LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

• mayo49
  • Veteran
You see the size of Hills' feet in that video?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Smalls:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams at Hills pro day

NFL TEAMS PRESENT: We didn't have an official count, but it looked like 31 of the 32 teams were present. San Francisco appeared to be the only team not present. Here are the teams that were certainly on hand: Falcons, Saints, Raiders, Eagles, Bills, Bears, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, Rams, Panthers, Vikings, Colts, Dolphins, Titans, Broncos, Lions, and Texans.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/03/06/hill-has-strong-showing-at-georgia-techs-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Making it seem like we dont want him, nice move Baalke
Either showing we have interest, or making it clear we don't. Either way this guy seems like the real deal, that catch against NC was sweet.

I think if we made it clear that we don't have interest, we wouldn't have interviewed him at the Combine, after all he does a good interview when he was on NFLN, seems like hes got a good head on his shoulders.
Originally posted by valrod33:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock reported that Hill caught 28 of the 33 balls that went his way.Don't be fooled by the 49ers' absence. He was one of the players they interviewed at the scouting combine, and they appear to be in a good position to take him in the draft

Short video of GTs pro day
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030612aaa.html

Oh thank God
Not really impressed by his routes on the few that I saw there. Very rounded. Which in a way is good...means he can get better.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Oh thank God

Gotta agree. Plus: Mega potential Cons: Incomplete resume with only 49 catches in his college career.

I'm thinking we'll make a play for Mike Wallace.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He may turn into a solid pro. But there is a little too much hype around here for me to buy-in.

This guy has other reasons for being originally considered a late 2nd round pick that go deeper than simply playing in GT's offense.

I feel sorry for this kid in a way. His 40 time got the hype train moving. He might be expected to be something he's not by whichever team selects him. More pressure than a late 1st would normally have to deal with.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:
Gotta agree. Plus: Mega potential Cons: Incomplete resume with only 49 catches in his college career.

you know he was saying oh thank god because of the fact that we still interviewed at the combine so we obviously have some interest in him? You're vague in your response but to me it looks like you think he was happy we avoided his pro day.
Originally posted by sfout:
you know he was saying oh thank god because of the fact that we still interviewed at the combine so we obviously have some interest in him? You're vague in your response but to me it looks like you think he was happy we avoided his pro day.

Ah, sorry...misunderstood. Don't get me wrong, I like Stephen Hill but not in the first round. We've gambled and lost on too many receivers of late. We need to hit a home run on this one. That's why I like Wallace. I do think he's worth a big contract because he's less of a gamble and more on a known entity.
Oh thank God

I honestly don't see it. Trading a 1st rounder and then giving Wallace a huge contract just doesn't sound like something Baalke would do, especially with Crabtree already playing through a large contract.

Hill may be getting overhyped, but with good reason. Georgia Tech has sent the NFL Calvin Johnson and D-Thomas, and who's to say Hill can't be next in line in good to great receivers out of that program? He's got a lot of potential and I feel that our coaching staff could really get the best out of him.
I honestly don't see it. Trading a 1st rounder and then giving Wallace a huge contract just doesn't sound like something Baalke would do, especially with Crabtree already playing through a large contract.

Hill may be getting overhyped, but with good reason. Georgia Tech has sent the NFL Calvin Johnson and D-Thomas, and who's to say Hill can't be next in line in good to great receivers out of that program? He's got a lot of potential and I feel that our coaching staff could really get the best out of him.

It took me awhile to come up with my conclusion but I'll stick with my guns. Agreed it's not very Baalke like to sign Wallace but it would make sense to do so. Too many of the receivers this year are big, tall, slower, possession guys (Sanu, Jeffery, Floyd, Fuller). They would be great to augment receivers who are burners. The Niners however lack team speed on offense and need burners to augment their possession receivers (Crabtree and Morgan..assuming he's resigned).

Watch Baalke bite the bullet and offer a contract to Wallace. He's young, experienced and runs a pretty good route. More importantly, he stretches the defense and gets separation. There's a lot to like. Sure Hill can do the same but he's a bigger gamble.

It took me awhile to come up with my conclusion but I'll stick with my guns. Agreed it's not very Baalke like to sign Wallace but it would make sense to do so. Too many of the receivers this year are big, tall, slower, possession guys (Sanu, Jeffery, Floyd, Fuller). They would be great to augment receivers who are burners. The Niners however lack team speed on offense and need burners to augment their possession receivers (Crabtree and Morgan..assuming he's resigned).

Watch Baalke bite the bullet and offer a contract to Wallace. He's young, experienced and runs a pretty good route. More importantly, he stretches the defense and gets separation. There's a lot to like. Sure Hill can do the same but he's a bigger gamble.

Sure, we need a burner for sure, mainly to stretch the field, but we made it pretty far last season without one. Our main problem is that we didn't have that big redzone target and this draft is filled with them. Hill, Jeffery, Quick, , etc. but if you want burners, there are a few of those too with Adams, Jones, etc.

I'm sure the FO will take a look at Wallace, but I don't see them getting in a bidding war for him.
Sure, we need a burner for sure, mainly to stretch the field, but we made it pretty far last season without one. Our main problem is that we didn't have that big redzone target and this draft is filled with them. Hill, Jeffery, Quick, , etc. but if you want burners, there are a few of those too with Adams, Jones, etc.

I'm sure the FO will take a look at Wallace, but I don't see them getting in a bidding war for him.
The reason why I think we need burners is Alex's propensity to hold on to the ball unless it's a sure throw. The guy that gets the most separation is Vernon and that's why he gets the lionshare of the throws targeted at him.

I'd love to see Wallace and Adams (who can double as a return man) on the squad. We need to find a way to pin the opposing defense on it's ears. You do this with team speed which we sorely lack at the moment.

I'm normally a patient guy but our window to win is NOW! I don't want to wait two years for Stephen Hill to develop his pass running skills. Wallace is an instant fix and an instant threat. Having him on the field gets the safeties out of the box which opens Crabtree for the underneath stuff, gets pressure off Frank etc.
  • mike
  • Veteran

Yeah it's just not a baalke type of move to give away a draft pick AND pay big money to get a free agent here, when there are cheaper FAs and even cheaper prospects. Above all we're a fiscally sound team that isn't going to put a ton of cash on the line for someone who may or may not succeed here(lets be honest, we don't play a Steelers style offense and alex is not roethlisberger with his deep ball, it IS a risk putting all that money in a deep ball receiver).

I think the Edwards failed experiment only made us further realize that it is a big 3rd down/redzone target that we're missing. End a few drives with TDs instead of field goals and we've got ourselves a much improved offense.

Plus with Hill's 4.35, I think what makes him so attractive is that he's not a tight end he can become someone who burns dbs with his height then burns them further with his legs.

However, a "burner" like Wright would make me really happy too mainly because his freaky vertical jump makes up for any height disadvantages, but I doubt he falls that far.

#!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Not really impressed by his routes on the few that I saw there. Very rounded. Which in a way is good...means he can get better.

You do realize the few routes you saw in the video were ones were someone was directing him which way to make the cut right? It's to show quickness and decisiveness in his cuts and he did that........and still caught all his passes.
Share 49ersWebzone