There are 185 users in the forums

Need at WR - who are you drafting?

Need at WR - who are you drafting?

how about someone who is 6'4 and a playmaker. but of the two we need a playmaker, someone to get attention off davis
Originally posted by niners9:
how about someone who is 6'4 and a playmaker. but of the two we need a playmaker, someone to get attention off davis

i think 6 4 would be better

someone who will constantly beat the one n one necause of size
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this is a myth

being 6'4" doesn't = constantly beating one on one
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I'm ok with taking Quick or Criner in later rounds, I'd be ok with Fuller later on too

also would be ok with taking T.Y. Hilton on day 3 should we need to replace Ginn

I'm higher on KW10 than you are, but I can see the concerns with injuries

I really like Quick, reminds me of Plexico
Mohamed Sanu.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I think there are plenty of WR's worthy of the 30th overall pick and unless we pick a stud WR in FA this pick HAS GOT TO BE A WIDE RECEIVER

Yea the last 2 games have made it beyond obvious that we will be drafting a WR first. When your #1 receiver in 2 playoff games is a TE with 300 yards and 4 TDs and you're RB is the #2 target you know you need WRs.

Vrabbit - I think its gotten so bad that drafting a WR at #30 and probably even round 4 or 5 plus signing someone in FA not necessarily Colston or VJAX but we legitimately need to look at potentially adding 2 or 3 bodies this off season. If we could re-sign Ginn then it really becomes 2 people but we should probably in no particular order have a WR group like - FA WR / Draft / Morgan / Crabtree / Ginn and possibly even a 6th receiver on top of that.

Colston is the key. IF (big IF) we could sign him (TALL), then a smaller fast receiver in the first round would be fine. At the present time, it is all speculation but he is the only FA that I see as providing a specific need. Getting him would not only strengthen the 49ers but weaken a conference opponent that the team will play again next season. Without Colston, drafting a tall guy is the major goal.

Agreed. Sydney Rice signed a 5 year $41 Million(with an extra $3 mill of incentives) deal last season and that will be the deal that Colston's agent uses as a comparable. I think we could afford to offer him a comprable deal but it would be a close call. However this is all a moot point if he gets franchised, hopefully they cant come to an agreement with Brees and have to use it on him or they get smart and use it on Nicks because he's already 28 or 29 and you know his play will fall off by the time that $50 Million deal starts hitting those backend heavy base salary numbers.

Offering Colston $8 Million a year would put us at $37 million if the cap space actually carries over and we cut Shawntae Spencer. $37 million to sign Alex, Brooks, Rogers, Goldson plus our FAs seems a bit of a stretch.

-Rumors have it like this Alex getting $8 mill a year over 3 years = $24 M
-Not the exact same position but the Bills gave Nick Barnett a 3 year $12 M deal so thats what Brooks has an higher but comparable IMO. He'll have to wait for Mario Williams and Jarret Johnson to set the market though.
-We offered Goldson 5 years for $25 so I'm sure he'll get a slightly better offer maybe the same amount but a 4 year deal
-Rogers will want somewhere between Cromarte($32 M 4 yrs) and Johnathan Joseph money($48 M 5 yrs) however Rogers is older so he'll probably get closer to Cromartie money

That's an a likely first year base of $8M, $6M, $6, and $8M respectively or a total of $28 Million out of $37M allotted just for those 4 players. Can we really re-sign Constanzo, Ginn, Grant, Gooden, Morgan, Reggie, Snyder, Madieu with that remaining $9M??? Much less our draft picks.....

Costanzo should and will be back he is Seely's guy = 3 mill over 3 years imo
Morgan has JH's support to return = 1 year $3M deal since he is recovering with the idea that we want him to show his skills
Ginn should be back as KR/#5 WR = maybe a $6M deal over 3 years
Gooden should be back because we actually wanted to trade something for him before the ravens cut him. but expendable. another $3M 3 yr deal
Grant, I would love to have back but he will command a Nick Barnett-esque deal to retain 3 years 10M or we lose him
Reggie, we know what we have in him but he will probably ball for a chance somewhere else 3 year $6M deal
Snyder, old and somewhat dependable but he probably doesn't deserve much more then a 1 year deal. 1 yr $3m
Spillman, ST captain 3 yr 3M

That adds up to a 2012 cap hit of $17 million which puts us a whopping $8million over the cap in this scenario.

Sure sounds like we will be making some tough decisions regarding our FAs and asking other players to restructure there deals.

