There are 148 users in the forums

In 5 years, who will be the best QB from this draft??

In 5 years, who will be the best QB from this draft??

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Ponder

I was surprised when the Vikes took him, and a bit disappointed because I was hoping we'd get him with our 2nd rounder.

He has the prettiest game. Good decisions, good mechanics, good mentality, good physicality. He just lacks the long ball, but if I were a gm he would've been my top QB target (though I too would've been looking to get him with the 2nd round pick or a trade up of a few spots).

He also had some injury concerns

True, but personally, I don't really buy the 'injury prone' label players get unless they're extreme circumstances. If they have a diagnosed condition that makes them more succeptible to bone or muscle injuries or a freakishly long list of injuries I get it, but players tend to be labeled 'injury prone' after suffering one or two freak injuries.

If I were a gm or scout I'd have a better grasp of who to worry about and who not to, but generally there are loads of players that come in with reputations as injury prone that end up with no more injuries than your average player. I always take that label with a grain of salt.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I can't believe a project like Newton went 1st overall. I wonder if he ever got past his second read before he took off running?
Originally posted by BobS:
I can't believe a project like Newton went 1st overall. I wonder if he ever got past his second read before he took off running?

I agree with you 100%, if you watched the sit down session with Jon Gruden he asked Newton about hard QB verbage like X flank 47 Y Z wheel H Hitch and Newton was looking at Gruden like he had 23 heads... lol Gruden said, give me some verbage you use to use and he was like, uh well... we just came to the line and someone would hold up a sign that said 36 and that was a play... ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? I mean don't get me wrong he's a great athlete however 1st overall?? And honestly he's only played 1 real competitive season in college football. I just can't believe he went 1st overall, they're going to have to DUMB that offense down ALOT for him. I'm not saying he's dumb, i'm not saying he's smart i'm just saying if they want him to start day 1 I don't know if he'll be ready??
Originally posted by BobS:

I agree with you 100%, if you watched the sit down session with Jon Gruden he asked Newton about hard QB verbage like X flank 47 Y Z wheel H Hitch and Newton was looking at Gruden like he had 23 heads... lol Gruden said, give me some verbage you use to use and he was like, uh well... we just came to the line and someone would hold up a sign that said 36 and that was a play... ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? I mean don't get me wrong he's a great athlete however 1st overall?? And honestly he's only played 1 real competitive season in college football. I just can't believe he went 1st overall, they're going to have to DUMB that offense down ALOT for him. I'm not saying he's dumb, i'm not saying he's smart i'm just saying if they want him to start day 1 I don't know if he'll be ready??

[ Edited by joeymac49s on Apr 29, 2011 at 01:08:46 ]
The best QB will be the one the niners pick
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
I will give you my answer when the draft is over.

I will give you my answer in 5 years.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Who ever we take

Kapernick it is!!!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Locker, Gabbert or Ponder. Just a hunch. It's way too early. And a lot depends on the coaching staff, development and supporting cast.

Then Kaepernick has as good a shot as anyone. Although I wanted Ponder. Agree with what mug said
I have to disagree with Locker going to a good system. You mention Moss maybe coming back, there is ZERO chance of that. This is a team that couldn't get Britt and Moss on the field together because "they play the same position"? Also the same team that kept their best pass-catching TE on the bench until like the 15th game of the season? But the biggist concern for me is, the knocks on Locker are the same issues the Titans have with Vonce Young - the guy who has been in there winning games for them. There are accuracy issues, and Locker being better on the run than in the pocket. The Titans want a statue back there playing QB (See: Collins, Kerry) and tried to force Young to be nothing but a pocket passer - they will do the same with Locker. On a related note, they are also trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think Newton will have problems. I just don't know what kind of offensive talent that team can put around him, and I see him running a LOT early on - that works in college, but often gets you injured in the pros. Gabbert could be in a good place to sit and learn for a year or two, but I also wonder what kind of talent the Jags can put around him. This is a team in serious money troubles, and a candidate for relocation soon. They have a good running game and some decent TE's, but have to add some more talent at WR.

I think Dalton and Ponder may be in the best place, as far as being in an offense that best fits them. Ponder "might" be able to sit for a year or two behind Palmer, and will have A.J. Green and Jeremy Gresham to throw to - so right now, he's my pick.
Gabbert

buncha homers
Future Icons:
-Jake Locker
-Colin Kaepernick
-Ryan Mallett

So/so guys:
-Christian Ponder
-Andy Dalton

Busts:
-Cam Newton
-Blaine Gabbert

Shaun Hill Back-up Warriors:
-Ricki Stanzi
-Greg McElroy
-Pat Devlin
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Mustain, because I'm a fan of Megadeth.

FOW

Full of winning
It very well could be Kaepernick now that he has the best QB guru...
ask in 5 years.
Share 49ersWebzone