LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

Alameda Ta'amu Bandwagon

I want a giant fattie for the middle of our D! I love this kid.

Who's with me?
just got dominated by nebraska
Sopoaga is better than this kid, no thanks.
Pac-12 homers.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Pac-12 homers.

Nah, just like him. He's done very well at times, but floundered it seems last week. Hopefully, he can come back. They all have bad games at one point or another.

Are there other NT potentials for us in the first or second round?

He very, very good at the run, but need some work on the passing downs.

WE NEED A FATTIE!!!! I think there maybe some options in FA next year, but we need to start looking for a better stouter fattie who can anchor the middle better. Still, it looks like RJF is continuing to play at that position. I'm tired of just 300 lbs, want 330+ and girthy as f**k!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The 49ers are allowing 54.5 yards per game right now but they definitely need a new nose tackle. The run defense is not a problem.
I think we'll pass on NT and look to develop Ian Williams. Alameda is the only note-worthy prospect.

It's really sad seeing Myron Pryor (Kentucky) doing so well on the Patriots right now. I was screaming for us to take him several years ago because he fell late in the draft..

We should focus heavily on DB, OL, and WR. We probably won't have a shot at him but.. think if Crabtree improves again this year and then we draft Blackmon...

Blackmon + Crabtree + Kyle Williams + Morgan. Wow. Unknowns: Ginn, Edwards -- both only have a year left.

I think we need to look hard at drafting a potentially elite QB or WR.
DT Alameda Ta'amu: No. 74 (6-3, 335)
A massive presence inside, possesses elite natural width and girth through his lower half, but doesn't look soft at all, as he carries his weight very well. Displays the ability to sit into his stance, keeps his base under him and generate a snap off the football. At times gets a bit upright doubles over at the waste into blocks in order to stay low, but he can gain natural leverage bending at the knees. Doesn't have the initial quickness to threaten gaps off the football and penetrate. However, for his size displays a good initial burst, gets into blockers quickly and does a nice job getting under the pad level of opposing blockers and using his hands to gain leverage and fight his way through contact. Displays very good anchor strength inside. Has the ability to eat up the double, sit into his base and is tough to get a push on off the football. Is also very coordinated when asked to play off slide down blocks down the line, using his combination of short area quickness, balance and power he routinely can fend off blocks and works extremely hard for a guy his size in pursuit. Lacks ideal range closing from the backside, but the work rate is most definitely there. Now, is tight in the hips and isn't a guy who can quickly re-direct, shed and work his way back toward the football. However, initially there is some short area quickness in order to keep himself clean –especially in quick set situations- and uses his power to fight through blocks once he gains any kind of step. Possesses only average ball awareness at this time and will take himself out of some plays, but seemed to improve as the season went on.
Isn't going to be a consistent pass rushing threat at the next level. However, has the ability to come off the ball quickly, keep his base down and push the pocket on his bull rush. Works his hands well through contact, is a bit slippery for a big guy and has the motor to fend off blocks and work his way toward the quarterback. Doesn't have great closing speed, but is a tireless worker who has a motor that doesn't stop. Struggles to breakdown consistently on ball carriers and can be side stepped even in a phone booth when in position to create a negative play.
Impression: This is the kind of guy who has the ability to anchor the middle of an NFL defense in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front. Needs to do a better job finding the football, but overall he looks like a starter you can win because of in the NFL.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-Washington-DT-Alameda-Taamu.html

Too many teams running the 3-4, he could get over drafted. I will go ahead and project at #22 in first round. NFL Draft Scout has him at #13 overall, about the same place Ngata went.
He is really good, but he seems really raw. I actually think Tomsula could work wonders with him. He can easily tie up 2-3 blockers

Again, Ice is a FA next year. We need better rotation than RJF and possibly Ian Williams. He, now, could be a great addition if he falls to the third. I can see him go at the end of the second, but incredible value in the third. I remember Williams falling hard. I see the same with Ta' Amu. Would love to pair him with Ice and would give us a great Samoan tandem at NT for the next few years if we can resign Ice next year.

Still, he's definately not worth a second given our other priority needs. But to say couldn't use another NT to bolster our depth is ridiculous.

Hey mods, please merge with Nick's new thread. There is no reason to have two of these bad boys. I don't care into which.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Again, Ice is a FA next year. We need better rotation than RJF and possibly Ian Williams. He, now, could be a great addition if he falls to the third. I can see him go at the end of the second, but incredible value in the third. I remember Williams falling hard. I see the same with Ta' Amu. Would love to pair him with Ice and would give us a great Samoan tandem at NT for the next few years if we can resign Ice next year.

Still, he's definately not worth a second given our other priority needs. But to say couldn't use another NT to bolster our depth is ridiculous.

Hey mods, please merge with Nick's new thread. There is no reason to have two of these bad boys. I don't care into which.

fine with me.

I likes Alameda! We can get the most out of him - look at RJF!
In the 3rd or 4th round I'm on the bandwagon.Anything before that let me off this ride,
He looked good at the Senior Bowl, but I wouldn't over draft a kid for the DL at this point.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
In the 3rd or 4th round I'm on the bandwagon.Anything before that let me off this ride,

Good thing thats where is now slotted to go :D
Share 49ersWebzone