LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

The Arizona game cost the niners an A+ draft

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Seriously, we couldn't of loss to the Cards if we wanted to this season, they sucked so bad they were pretty much beating themselves.

The game we shouldn't have won was to the Rams at home, didn't we get a phantom penalty against the Rams to help us win the game.
if there was ever a season to tank, it would be this one coming up.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Yah we'll select Andrew Luck next year and convert him to TE.
You play to win, every game, no matter what.

No professional competitor, be it player or coach, would agree to throw a game for the sake of draft position. At least, none that I would want on my team.

Any team supposed of tanking a season or a game would never be able to escape that stigma.
if we got peterson you can guarentee the round 2 pick would be an OLB pass rusher and the 3rd pick would maybe be stanzi
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
You play to win, every game, no matter what.

No professional competitor, be it player or coach, would agree to throw a game for the sake of draft position. At least, none that I would want on my team.

Any team supposed of tanking a season or a game would never be able to escape that stigma.
I will NEVER root for the 49ers to lose. Ever.

With that being said, I find it hilarious that Alex Smith waited until this game to play his best game as a professional QB, and in turned f****d us as far as draft position. Play like s**t all season, then wait for the game that means nothing to play like a #1 pick is supposed to play.

Alex Smith.....the gift that keeps on f*****g the 49ers over.

I wish we had PP
I'll take a young stud pass rusher over a young stud CB ANY day of the week.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Yah we'll select Andrew Luck next year and convert him to TE.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

With that being said, I find it hilarious that Alex Smith waited until this game to play his best game as a professional QB, and in turned f****d us as far as draft position. Play like s**t all season, then wait for the game that means nothing to play like a #1 pick is supposed to play.

I wish we had PP

He played well against Seattle too if it makes you feel better
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

I wish we had PP

He played well against Seattle too if it makes you feel better

if singeltary played alex instead of troy against the rams we wouldve been i the playoffs
Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

Quit crying about it. If Aldon Smith turns out to be DeMarcus Ware nobody is going to remember that we wanted Peterson. Question things in 3-4 years.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

I just keep thinking that you, and granted many others, got this ass-backwards.

1st, the team plays the game to win, not to improve our draft selection.

2nd, just how many games is it permissible to tank. Should the team start the tanking as soon as it is eliminated from the play offs?

3rd, if this were common practice, at any level of football, the sport would be literally destroyed. Do you really like football? It sounds more like you are a fan of the draft.

I happen to love football, and I loved it before I knew the the 49ers existed, the draft existed, and even before I knew that professional teams existed.

Think about this. If you play to lose, players, almost by definition, will not play their best. This playing to lose will drastically skew your ability to evaluate your team. (Remember there is NO defined limit on the number of games that should be tanked. It could be five or six.)

If you can not evaluate your team accurately, the draft becomes not much more than a game in and of itself. (see the 3rd point for reference)

A key element in having good draft is a good evaluation of your team. If your team is not playing to win how to carry out an honest and objective evaluation of your team.

[ Edited by buck on May 3, 2011 at 14:25:01 ]
Share 49ersWebzone