LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Kiper's new 2011 49ers draft grade

From ESPN insider...

Post-draft grade: C+

Summary: This one deserves a big jump. I said then that Aldon Smith wasn't as much of a reach at No. 7 as some thought because he had so much momentum going into the draft, but my goodness, I don't think anybody thought he'd be this good this early. I saw him as a bit of a project -- which sounds like a shot, but I meant something closer to Jason Pierre-Paul, a major talent who could see his production pick up later in his rookie year as he learned the craft. Then he'd become a great player in his second year. Well, it's safe to say Smith's overall ability has outweighed technique questions. He was good early, he was good late and he will be a star. But he wasn't the only good pick. Chris Culliver will become a steady starter in the secondary and is a great value in the third round. Kendall Hunter was good spelling Frank Gore and could become the No. 1 back as soon as next season. Daniel Kilgore made the roster as guard depth. Colin Kaepernick is obviously a wild card here, but if Alex Smith re-signs for a number of years, Kaepernick's development becomes more of a moot point. And after the run on quarterbacks early, at least the Niners didn't target one early only to have him sit behind Smith. Their strategy paid off. Given the progress on the field this season and the help this draft provided, the Niners deserve a big bump. Kudos to them.

New grade: A
Don't forget Bruce Miller Mel. An OLB switching to FB and playing a key role = A+
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I know conventional wisdom says to wait three years to judge a draft. But I'd say snagging two probowl players (Smith and Miller) garners a legit A+ grade after year one.
Thanks for posting! I was just about to create a similar post.

It's good to see Mel re-evaluate his initial impressions.
Thanks for the post.

Nice to see Mel acknowledge what has been acomplished.
Thanks for getting this on the board. I saw it but could not read it. Baalke did it again.
somebody needs to ask Mayock what he thinks b/c he wasn't as nice as Mel was. He killed the Culliver pick. Just wait til next after Aldon gets a full off season of work.
I always liked Mel, he may not be popular by all, but I just like him. And his hair is a plus,
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I always liked Mel, he may not be popular by all, but I just like him. And his hair is a plus,

i get the feeling he spends all his off time in strip clubs

I like Mel also and I even like McShay. I just like listening to guys who speak well on a subject they are genuinely passionate about. They aren't perfect in every thing they say, but you can tell they love what they do.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I like Mel also and I even like McShay. I just like listening to guys who speak well on a subject they are genuinely passionate about. They aren't perfect in every thing they say, but you can tell they love what they do.

exactly, he loves his job and i respect that, and like him. I like when Mel gets on McShay. Like McShay said RG3 was a WR or RB in NFL like 3 months ago, and now he is 6th on his big board, and as a QB.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks for the post.

Nice to see Mel acknowledge what has been acomplished.

This
Originally posted by lamontb:
somebody needs to ask Mayock what he thinks b/c he wasn't as nice as Mel was. He killed the Culliver pick. Just wait til next after Aldon gets a full off season of work.

I remember the 1st words out of his mouth. Something along the lines of, 3 years ago, he was at his senior prom. Well it's been 4 years since his prom. How does he look now?
The only one that didn't pan out was Ronald Johnson. CK, Person and Kilgore didn't contribute but all made the team. This draft had a potential start (Smith), a starter (Miller) and another potential starter or two (Culliver, Kilgore), plus some solid contributors (Hunter and Jones). This can't be anything but an A grade, even if CK doesn't pan out.
Originally posted by ninergold:
The only one that didn't pan out was Ronald Johnson. CK, Person and Kilgore didn't contribute but all made the team. This draft had a potential start (Smith), a starter (Miller) and another potential starter or two (Culliver, Kilgore), plus some solid contributors (Hunter and Jones). This can't be anything but an A grade, even if CK doesn't pan out.

agreed. We got 5 contributors. Aldon was the best of them, with 14 sacks, Hunter had nearly 500 yards rushing I believe, Culliver did well as a 3rd CB, Miller was a great pick, he helped Gore in blocking. And Jones is a STs beast, always down the field making the tackles.
Share 49ersWebzone