LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
he gets fat

that was freshman year i think

if you look at him suring the season last year and this year he doesnt look like that at all

Looked fat at the beginning of this year too on SI's cover of all places.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That SI cover almost looks photoshopped with how his tricep and bicep dont really match up... almost like they tried to give him more muscle tone.
this thread is going to be hilarious in a month
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
this thread is going to be hilarious in a month
I honestly hope he runs like a 4.4 and demonstrates tremendous leaping ability at the combine, that way someone will pick him considerably earlier and when he busts, that will be their problem.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I honestly hope he runs like a 4.4 and demonstrates tremendous leaping ability at the combine, that way someone will pick him considerably earlier and when he busts, that will be their problem.

if he runs a 4.4 i doubt he vusts

his only problem is speed thats it

Speed..... and cheesecake
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That SI cover almost looks photoshopped with how his tricep and bicep dont really match up... almost like they tried to give him more muscle tone.

LOL it looks like alshon is the de and jared crick is the tall wr

LOL.....no, the guy is still slow. Just like you have guys who run 4.6....4.7 but manage to look fast as hell out on the football field, Jeffery seemingly can't get separation against defensive backs, he dominated guys who he had a tremendous height advantage over and was essentially shut down by some taller defensive backs, the guy went several games with less than 25 yds receiving. In no way shape or form do I think he's going to be successful in the NFL other than as a complementary receiver for a team with a lot of weapons such as the Packers, Saints or Patriots.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Speed..... and cheesecake

Apparently he can't say no to dat dere fried chicken. Then people come back with "he's just genetically that way." FUUUUUUU, if he's got a thyroid issue, he needs to get it checked out, otherwise there's no genetic condition that requires you to keep a fork or spoon in your mouth. I'm a guy with a slow ass metabolism, always have had one, I had to be extra careful to keep weight off but I was never in chubby shape like that when I was playing sports, with all the training and workouts, I'd have to have kept shoving food in my mouth incessantly to keep the added weight on.

Still boggles my mind that a supposed elite receiver can show up in that kind of shape, I mean damn, and that's before he gets paid and starts cracking bottles at the club.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
Mike Williams 2.0... mine as well call him Bubba for now on.

This sure isn't helping matters for him.

The video below this shows a very impressive catch by Jeffery but is one more thing that really concerns me about the guy, he makes a nice grab, and then gets run down by a safety when he should have been in the end-zone already, that's the lack of speed I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yJuUTAmq6I&feature=player_embedded

According to Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande, "many teams" rate South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery as a late first- to second-round pick.Per Lande, Jeffery "lacks explosiveness and top-end speed," and did not show improvement in either area as a junior before declaring for the draft. One rumor surfaced Monday that Jeffery has run in the high-4.8s at a bloated 249 pounds during pre-draft workouts. Jeffery's forty time at the Combine will have a huge impact on his draft stock, but it's clear that he's no longer regarded as a candidate to be selected in the top ten. Feb. 13 - 5:12 pm et Source: Sporting News
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]
NFL Draft wizards everywhere who still wear a T-shirt in the swimming pool started talking about how he has trouble containing his weight. They questioned his motivation and began moving him down draft boards labeling him the next Dwayne Jarrett or Big Mike Williams. A big body with hands that cannot separate, cannot get into routes quick enough, and who will end up getting too fat.

His trainer sees things differently. Jeffery is now stationed at the Athlete's Compound in Tampa where many of super-agent Eugene Parker's clients go to prepare for NFL Draft season. His training is being overseen by their Director of Performance who has worked with athletes ranging from Ndamukong Suh to Derek Jeter who he personally trains in the MLB off season. Jeffrey is currently facing a regimen of 9-hour days that looks like this:

Day 1: Track Work Day 2: Position-Specific (Routes, 3-cones, speed cuts, etc) Day 3: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 4: Track Work Day 5: Position Specific Day 6: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 7: film / relax / extra massage, recovery, etc.

Jeffrey's most often criticized attributes of his game are as follows:

"He has weight issues"

"He's a diamond in the rough" Jeffery's trainer said. "He's taken to all of it so well. Our program is about learning how to be a pro, making that transition. Understanding the value of rest, regeneration and nutrition in the same way you value the actual 'working out'. The first thing we looked at with Alshon was making sure we didn't lose any bit of his muscle mass. Not that he was out of shape when he got here, but (with all these guys) our job is to make sure their bodies are in the best position to get the biggest return (on the various tests.) That means maximizing angle and force production as well as explosiveness while pounding fundamentals. (Alshon's) got a bright future ahead of him. As far as his exact weight- ahh- it doesn't even really matter. If there are issues about that, I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that"

"He is slow."

Jeffery has run the 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's and is projected to run between a 4.45 and a 4.65 at the NFL scouting combine. When I asked his trainer where he was in testing for the .40, he just told me that if you look at those numbers, he will be in perfect position and form to be on "the better side of that."

"He doesn't come off the line of scrimmage fast enough and makes sloppy cuts."

"If I'm going to compare him to anyone, as far as that stuff- breaks, line explosion, change of direction- He's got it. Guys like Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, James Hardy- obviously he's a bigger guy but he's fast and moves as well as any of those guys with that stuff."

damn 9 hour workouts a day

hes trying at least
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

According to Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande, "many teams" rate South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery as a late first- to second-round pick.Per Lande, Jeffery "lacks explosiveness and top-end speed," and did not show improvement in either area as a junior before declaring for the draft. One rumor surfaced Monday that Jeffery has run in the high-4.8s at a bloated 249 pounds during pre-draft workouts. Jeffery's forty time at the Combine will have a huge impact on his draft stock, but it's clear that he's no longer regarded as a candidate to be selected in the top ten. Feb. 13 - 5:12 pm et Source: Sporting News
that rumor has been proven false that rumor said he ran a 4.88 and weighed 249 in indy this offseason he hasnt been in indy all year hes been working in TB
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
This guy is a monster we need someone like him. He's the next plaxico/colston

oops

this guy is way too slow and fat
There was a rumor floating around that he was up to 249 not too long ago and running a 4.88. Obviously just rumors, but given his history with showing up overweight it is a bit scary. I think that he will show up to the combine at 230 and run a 4.65, which wouldn't be too bad for him.

link to rumor

I hope he shows up at the combine in shape and runs a decent time. I would really like him on the 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone