There are 265 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd, Who's the #2 WR in the draft?

Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd, Who's the #2 WR in the draft?

To be honest, it seems like this class of WR's is pretty weak. Am I wrong here? If it is, this is a team that should take BPA and work with what pops out.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
To be honest, it seems like this class of WR's is pretty weak. Am I wrong here? If it is, this is a team that should take BPA and work with what pops out.

its not top heavy but has loads of talent

meaning no elite prospect (last yea had 2) but tons of 1st round to 2nd round talent at the position

I like the class a lot very deep imo.

Did we make a mistake by cutting Ronald Johnson though? Couldn't he have helped us when we were rolling with Brett Swain and Joe Hastings in the playoffs?
Michael Floyd is the better of the two. Floyd will be long gone by the time we pick. But Jeffery should be there for us. But if Mohamed Sanu is theRe I say we take him instead. Sanu has better hands. But we can't go wrong with either of them. We just have to get a WR in the first.

I think you are wrong here. This years draft class is really deep with WR. There is first round talent that could wind up in the 3rd.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
its not top heavy but has loads of talent

meaning no elite prospect (last yea had 2) but tons of 1st round to 2nd round talent at the position

I'd say Blackmons elite.

I honestly think this is a great year to get a WR. Loads of talent, like you said.

And as far as the title of this thread goes, I think after work outs Floyd will be #2 WR.
[ Edited by Engleburger on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Michael Floyd is the better of the two. Floyd will be long gone by the time we pick. But Jeffery should be there for us. But if Mohamed Sanu is theRe I say we take him instead. Sanu has better hands. But we can't go wrong with either of them. We just have to get a WR in the first.

I think you are wrong here. This years draft class is really deep with WR. There is first round talent that could wind up in the 3rd.

There are so many guys that all seem pretty good that I'm beginning to support drafting 3 WRs.

I know that sounds crazy.

But not all of them have to make the team. Even if only one of them made the team, I'd like to see them tripple their chances of getting someone good.

Think about it, we could end up with Sanu, Toon and Martin. Maybe Martin doesn't even make the team. Maybe Toon turns out to be better than Sanu. Or maybe Martin is actually the best of the bunch. With such a deep but flat WR class anything could happen.

It's like buying three raffle tickets instead of just one.

I know, people are going to hate this. But I think it makes it a crazy kind of sense.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
I'd say Blackmons elite.

I honestly think this is a great year to get a WR. Loads of talent, like you said.

And as far as the title of this thread goes, I think after work outs Floyd will be #2 WR.

hes great but not an elite prospect doesnt have that big size and isnt a burner just a solid player (like TO)

if blackmon aj green and julio jones were in same draft blackmon wouldve gone 3rd
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

There are so many guys that all seem pretty good that I'm beginning to support drafting 3 WRs.

But not all of them have to make the team. Even if only one of them made the team, I'd like to see them tripple their chances of getting someone good.

Think about it, we could end up with Sanu, Toon and Martin. Maybe Martin doesn't even make the team. Maybe Toon turns out to be better than Sanu. Or maybe Martin is actually the best of the bunch. With such a deep but flat WR class anything could happen.

I know, people are going to hate this. But I think it makes it a crazy kind of sense.

Not crazy at all. I dont think we re-sign Ginn, immense ST player but he is completely useless on offense and someone will want to pay the man. IMO we dont sign any big name receivers with the exception of Steve Johnson, I think he will be cheapest option that is a legitimate #1/#2 type guy. Even on top of that I dont see a lot of 2nd tier guys that would be worth our time on the market.

I think we will not re-sign ginn and have a massive dog fight for the #5 receiving job with Kyle Williams, Joe Hastings, John Matthews, and Dontavia Bogan all fighting for it. Maybe 2 of them even make the roster as the 4 and 5.

Which if we re-sign Morgan puts us at needing 2 receivers, 1 early in round 1 or 2 and one late round 4-6(prime location for a WR/KR guy).
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Not crazy at all. I dont think we re-sign Ginn, immense ST player but he is completely useless on offense and someone will want to pay the man. IMO we dont sign any big name receivers with the exception of Steve Johnson, I think he will be cheapest option that is a legitimate #1/#2 type guy. Even on top of that I dont see a lot of 2nd tier guys that would be worth our time on the market.

I think we will not re-sign ginn and have a massive dog fight for the #5 receiving job with Kyle Williams, Joe Hastings, John Matthews, and Dontavia Bogan all fighting for it. Maybe 2 of them even make the roster as the 4 and 5.

Which if we re-sign Morgan puts us at needing 2 receivers, 1 early in round 1 or 2 and one late round 4-6(prime location for a WR/KR guy).

iif we dont resign ginn or get FA WR we will go 3 rookie WR
Definitely Floyd if youre only giving me him and Jeffrey...although I like them both.
[ Edited by Sjceruti on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd take Floyd over Jeffery any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!

Floyd just has so much more to offer than Jeffery.

Better route runner = Floyd

Creates better separation = Floyd

Deep speed = Floyd

Better on fade routes or jump balls = Jeffery

Better yards after first contact = Jeffery -----> Floyd is pretty explosive after the catch too, but I give the edge to Jeffery due to facing better competition, this one was a hard decision.

Better hands = Floyd

Better Blocker = Floyd

Now we get a look at both and judge for yourself

Vs.

i think floyd iis more multidimensional and thus the better prospect
The cry from all Alex fans is the lack of separation 49er receivers get. Yet these same people think Mr. 4.7 250 LB Alshon jeffery would be a help in the 1st round.....Yikes.

You want separation, look for one of the speed WR's from Arkansas.
Chris Givens from Wake Forest is a name to keep your eye on. Mike Mayock has recently rated him as his 5th best WR in the draft. Givens doesn't have the size that most webzoners are looking for (6'0" 195 lbs). However, he has excellent speed, is very quick in & out of his breaks, and can create after the catch.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I've read COUNTLESS comparisons that confirm exactly what I think. I'm not the only one that compares him to Calvin.

I suppose that's true, since you technically can't count to zero ... seriously, it's pretty evident that you are a huge fan of his, which is fine. I agree that he has size, hands, timing, hops, and a knack for aggresively high-pointing the ball. Comparing him to Calvin Johnson is insane, in my mind. So much of Johnson's game is the matchup problem he presents by having elite speed AND size. NOTHING about Jeffery's game says "speed" to me. He is caught from behind with alarming frequency. I also feel that there is absolutely no excuse for a receiver to be so soft-bodied. Even if it is not a result of laziness, it is still a HUGE concern. He is only going to get fatter as his body ages and his metabolism slows down. I wouldn't pick him in the first round if he was the last receiver left, but I am not a professional, I don't have the resources that the teams have, and I would trust that Trent had done his due diligence if he decided to bring Jeffery in.
Share 49ersWebzone