LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Here is fat Alshon on the pre-season cover of SI's College Football Mag. this season.

I'd have to see pics from the rest of his offseasons but maybe he just doesn't work out when the seasons over and then he busts his a** when it's time to work. Obviously that won't work in the NFL but he looked cut during the bowl game.
So you'd take a questionable work ethic who relies solely on his talents to get by? I wouldn't. Everyone in the NFL is talented. The great ones are the ones that work hard always.

FWIW, I'm one of the few that's in the "Don't Draft a 1st Rd.WR" bandwagon. Good to Great WRs can be had at any round in the draft and as UDFAs.

exactly, im not risking trading up or taking someone in the 1st who goes to golden corral every day during the off season and then decides to work during the season when it can be too late. i do not want to go through a mike williams dilemma, just think when jeffrey becomes a millionaire and gets even more complacent than he did in college. the fines that mike williams got for being overweight didnt stop him from eating still knowing he got paid and i dont want to end up cutting the guy after 3 yrs then he wakes up works hard and becomes a beast with an other team possibly
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Nothing delusional about his speed. Having watched him as much as possible living in USC Gamecock country I know hes damn fast. Same goes for CJ you honestly think CJ didnt have questions about his speed before he ran? If Jeffery didnt have to slow up for deep throws he would never be touched. Its also a very rare sighting to him caught from behind. Or if you wanna bring up his speed this year playing hurt all year with another season of 2 QBs who sucked. Go ahead its not surprising you or anyone question him not getting much seperation or his speed. Just take into account he was gimpy all year even played with a broke hand. Its a big reason why this is the only year he had issues getting seperation well that and the other receivers for USC suck complete balls. Watch his highlights or talk to another guy who watched Gamecock football and call Jeffery slow. His burst isnt elite but for a 6ft4 240 WR its pretty damn good.

Im saving my delusions for Lattimore as he imho the best damn RB I have ever seen. Hes gonna be and surpass Barry Sanders when he gets into the NFL.

A couple of things:

I live in South Carolina and have followed Alshon since he was in high school.

Alshon broke his hand in the final game of the regular season.

Calvin Johnson never had any questions about his speed. He has always been a perfect combination of size, speed, strength, coordination, hands, awareness, etc.

You've lost all credibility when you say Latt will be better than Barry Sanders. Once again, you seem to have a problem with ascertaining speed. Lattimore is a great, tough runner, but he also lacks top end speed, and that was before he blew his knee out. I think Latt will have a great NFL career provided he recovers fully, but he isn't in the same universe as Adrian Peterson, much less Barry Sanders. Come on, man.
this guy has bigger man-titties than i do. NEXT
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Nothing delusional about his speed. Having watched him as much as possible living in USC Gamecock country I know hes damn fast. Same goes for CJ you honestly think CJ didnt have questions about his speed before he ran? If Jeffery didnt have to slow up for deep throws he would never be touched. Its also a very rare sighting to him caught from behind. Or if you wanna bring up his speed this year playing hurt all year with another season of 2 QBs who sucked. Go ahead its not surprising you or anyone question him not getting much seperation or his speed. Just take into account he was gimpy all year even played with a broke hand. Its a big reason why this is the only year he had issues getting seperation well that and the other receivers for USC suck complete balls. Watch his highlights or talk to another guy who watched Gamecock football and call Jeffery slow. His burst isnt elite but for a 6ft4 240 WR its pretty damn good.

Im saving my delusions for Lattimore as he imho the best damn RB I have ever seen. Hes gonna be and surpass Barry Sanders when he gets into the NFL.

A couple of things:

Calvin Johnson never had any questions about his speed. He has always been a perfect combination of size, speed, strength, coordination, hands, awareness, etc.

You've lost all credibility when you say Latt will be better than Barry Sanders. Once again, you seem to have a problem with ascertaining speed. Lattimore is a great, tough runner, but he also lacks top end speed, and that was before he blew his knee out. I think Latt will have a great NFL career provided he recovers fully, but he isn't in the same universe as Adrian Peterson, much less Barry Sanders. Come on, man.

Well glad to know ur from South Carolina. I absolutely love that state and its people. I followed Jeffery since he first started playing for USC. Im sure ive annoyed people talking him up earlier this year. You talking down on his speed is imo just silly. Also Jeffery was dealing with nagging injuries and poor QB all this season well before he broke his hand. Check Aiken Standard Archives you will see for yourself. CJ did have questions on his speed due to his size and the fact he wasnt gonna run but did in another dudes shoes for 4.23 i think. They thought he was 4.4 4.5 but he killed every scouts assumptions with that run. Jefferys projected time is 4.5 for his size thats damn fast If he can stay in the 4.4s hes a definate top 15 pick in not 16 to 32 and hes a perfect fit for our team. No off the field issues, humble, good work ethic, and amazing hands leaping body control.

