LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

John Gruden Quarterback Camp

Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 9erguy:
I came away with mixed feelings on him (Dalton) following the show last night. He doesnt seem to be as sharp as I assumed and the offensive plays he discussed with Gruden seemed to be very amatuer. When he was on the board explaining plays he seemed unsure of himself and not confident at all. Of course its kind of awkward with the camera in your face and all that really matters is how he plays on the field.

With that being said, I'm impressed with his love of the game and he has proved to be a winner. Just not sure about him, kind of a toss-up. I still want Ponder.

Actually agree with most of what you said here.

I think that stuff is highly overrated. Alex Smith is probably a whiz on the chalkboard. I'm much more concerned with field vision and the ability to make a quick decision, that's what seperated Joe from everyone else. In the handful of TCU games I watched, Dalton seemed pretty good at those things. I prefer Dalton to just about all the prospects, Ponders medical just scares me.

My agreement above is because I have mixed feelings on the kid. You're right, he brings it on every play, is a real winner and seems to have an uncanny ability to find the right guy at the right time. But he has a funky vibe to him, personality-wise. That doesn't mean I don't like him or think he's going to fail at the next level, but there's something a little "off-putting" about his personality and his mental acuity.

If I was a GM, I wouldn't count it against him, but it would strike me as odd.
I came away with mixed feelings on him (Dalton) following the show last night. He doesnt seem to be as sharp as I assumed and the offensive plays he discussed with Gruden seemed to be very amatuer. When he was on the board explaining plays he seemed unsure of himself and not confident at all. Of course its kind of awkward with the camera in your face and all that really matters is how he plays on the field.

With that being said, I'm impressed with his love of the game and he has proved to be a winner. Just not sure about him, kind of a toss-up. I still want Ponder.

I think that stuff is highly overrated. Alex Smith is probably a whiz on the chalkboard. I'm much more concerned with field vision and the ability to make a quick decision, that's what seperated Joe from everyone else. In the handful of TCU games I watched, Dalton seemed pretty good at those things. I prefer Dalton to just about all the prospects, Ponders medical just scares me.

My agreement above is because I have mixed feelings on the kid. You're right, he brings it on every play, is a real winner and seems to have an uncanny ability to find the right guy at the right time. But he has a funky vibe to him, personality-wise. That doesn't mean I don't like him or think he's going to fail at the next level, but there's something a little "off-putting" about his personality and his mental acuity.

I definitely get what you're saying but, to me, it seemed like it was because he was nervous. I mean he's got Chucky on the other side of the table, while admittedly throwing softballs, he's also got a camera in his face and he knows that everything he says and does will be scrutinized and extrapolated by GMs, coaches, and fans.
Originally posted by ghostrider:

I definitely get what you're saying but, to me, it seemed like it was because he was nervous. I mean he's got Chucky on the other side of the table, while admittedly throwing softballs, he's also got a camera in his face and he knows that everything he says and does will be scrutinized and extrapolated by GMs, coaches, and fans.

True, but if that makes him nervous or if he thinks that's pressure, wait until he's on Monday/Sunday Night Football lined up against the Ravens, Jets or Patriots defense with 80,000+ fans screaming at the top of their lungs!
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM ]

True, but if that makes him nervous or if he thinks that's pressure, wait until he's on Monday/Sunday Night Football lined up against the Ravens, Jets or Patriots defense with 80,000+ fans screaming at the top of their lungs!

I agree but that's a totally different kind of pressure. I'm sure there are tons of players in the league that love and thrive in that kind of pressure but are more uncomfortable in a public speaking scrutiny type of pressure situation.

I'm just speculating but the kid went undefeated, has 50 starts, and won the Rose Bowl. I'm sure he feels more comfortable on the field.

I agree but that's a totally different kind of pressure. I'm sure there are tons of players in the league that love and thrive in that kind of pressure but are more uncomfortable in a public speaking scrutiny type of pressure situation.

I'm just speculating but the kid went undefeated, has 50 starts, and won the Rose Bowl. I'm sure he feels more comfortable on the field.

I agree, and was half-kidding. It's hard not to like Dalton's on-field performance/potential, but I still came away with a strange feeling about him after watching the show. But thankfully, nobody is asking me to make that selection.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Terry Bradshaw was exactly like that at first. Some guys are comfortable in front of cameras (Newton) some aren't. Has no effect on their ability to play football, just their endorsements.
Anyone has a link or video!?
Terry Bradshaw was exactly like that at first. Some guys are comfortable in front of cameras (Newton) some aren't. Has no effect on their ability to play football, just their endorsements.

Not always true. Bradshaw's aloof personality did cause a lot of turmoil between him and Chuck Noll, and Bradshaw wasn't the most popular figure in the locker room and among the fans, nor was he very effective as a QB for the first 5 years of his career (his main issue was confidence, not necessarily talent). Sometimes what's happening in the space between a guy's ears plays a bigger role than the skill level/athletic ability that they possess.

So I'm just saying, it can be a factor. I'm not saying that it's an issue with Dalton, though, because I really don't know enough about him; it's more of a personal opinion on my part based on this limited exposure. So I want to be clear about that.

However, a real or even "percieved" lack of confidence (especially for a QB) is not something that should be completely and totally ignored and thought of as a non-factor.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM ]
the whole dalton confidence thing is ridiculous. I watched it and we can not tell what the guys confidence level is from that small glimpse. his play speaks for itself. you have to be tough and confident to play qb and lead a team like he did to a perfect record.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
the whole dalton confidence thing is ridiculous. I watched it and we can not tell what the guys confidence level is from that small glimpse. his play speaks for itself. you have to be tough and confident to play qb and lead a team like he did to a perfect record.

It's just an opinion (whether or not they meet your standard of seriousness)...people can have those and freely share them on this board.

I'm saying, he comes across as a little lacking in that area (and not just from this show, but a few other interviews I've seen)...it obviously didn't impact him at the collegiate level, but he played at a smaller school and didn't always have the bright lights of the national media bearing down on him.

It's VERY likely not an issue at all, but it's worth noting IMO.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM ]

Admit it, it's the orange hair, isn't it?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

The ginger eyebrows are a little freaky.

Originally posted by philosoraptor:

It's just an opinion (whether or not they meet your standard of seriousness)...people can have those and freely share them on this board.

I'm saying, he comes across as a little lacking in that area (and not just from this show, but a few other interviews I've seen)...it obviously didn't impact him at the collegiate level, but he played at a smaller school and didn't always have the bright lights of the national media bearing down on him.

It's VERY likely not an issue at all, but it's worth noting IMO.

I really like Dalton but I feel you on this Ghost...to be honest he seemed preoccupied during the interview, and borderline retarded. Not to say I think he is, just he sounded aloof during this specific clip.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

The ginger eyebrows are a little freaky.

Dalton to VD connection has a nice ring to it... Although I got a hunch we probably take Kap..
Share 49ersWebzone