LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

2012 Offseason Analysis

A disappointing end to what was a fantastic year, and I have to believe the 49ers are well positioned to perennially compete with the NFL's elite. However, this is crucial offseason for the 49ers with a lot of big decisions. Here's my take on how to approach it.

49ers Free Agents
For my money, the team's top priority should be to resign Dashon Goldson. Goldson proved to be one of the best young S in the NFL this year and, besides Justin Smith, was the 49ers best defensive player, especially down the stretch (yes that includes Willis, Bowman and Aldon Smith). Getting him resigned should be the team's top priority. After that, locking up Smith to a REASONABLE but fair contract will be important. Kyle Williams proved just how valuable Ted Ginn is to this team and I would certainly like to keep him. The other player the 49ers MUST resign is LB Blake Costanzo who is a killer on ST. Almost everyone else I consider a "nice-to-have" where price will dictate what the 49ers do. Clearly it would be great to have CB Carlos Rogers back, but I'm not going to shell out crazy money for a 31 year old CB.

Must-Haves
Re-sign S Dashon Goldson to 4 Year $30M Deal
Re-sign QB Alex Smith to 3 Year $25M Deal with incentives to make it $30M+ and option for 4th Year
Re-sign KR/WR Ted Ginn Jr. to 3 Year $9-10M Deal
Re-sign OL Adam Snyder to 4 Year $12-$15M Deal
Re-sign LB Blake Costanzo to 3 Year $6.5-$9M Deal

Nice-to-Haves (if price is right)
CB Carlos Rogers @ 3 Years $21-$24M
OLB Ahmad Brooks @ 3 Years $13-$16M
WR Josh Morgan @ 3 Years $10-$14M
LB Larry Grant @ 3 Years $6M
CB Tremaine Brock 3 Years $4M

NFL Free Agency
I agree with the 49ers approach to not overspend on much-hyped FAs and find bargains and I don't think that they will overpay for any one player. BUT I do think the 49ers will at very least heavily explore bringing in an explosive play. Other positions I expect the 49ers to look at will be OG and CB.

Top FA Targets
WR Dwayne Bowe Chiefs - big, strong, fast and a real playmaker, Bowe would instantly give this team a much needed upgrade on the outside

WR Desean Jackson Eagles - DJack comes with some baggage, but he is as explosive as it gets and gives the 49ers a true vertical threat for the first time since John Taylor

OG Carl Nicks Saints - the Saints will be hard-pressed to re-sign Nicks and if the 49ers opt to let Snyder walk, Nicks could be a welcome addition to a young and already physical OL

2012 Draft
The 49ers are in position to draft the best player available with the 30th pick and this promises to be a deep draft. Depending on what happens with their own free agents, the 49ers will surely look to add help at WR, CB, OLB, and OG.

Some players to keep an eye on include WRs Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd, CBs Janoris Jenkins and Sephon Gilmore and OLs David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn.

2012 Mock Offseason
Re-sign S Dashon Goldson
Re-sign QB Alex Smith
Re-sign OL Adam Snyder
Re-sign WR Ted Ginn Jr.
Re-sign OLB Ahmad Brooks
Re-sign LB Blake Costanzo
Re-sign LB Larry Grant

Sign WR Dewayne Bowe Chiefs
Sign CB Eric Wright Lions

Draft OG/OC Peter Konz Wisconsin 6'5" 315
Draft CB Trumaine Johnson Montana 6'3" 197
Draft WR Ryan Broyles Oklahoma 5'10" 188
Draft DL DaJohn Harris USC 6'4" 310
Draft RB Cyrus Gray Texas A&M 5'10" 205

