LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

If we are drafting between picks 26-32 would you trade back?

If we are drafting between picks 26-32 would you trade back?

I would try trade up into the middle half of the 1st round to get a top tier prospect without having to give up another 1st rounder.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I would try trade up into the middle half of the 1st round to get a top tier prospect without having to give up another 1st rounder.

I have an issue with trading all the way up, you need to give up a boatload to get whoever. And I would rather stay pat and draft the BPA.
Depends on who is still available, is it someone BPA that we also have a need and what is being offered. If it is for say someones 2nd round this year and a first the following draft then yes, or if is a team that is projected to have a top ten pick the following year couple with a 3rd round this year then yeah.

Until, then be patient, no sense being like how everyone is always getting up in arms from this past off season's draft day and FA pursuit.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Depends on who is still available, is it someone BPA that we also have a need and what is being offered. If it is for say someones 2nd round this year and a first the following draft then yes, or if is a team that is projected to have a top ten pick the following year couple with a 3rd round this year then yeah.

Until, then be patient, no sense being like how everyone is always getting up in arms from this past off season's draft day and FA pursuit.

Yeah, I think Baalke is smart enough that if we get offered a Pats like deal that they get offered, we take it. I mean the Pats got New Orleans 1st in 2012 for the 28th pick I think(Mark Ingram) in 2011 draft. Not sure what else, might have been a 2nd or 3rd in 2011.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I have us taking OG DeCastro with our first pick
[ Edited by cools on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:45 AM ]
bump for the noob
I feel like the 20s can be a great place to draft. Lots of talent still available and comes cheaper and with lower expectations.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I have an issue with trading all the way up, you need to give up a boatload to get whoever. And I would rather stay pat and draft the BPA.

trading into the middle half of the 1st round honestly doesn't take a boatload unless that team really wants to hold onto teh pick. The last thing I want to do is to trade back into the 2nd to pick up extra 2nd and later rounders... although I wouldn't mind trading for a future 1st rounder. Look at the Patriots, they've traded down a ton to get extra picks and have nothing to show for it. Not to say trading down is a bad thing, but trying too hard for value isn't necessarily a winning strategy.

Look at 2009, when New England could've had Clay Matthews, Oher, Nicks, Britt. They instead trade down, got Darius Butler, and two 3rd rounders, one of which is used to draft Brandon Tate. The other 3rd rounder was traded to Jacksonville for a 7th rounder used for Julian Edelman, and and 2010 2nd rounder.

That 2010 2nd rounder and some 6th rounder was traded to Oakland for Rob Gronkowski, who's turned out to be excellent for them.

It turned out terribad for the patiots when they traded down, who lost a chance to draft an elite pass rusher, OT (which they ended up spending a 1st rounder 2 years later anyways on Nate Solder), and elite WR (which they terribly need as apparent by wasting a pick to trade for OchoCinco). Instead they got Butler and Tate who aren't even on the roster anymore (although Edelman certainly had a role).

When they traded up into higher rounds in their 2009 Jacksonville trade and later in trading up in 2010 for Gronkowski, it worked out great. The moral? If you're trading down, it's great to trade into future higher rounds, but bad to trade out when there are great prospects available, solely in the name of value.

Apologies if this post isn't that convincing and confusing... by the time I did all this research I was past the point of no return. The patriots do a lot of f**king trading.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would trade a late first for a future year first, plus a later round pick in this year's draft. The team right now doesn't have any huge holes to fill, depending on how free agency goes.
Keep to the draft value chart and if a good value deal is available, take it. If not, it can not be under-stated how important it is to draft well regardless of what position we are drafting.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The later portion of the first round is often times a place where the best avaliable interior offensive linemen began to be selected, and we will have two major holes to fill in the next few years, at right guard and center. A trade back is always a consideration, especially if future consideration is impressive.

Two major holes? Snyder is doing fine at RG and Goodwin is playing very well. In fact, Gore has had a lot of his runs cutting through the middle of the line - specifically the most recent game.

Are we in a position to upgrade one of those spots with the late pick? Sure. But we've faced good defensive lines so far this year with this offensive line and succeeded. So I think you are overstating the severity of our offensive line needs.

We also have a young prospect on the roster in Daniel Kilgore to develop for one of those spots.
Harbaugh sees our developing players daily. Kilgore, Dobbs, Brock, Williams. Kaepernick to name a few that may or may not be future impact players. The draft could go many directions based on the strength and weaknesses of our bench that as casual or even fanatical fans, we just just don't know. I love the speculation as much as you all do.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
Actually were going to land in the lower half of the draft 16-32

and there are projected to be 5 WR in this years draft.

It might line up nicely for us.

If we can find an OLB to bring a bull rush we could have the luxery of drafting back up and developmental players.
Originally posted by Elric:
Actually were going to land in the lower half of the draft 16-32

and there are projected to be 5 WR in this years draft.

It might line up nicely for us.

If we can find an OLB to bring a bull rush we could have the luxery of drafting back up and developmental players.
I think the run on WR's starts early this year. The Rams, Pats, Browns, and Jags could pull a WR quick...and there is always another dark horse team looking.
Keep the pick and take one of these beast WR's. If not get a CB or a FS. Or just take BPA.
Share 49ersWebzone