LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

Need at WR - who are you drafting?

Need at WR - who are you drafting?

Originally posted by dj43:
I could see that approach based on how the picks fall. If I were Baalke, I would go into the draft with multiple scenarios in mind (I'm sure he does that) and see which one works the best. The WR will be the trickiest because of the need for both a big guy and a speed receiver. If the opportunity arose to move up to grab a big AND fast guy, I would not hesitate. However, if that does not materialize, then a move back would be in order. It appears, from what little research I have done, that a smaller fast guy will be more available than a big fast guy. If that is the way it falls, then I would definitely move back and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

Of course a lot of this depends on where we pick. I hope we pick 32, which would make a move up VERY expensive. However, we might pick as high as 23 which would make it more feasible.
If Ginn comes back (which I think the does) we can wait for the small shifty guy for the following year. Ginn and KW can hold down that category while Crabs and Mogan fill the possession/blocker category. The only thing we really dont have is the 6'3+ guy that can go higher then everybody.

With needs at WR, CB, OLB, C/OG, and DL we need as many "higher" picks as possible for better quality. Drafting at 28 or 38 isn't that big of a difference to me so I would rather get more picks. We can guess the top of the 2nd will have QB's, OT's, and DL targeted first, so a little wiggle room for a WR should be easy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, jreff. We need a reciever with some height to use on those Redzone situations.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jreff22:
I could see that approach based on how the picks fall. If I were Baalke, I would go into the draft with multiple scenarios in mind (I'm sure he does that) and see which one works the best. The WR will be the trickiest because of the need for both a big guy and a speed receiver. If the opportunity arose to move up to grab a big AND fast guy, I would not hesitate. However, if that does not materialize, then a move back would be in order. It appears, from what little research I have done, that a smaller fast guy will be more available than a big fast guy. If that is the way it falls, then I would definitely move back and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

Of course a lot of this depends on where we pick. I hope we pick 32, which would make a move up VERY expensive. However, we might pick as high as 23 which would make it more feasible.
If Ginn comes back (which I think the does) we can wait for the small shifty guy for the following year. Ginn and KW can hold down that category while Crabs and Mogan fill the possession/blocker category. The only thing we really dont have is the 6'3+ guy that can go higher then everybody.

With needs at WR, CB, OLB, C/OG, and DL we need as many "higher" picks as possible for better quality. Drafting at 28 or 38 isn't that big of a difference to me so I would rather get more picks. We can guess the top of the 2nd will have QB's, OT's, and DL targeted first, so a little wiggle room for a WR should be easy.

If healthy, Williams can be that small, quick guy. Problem is, he can't seem to stay healthy. Of course that is the problem with a small receiver; they are prone to injury.

I don't trust Ginn. Which brings me to prefer to look for more depth in that type of player.

I do agree that if we can't get the big stud receiver early, then a move back into the early 2nd round to get an extra player would be the best move.

As aside, I see OG/C as the next greatest need after WR. We must keep a cleaner pocket at the front end. I was very surprised to see Goodwin get a Pro Bowl bid. He has been shoved back into Smith's face far too often this year when going against a stronger DT. We all know Snyder is a backup that has been forced into a starting role, and he may leave anyway. Hence, I see that as more important that a CB, particularly given the improvement of Brown and Culliver. (assuming Rogers stays)
Originally posted by jreff22:

If healthy, Williams can be that small, quick guy. Problem is, he can't seem to stay healthy. Of course that is the problem with a small receiver; they are prone to injury.

I don't trust Ginn. Which brings me to prefer to look for more depth in that type of player.

I do agree that if we can't get the big stud receiver early, then a move back into the early 2nd round to get an extra player would be the best move.

As aside, I see OG/C as the next greatest need after WR. We must keep a cleaner pocket at the front end. I was very surprised to see Goodwin get a Pro Bowl bid. He has been shoved back into Smith's face far too often this year when going against a stronger DT. We all know Snyder is a backup that has been forced into a starting role, and he may leave anyway. Hence, I see that as more important that a CB, particularly given the improvement of Brown and Culliver. (assuming Rogers stays)

IMO Snyder has performed just fine this season and I wouldn't be upset with him being the RG next season, god forbid he finally gets continuity AT ONE POSITION.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
IMO Snyder has performed just fine this season and I wouldn't be upset with him being the RG next season, god forbid he finally gets continuity AT ONE POSITION.

My hope is that the FO sees Boone as ready to start at RT in 2012 and move A. Davis to RG. The need for a C/OG will be reduced
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

My hope is that the FO sees Boone as ready to start at RT in 2012 and move A. Davis to RG. The need for a C/OG will be reduced

this a madden move IMO, not trying to be rude, but other than pure speculation what makes you all think the guy will be an upgrade over Snyder as a RG? Davis is STILL YOUNG, has improved this season from last year, let him continue to improve there
Juron Criner, Nick Toon, or Marvin McNutt
trade up for floyd or jeffery

stay where we are for kendall wright or jones

get toon criner mcnutt streeter later
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

this a madden move IMO, not trying to be rude, but other than pure speculation what makes you all think the guy will be an upgrade over Snyder as a RG? Davis is STILL YOUNG, has improved this season from last year, let him continue to improve there

Snyder is a career backup. Davis started his first game. RG is less challenging than RT. I simply hope Harbaugh has seen enough of Boone to believe he, at RT, and Davis at RG is a better setup than Snyder and Davis.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Greg Childs a 1st Rd. talent probably will probably drop to 2nd or 3rd Rd. I would take him any day! He hasn't had a chance to fully trust his knee after last seasons injury. He should be 100% by training camp.

Originally posted by titan:
Greg Childs a 1st Rd. talent probably will probably drop to 2nd or 3rd Rd. I would take him any day! He hasn't had a chance to fully trust his knee after last seasons injury. He should be 100% by training camp.

There are actually serious concerns about Childs' recovery from the injury. Right now, many scouts are projecting he will fall all the way to the 6th round. Sometimes crazy risk-taking teams will take fliers on players like this a little earlier, but unless Childs can prove his health, he could be looking at being selected at best around the 5th round. A flier team who feels they can afford the luxury of bombing on the pick could be willing to part with a 4th. Or.. if they're REALLY insane for Childs -- despite the bevy of talent among all the other extremely less risky players -- maybe even a late 3rd.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM ]
I kike Seanu, from Rutgers
Give me a guy who makes plays everyday over a guy with the right build and speed.
6'4" + would really help our redzone issues. We have tiny WR's. All the Chargers WR's are 6'5". And they just chuck it up in the redzone covered or not and get TD's. I wish we had that. We really need a big WR. Honestly it's time....
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I'd rather take one of these guys later in the draft if Floyd or Jefferey isn't there in round one without moving up.

Jeff Fuller
B.J. Cunninham
DeVeir Posey
Nick Toon
Share 49ersWebzone