49ers 2012 Roster
Offense:
QB: Alex Smith / Colin Kaepernick / Scott Tolzien
RB: Frank Gore / Kendall Hunter / Cyrus Gray
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Dewayne Bowe / Michael Crabtree / Ryan Broyles / Ted Ginn Jr. / Kyle Williams
TE: Vernon Davis / Delanie Walker / Konrad Reuland or FA or Draft Pick
OT: Joe Staley / Anthony Davis / Alex Boone / Mike Person
OG: Mike Iupati / Peter Konz / Adam Snyder / Daniel Kilgore
OC: Jonathan Goodwin / (Peter Konz)
Defense:
DE: Justin Smith / Ray McDonald / Demarcus Dobbs / DaJohn Harris
NT: Isaac Sopoaga / Ricky Jean-Francois
OLB: Aldon Smith / Ahmad Brooks / Parys Haralson
ILB: Patrick Willis / NaVorro Bowman / Larry Grant / Blake Costanzo
CB: Terrell Brown / Chris Culliver / Eric Wright / Trumaine Johnson / Cory Nelms or Draft or FA
S: Dashon Goldson / Donte Whitner / CJ Spillman / Colin Jones

K: David Akers
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
WR: Dewayne Bowe / Michael Crabtree / Ryan Broyles / Ted Ginn Jr. / Kyle Williams

Williams will not be back.
We need WRs, RB - Gore is not playing like Gore of old, RG, Center, a better pass catching TE for Delanie Walker, and backfield - CB, SS, FS.

I think QB is settled with Smith, Cap, and Tolzien.

I think we need to get an additional OLB, and we need to settle the DL for backups - starters are good for another 2-3 seasons.

Another year in this system should clean up a lot of material and we should be better with our offense.

Oline needs to find a place for Boone and Kilgore, and get Rachal out of their. We probably need Snyder to be all around player but a new Center and new RG will help the offensive line.

The last issue will be to settle our free agents, bring 1-2 new free agents in and get ready for the draft. This years draft will be a very big issue for us to fill in our needs and to get solid backups to develop into starters. I don't want backups to train to be backups.

Lots of issues to settle.
wont be able to sign all those people with $$$

good idea though
Originally posted by mayo49:

Why? Cause of the 2 fumbles? That's asinine to think that. People have bad games and make mistakes. Harbaugh's motto "The Team. The Team. The Team." goes to show he doesn't hold Kyle solely responsible for the loss. Which some of you hot headed fans don't understand. Kyle didn't lose it. It was a team effort to lose that game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Why? Cause of the 2 fumbles? That's asinine to think that. People have bad games and make mistakes. Harbaugh's motto "The Team. The Team. The Team." goes to show he doesn't hold Kyle solely responsible for the loss. Which some of you hot headed fans don't understand. Kyle didn't lose it. It was a team effort to lose that game.

He'll get booed until the cows come home. Too, much anamocity from the fans. Best just to let him go.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM ]

He'll get booed until the cows come home. Too, much anamocity from the fans. Best just to let him go.

Alex Smith proved that's not true.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

You got a point, but it isn't like we can't replace Williams. He's a backup reciever. There's plenty of those in the draft and FA.

So when did you start working in the front office?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

So when did you start working in the front office?

Ah, pipe it up, buddy.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM ]

You got a point, but it isn't like we can't replace Williams. He's a backup reciever. There's plenty of those in the draft and FA.
Yeah, those can be found, but how many are willing to block anyone like Williams will, will go back there and return kicks with a possible separated shoulder. I like the kids toughness, he had a lot of good catches this year too. I think him have a bad game and "getting cut" because of it, won't happen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, those can be found, but how many are willing to block anyone like Williams will, will go back there and return kicks with a possible separated shoulder. I like the kids toughness, he had a lot of good catches this year too. I think him have a bad game and "getting cut" because of it, won't happen.

Why put the kid through what is going to happen. The fans will never let him forget that fumble that handed the Giants a win.

Why put the kid through what is going to happen. The fans will never let him forget that fumble that handed the Giants a win.
Are we coddling our players now?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It wasn't a regular season game. It was the NFC Championship game. Again, the fans won't let him forget it.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM ]

It wasn't a regular season game. It was the NFC Championship game. Again, the fans won't let him forget it.
Lets just agree to disagree. We'll see what happens in FA and the Draft and all the preseason stuff next year. I don't want to highjack this thread.
Share 49ersWebzone