Now ur trashing Lattimores top end speed thats just Tiger talk I did say my delusions were saved for Lattimore because buddy is a full package RB unlike any Clemson kitty. Sure you got ur track star RB n WR at Clemson but they have no power to break a tackle or get thru a jam n constant double teams. If youre not a Clemson fan my apologies but i was in Carolina long enough to know what ya all talk like
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Good ol' Mel Kiper thinks that as long as Blackmon is taken in the top 5 that Jeffery will be gone before the 10th pick. That entire idea probably hinges on his medical and 40 time but that basically tells me that it's nearly a lock that neither Floyd or Jeffery fall past #15. ESPN's playoff predictor has us losing to the Pack in the title game so we'd be picking at 29 or 30, meaning we'd have to give up at least 400 on top of our 1st round(2nd & 3rd round would work) points just to get up to the 15th pick or more likely 700 to get the #10 pick(2011: 1st 2nd 3rd and probably our 2012 2nd - at that point we might as well add another pick and trade all the way up for Blackmon). That's a lot to give up in a trade for a WR when we're essentially looking for a #3/4, if we re-sign Morgan he'll start opposite crabtree and KW would have the inside track for the #3 role. Morgan won't re-sign a 3 or 4 year deal with us if he even thinks they're drafting his replacement.

Harbaugh wants Morgan back, I don't think he'll go for an early WR if he gets Morgan to come back.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

A couple of things:

Well glad to know ur from South Carolina. I absolutely love that state and its people. I followed Jeffery since he first started playing for USC. Im sure ive annoyed people talking him up earlier this year. You talking down on his speed is imo just silly. Also Jeffery was dealing with nagging injuries and poor QB all this season well before he broke his hand. Check Aiken Standard Archives you will see for yourself. CJ did have questions on his speed due to his size and the fact he wasnt gonna run but did in another dudes shoes for 4.23 i think. They thought he was 4.4 4.5 but he killed every scouts assumptions with that run. Jefferys projected time is 4.5 for his size thats damn fast If he can stay in the 4.4s hes a definate top 15 pick in not 16 to 32 and hes a perfect fit for our team. No off the field issues, humble, good work ethic, and amazing hands leaping body control.

Now ur trashing Lattimores top end speed thats just Tiger talk I did say my delusions were saved for Lattimore because buddy is a full package RB unlike any Clemson kitty. Sure you got ur track star RB n WR at Clemson but they have no power to break a tackle or get thru a jam n constant double teams. If youre not a Clemson fan my apologies but i was in Carolina long enough to know what ya all talk like

damn both of yall from SC? we shouldve hung out at 5 pts when i was living there
Nice scouting report by Wes Bunting, didn't like his moc earlier this week but I do think he does a nice job in the breakdowns of his scouting reports.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Just-how-good-is-South-Carolina-WR-Alshon-Jeffery.html

In 2 words: NOT ELITE
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Nice scouting report by Wes Bunting, didn't like his moc earlier this week but I do think he does a nice job in the breakdowns of his scouting reports.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Just-how-good-is-South-Carolina-WR-Alshon-Jeffery.html

This is the only part I care about

will be a dangerous threat inside the red zone where he doesn't have to run away from defenders.
Originally posted by valrod33:

will be a dangerous threat inside the red zone where he doesn't have to run away from defenders.
i want my 1st rd pick to be able to do everything not just calling him in when we reach the rz so then when he comes in the defense will know the ball is going to him
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

i want my 1st rd pick to be able to do everything not just calling him in when we reach the rz so then when he comes in the defense will know the ball is going to him

double team him then and leave crabtree and vernon with one on one coverage

#WINNING

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

yup, basically if you're gonna draft a 6'4"+ WR only for redzone targets might as well take one on day 3
AJ can do more than just catch balls in the redzone. The guy has dominated some of the best defenses in the collegeg ame his entire career. That was evident by what he did to Nebraska matched up against a 1st round projected CB. He's exactly the type of WR we need in this offense.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
AJ can do more than just catch balls in the redzone. The guy has dominated some of the best defenses in the collegeg ame his entire career. That was evident by what he did to Nebraska matched up against a 1st round projected CB. He's exactly the type of WR we need in this offense.

I think his size mismatch helped him out against Dennard. Dennard is probably going to measure in below 5-10, while Jeffery is going to weigh in close to 6-4. He's got about 6-7 inches of height and 25 pounds on Dennard. I'm not super shocked he did well.

I worry about Alshon. He averaged only about 58 yards per game this season, which included three separate disappearing acts for three straight weeks against SEC teams for 17, 19, and 17 yard efforts against Tennesee, Arkansas, and Florida, respectively. Also, only 2 catches for 34 yards against Vanderbilt and CB Casey Hayward. Last year was terrific statistically. What happened in 2011?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think his size mismatch helped him out against Dennard. Dennard is probably going to measure in below 5-10, while Jeffery is going to weigh in close to 6-4. He's got about 6-7 inches of height and 25 pounds on Dennard. I'm not super shocked he did well.

I worry about Alshon. He averaged only about 58 yards per game this season, which included three separate disappearing acts for three straight weeks against SEC teams for 17, 19, and 17 yard efforts against Tennesee, Arkansas, and Florida, respectively. Also, only 2 catches for 34 yards against Vanderbilt and CB Casey Hayward. Last year was terrific statistically. What happened in 2011?

bad case of the munchies
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
this guy has bigger man-titties than i do. NEXT

means nothing without pictures
Share 49ersWebzone