LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 170 users in the forums

The Arizona game cost the niners an A+ draft

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

I just keep thinking that you, and granted many others, got this ass-backwards.

1st, the team plays the game to win, not to improve our draft selection.

2nd, just how many games is it permissible to tank. Should the team start the tanking as soon as it is eliminated from the play offs?

3rd, if this were common practice, at any level of football, the sport would be literally destroyed. Do you really like football? It sounds more like you are a fan of the draft.

I happen to love football, and I loved it before I knew the the 49ers existed, the draft existed, and even before I knew that professional teams existed.

Think about this. If you play to lose, players, almost by definition, will not play their best. This playing to lose will drastically skew your ability to evaluate your team. (Remember there is defined limit on the number of games that should be tanked. It could be five or six.)

If you can not evaluate your team accurately, the draft becomes not much more than a game in and of itself. (see the 3rd point for reference)

A key element in having good draft is a good evaluation of your team. If your team is not playing to win how to carry out an honest and objective evaluation of your team.

f**k the Cardinals!!!
We absolutely killed the Cardinals, I don't it would've been possible to lose even if they tried to.

On the bright side, we had the same record as the Lions... who picked 13th. Could've been much worse but now we have Smith who has the look of being Demarcus Ware or Brian Orakpo. We don't know who's going to be better, and if you look at the past several drafts, the best defensive players are always drafted after the top 5. Ware was drafted at 11, and people really questioned it because he came from Troy, was kind of skinny, and Merriman who was still on the board was thought to be the much better prospect. You think the Raiders might like to have Haloti Ngata instead of Michael Huff? I bet the Jets would love to have Terrell Suggs over Dewayne Robertson.

The point is the draft is not so cut and dry as Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock would have you believe. When I look at the top of past drafts I always get a chuckle because of players that at the time I was so convinced were going to be all-pros every year the way they were built up to be 'can't misses', but they really just did not live up to those expectations, and the good players turned out to be ones no one was really talking about. I don't know if that's going to be the case in this year's draft or with PP7 and Smith, but history says it's a good bet.

only time will tell who really deserves what type of grade

the rookie's havent played a down in the NFL to tell if one team has the upper hand over another

SO JUST RELAX BUD.......
"We play to WIN THE GAMES!!!" Marvin Lewis

I'm sick of this woulda coulda shoulda attitude it's lame. Lets live for the present and not the past.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
If we lose all our games, forever, we'll always have the #1 pick! Yes!

ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this.

Come on, pros do not throw games.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

this.

Come on, pros do not throw games.

No. They turn tricks, though.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we got peterson you can guarentee the round 2 pick would be an OLB pass rusher and the 3rd pick would maybe be stanzi
I guarantee you that if Harbaugh wanted Stanzi they would have drafted him.

Start all young players. Let Nate "the Webzobne Great" Davis start
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we got peterson you can guarentee the round 2 pick would be an OLB pass rusher and the 3rd pick would maybe be stanzi
I guarantee you that if Harbaugh wanted Stanzi they would have drafted him.

dom capers and vic fangio value OLB out of any position on the backfield which is why we took aldon smith over prince alex was already set at qb and if we took peterson in first we wouldve definitally took a pass rusher
Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

I posted a message about this right after that game. Mostly everyone on the zone was all excited thinking that we closed the season on a good note. Meanwhile the Cards just tanked. I am sure they did it to have a better shot at Andrew Luck had he come out. But it worked out for them anyway getting Peterson. Oh well, guess we can just hope that the coaches screw it all up there and that Harbaugh/Balke picked winners and not just their noses at this years draft.
STFU
we won't know what grade to give this draft for three more years.
Share 49ersWebzone