EDIT: sorry to go all FREE AGENT ANALYST on this thread but I couldn't stop the flow. I was just trying to demonstrate that although signing a big money FA seems like a great idea I don't see it happening unless it is under the perfect circumstance. Draft these guys in these rounds
1. Jeffery/Sanu
2. NO ONE LOOKS GOOD
3. Brian Quick/T.Y. Hilton
4. Jeff Fuller/Juron Criner

After that I would be pissed if we didn't take any of these guys.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
Mohamed Sanu.

I hope not.
People need to stop expecting the 49ers to make any big free agent moves, its not going to happen, its going to be hard to re-sign all their own free agents as is. Personally I would franchise Goldson and then find someone willing to offer a 2nd or 3rd and 5th rounder for him.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

That worked so well for Braylon. Size alone is not going to determine an effective WR, remember JJ Stokes? Although at this point in time I would LOVE to have JJ Stokes on this team.
lots of them....GIVE ME A LOGJAM

Give me somebody big and fast.
Originally posted by sfout:
Agreed. Sydney Rice signed a 5 year $41 Million(with an extra $3 mill of incentives) deal last season and that will be the deal that Colston's agent uses as a comparable. I think we could afford to offer him a comprable deal but it would be a close call. However this is all a moot point if he gets franchised, hopefully they cant come to an agreement with Brees and have to use it on him or they get smart and use it on Nicks because he's already 28 or 29 and you know his play will fall off by the time that $50 Million deal starts hitting those backend heavy base salary numbers.

Offering Colston $8 Million a year would put us at $37 million if the cap space actually carries over and we cut Shawntae Spencer. $37 million to sign Alex, Brooks, Rogers, Goldson plus our FAs seems a bit of a stretch.

-Rumors have it like this Alex getting $8 mill a year over 3 years = $24 M
-Not the exact same position but the Bills gave Nick Barnett a 3 year $12 M deal so thats what Brooks has an higher but comparable IMO. He'll have to wait for Mario Williams and Jarret Johnson to set the market though.
-We offered Goldson 5 years for $25 so I'm sure he'll get a slightly better offer maybe the same amount but a 4 year deal
-Rogers will want somewhere between Cromarte($32 M 4 yrs) and Johnathan Joseph money($48 M 5 yrs) however Rogers is older so he'll probably get closer to Cromartie money

That's an a likely first year base of $8M, $6M, $6, and $8M respectively or a total of $28 Million out of $37M allotted just for those 4 players. Can we really re-sign Constanzo, Ginn, Grant, Gooden, Morgan, Reggie, Snyder, Madieu with that remaining $9M??? Much less our draft picks.....

Costanzo should and will be back he is Seely's guy = 3 mill over 3 years imo
Morgan has JH's support to return = 1 year $3M deal since he is recovering with the idea that we want him to show his skills
Ginn should be back as KR/#5 WR = maybe a $6M deal over 3 years
Gooden should be back because we actually wanted to trade something for him before the ravens cut him. but expendable. another $3M 3 yr deal
Grant, I would love to have back but he will command a Nick Barnett-esque deal to retain 3 years 10M or we lose him
Reggie, we know what we have in him but he will probably ball for a chance somewhere else 3 year $6M deal
Snyder, old and somewhat dependable but he probably doesn't deserve much more then a 1 year deal. 1 yr $3m
Spillman, ST captain 3 yr 3M

That adds up to a 2012 cap hit of $17 million which puts us a whopping $8million over the cap in this scenario.

Sure sounds like we will be making some tough decisions regarding our FAs and asking other players to restructure there deals.

EDIT: sorry to go all FREE AGENT ANALYST on this thread but I couldn't stop the flow. I was just trying to demonstrate that although signing a big money FA seems like a great idea I don't see it happening unless it is under the perfect circumstance. Draft these guys in these rounds
1. Jeffery/Sanu
2. NO ONE LOOKS GOOD
3. Brian Quick/T.Y. Hilton
4. Jeff Fuller/Juron Criner

After that I would be pissed if we didn't take any of these guys.

Terrific post... Thanks for this well researched info...

Cheers!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
The WR prospects are loaded in the draft. I think we could pull away a legit #1 in round 1 then I think we can get a sleeper in the later rounds

I would like you to meet:
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
Mohamed Sanu.

Looks like he gets good separation in his routes, great hands (natural receiver), body control, leaps, and timing. He is good with the ball in his hands (he was their widcat QB, and pretty good at it), but he doesn't seem to break a ton of tackles or run away from people. He doesn't get run down from behind a lot, but he doesn't open up the gap like some of the little guys do.
Marvin Jones. California Golden Bears WR.
Share 49ersWebzone