on you.

With the way some folks act, I can't tell if they're 49er fans first or fans of a certain player.

I'm a huge fan of Fleener but if Brooks bounces, I'll be hoping for an OLB in the 1st round and can see the obvious downsides although Fleener is a guy who has moved up and will move up due to his attitude, intelligence and play-making ability.

Jeffery is a HUGE risk to take, possibly he can use all the negative talk as motivation, get pissed off and tear s**t up, but based on his track record, that doesn't really seem likely. He's universally sliding down draft boards and for good reason, he's really just not that impressive, he got a lot of hype but he's not especially quick, slow in making his cuts, now you have the work ethic questions(showing up chubby)......it just goes downhill from there.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

The fan-boys will be here shortly to unload both barrels on you.

With the way some folks act, I can't tell if they're 49er fans first or fans of a certain player.

I'm a huge fan of Fleener but if Brooks bounces, I'll be hoping for an OLB in the 1st round and can see the obvious downsides although Fleener is a guy who has moved up and will move up due to his attitude, intelligence and play-making ability.

Jeffery is a HUGE risk to take, possibly he can use all the negative talk as motivation, get pissed off and tear s**t up, but based on his track record, that doesn't really seem likely. He's universally sliding down draft boards and for good reason, he's really just not that impressive, he got a lot of hype but he's not especially quick, slow in making his cuts, now you have the work ethic questions(showing up chubby)......it just goes downhill from there.

His track record? 1 good, 1 great year then 1 bad year under harsh circumstances. Hes never been cut find a picture where he has been since youre questioning a work ethic. Some guys just arent built like that until they get on that Balco juice in the pros or play for the USC Trojans Hes earned that hype and for good reason because even draped he can make amazing plays. You over look his route running, concentration and his ability to attack the football. A good 40 at the combine he rises back to #2 or #1 if you look at his entire college career. Hes surprisingly quick despite what you say. Proof is he ypc and his ability to get behind defenses to make big plays. He had a hell of a Bowl game despite a injury, being not especially quick, slow in making his cuts and man titties.

Id take a pass rusher or CB over Jeffery. Id take Ingram or Branch in a heartbeat over any WR or TE. I also wouldnt complain if we got Fleener but id stay away from Sanu. Fleener if he really measures up does bring with him unique ability that I also think Jeffery has. Sanu only has had 1 good year and really imo resembles the same style of Crabtree.

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
His track record? 1 good, 1 great year then 1 bad year under harsh circumstances. Hes never been cut find a picture where he has been since youre questioning a work ethic. Some guys just arent built like that until they get on that Balco juice in the pros or play for the USC Trojans Hes earned that hype and for good reason because even draped he can make amazing plays. You over look his route running, concentration and his ability to attack the football. A good 40 at the combine he rises back to #2 or #1 if you look at his entire college career. Hes surprisingly quick despite what you say. Proof is he ypc and his ability to get behind defenses to make big plays. He had a hell of a Bowl game despite a injury, being not especially quick, slow in making his cuts and man titties.

Id take a pass rusher or CB over Jeffery. Id take Ingram or Branch in a heartbeat over any WR or TE. I also wouldnt complain if we got Fleener but id stay away from Sanu. Fleener if he really measures up does bring with him unique ability that I also think Jeffery has. Sanu only has had 1 good year and really imo resembles the same style of Crabtree.

He's f**king fat. Find me a successful chubby receiver in the NFL. It doesn't happen. You can be a RB and be somewhat rotund, but it doesn't happen with WR's, they're lean and cut because that is what the position requires, additional bodyfat only hinders progress. Bottomline Jeffery came into the season WAY out of shape for what a guy who is hoping to become a pro WR should be in. That shows laziness and lack of dedication, you don't have receivers that are genetically fat, you just have guys who are lazy, don't put in the work and possibly party too much in the offseason, none of that improves when big money is thrown into the equation.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

He slimmed down somewhat as the season went on, but seriously, show up in the season before you declare for the draft in THAT kind of shape???? If being a millionaire doesn't motivate you enough to get lean like your average run-of-the-mill WR, will an extra million or two motivate you once you get paid????

Clearly finding a Chick-Fil-A at South Carolina isn't nearly as difficult as it is at Clemson.

Richardson is f**king sexy, though.
Jeffery didn't have that fat in his bowl game. He ran right by Dennard, who people were regarding as a top 20 pick for a long while. He may be a bit of a risk, but I think late in the 1st (if he's there, which I doubt), Jeffery would be worth the shot. There may be a few other targets I'd want instead, but he hasn't left my list.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Jeffery didn't have that fat in his bowl game. He ran right by Dennard, who people were regarding as a top 20 pick for a long while. He may be a bit of a risk, but I think late in the 1st (if he's there, which I doubt), Jeffery would be worth the shot. There may be a few other targets I'd want instead, but he hasn't left my list.

i agree

but the point people are making was in offseason he got fat (eventhough he got sinnier as season went on)

because of the fact he doesnt condition well in offseason he is last on my WR list from blackmon floyd wright and sanu

if he conditions and improves his speed he will be the best WR in the draft and already he will come in and be a force in the RZ so i have no problem taking him
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

i agree

but the point people are making was in offseason he got fat (eventhough he got sinnier as season went on)

because of the fact he doesnt condition well in offseason he is last on my WR list from blackmon floyd wright and sanu

if he conditions and improves his speed he will be the best WR in the draft and already he will come in and be a force in the RZ so i have no problem taking him

That's why I love the Combine! ... but point taken, and that is why I do understand the perceived risk in selecting him. We can't be sure that once drafted, he will maintain his weight, conditioning, and effort. So yes... risky... but maybe worth the risk.
Share 49ersWebzone