LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

What do the 49ers do if...

They're on the clock and OLB Von Miller, CB Patrick Peterson and QB Blaine Gabbert (who I wouldn't pick anyway) are all off the board - which is now looking like a more and more realistic possibility thanks to Fairley and Bowers slipping down draft boards.

To me, the I think you have to draft DE/OLB Robert Quinn in this case. He may end up being the best pure pass rusher in the draft, and though the kid is raw, I think he instantly becomes the 49ers biggest pass rush threat.

The second option, and I may even entertain this before picking Quinn is to trade back 3-4 spots around 10-12, pick up an extra 3rd rounder and try to land Quinn a few spots or CB Prince Amukamara. I DO NOT under any circumstances take Amukamara at #7 - that is just not good value, especially since I'm sure teams Washington and Minnesota could be willing to trade back.

The final option is to trade back even further and stock pile more picks. This draft doesn't have great depth, but there are some very good QBs (Ponder, Dalton), pass rushers (Aldon Smith, Justin Houston, Brooks Reed) and CBs (Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris) that present very good late 1st / early second round value.

I think the worst case scenario if this is how the draft plays out is settling for Amukamara at #7.

Thoughts?
  • evil
  • Veteran
If you like a kid enough to take him at 10 then you like him enough to take him at 7. If you drop back to 10 you could lose out on getting that kid. Then according to the way you are looking at things from my understanding you are shooting for plan C.
Share 49ersWebzone