LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Possible Trading Partners

• buck
  • Veteran
It is beginning to look like there will a rush on quarterbacks at the beginning of the second round. That prospect seems to enhance our need to trade up.
But having the need or desire to trade up and trading up are not the same. For them to become the same we would need a trading partner.

Who are our possible trading partners?

1.) New England

We trade our first pick next year for the 33rd pick this year. I am aware that most would object vehemently against this trade, but it still makes sense to me as we with no doubt have to get at least one QB this year. Our options are either getting one in the first or second round. I think New England would love this trade.

2.) New England

We trade first round pick to New England for pick # 17, pick # 60 in the second, and pick # 70. This trade has problems. We would have to reach to take QB at 17. We would not get the top corner or OLB that we would get with pick # 7. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, I do not think New England would be willing to make the trade.

3.) New Orleans

We trade for pick #24. We draft Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick. The question that lurks is: What do we give the Saints? They only have six picks in the draft ( and two of those are in the 7th round) and they have a whole passel of free agents. So, they clearly could use the picks. I think that we would have to give our 2nd and 3rd rounds picks this year plus a second next year. The price might be high, but we get a QB.

4.) Denver

We trade second round picks (our 45th for their 36th) and we give them our 3rd round pick (#76). With the 36th pick, we could probably get Colin Kaepernick, but I am pretty sure that Dalton would be gone. If you like the kid from Nevada, and I do, this is a good trade.

Any way, these are some of the trades that I can envision.

To be honest and to subject myself to ridicule, I have to say I like the first trade the best.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
It is beginning to look like there will a rush on quarterbacks at the beginning of the second round. That prospect seems to enhance our need to trade up.
But having the need or desire to trade up and trading up are not the same. For them to become the same we would need a trading partner.

Who are our possible trading partners?

1.) New England

We trade our first pick next year for the 33rd pick this year. I am aware that most would object vehemently against this trade, but it still makes sense to me as we with no doubt have to get at least one QB this year. Our options are either getting one in the first or second round. I think New England would love this trade.

2.) New England

We trade first round pick to New England for pick # 17, pick # 60 in the second, and pick # 70. This trade has problems. We would have to reach to take QB at 17. We would not get the top corner or OLB that we would get with pick # 7. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, I do not think New England would be willing to make the trade.

3.) New Orleans

We trade for pick #24. We draft Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick. The question that lurks is: What do we give the Saints? They only have six picks in the draft ( and two of those are in the 7th round) and they have a whole passel of free agents. So, they clearly could use the picks. I think that we would have to give our 2nd and 3rd rounds picks this year plus a second next year. The price might be high, but we get a QB.

4.) Denver

We trade second round picks (our 45th for their 36th) and we give them our 3rd round pick (#76). With the 36th pick, we could probably get Colin Kaepernick, but I am pretty sure that Dalton would be gone. If you like the kid from Nevada, and I do, this is a good trade.

Any way, these are some of the trades that I can envision.

To be honest and to subject myself to ridicule, I have to say I like the first trade the best.

I like the idea of trading up from our 2nd round spot if we can't get a QB JH likes with our own pick. However I don't like trading down from #7 if we can get any of the following players:

Peterson
Miller
Quinn
Dareus
Prince
redskin or vikes...give them the niners #1 pick for a 2nd in 2011 and their 1st in 2012...so they can take gabbert or newton if available
Vikings, trade firsts and aquire an extra pick next year
I think the Redskins, Vikes and Dolphins may end up in a bidding war for a QB, if Gabbert or Newton slides (unlikely). The Niners could drop down those handful of spots and pick up a Cam Jordan, who I think they are very high on, or select Price, if he is on the board, or pick Phil Taylor, who would solve their need for a ten-year toilet clogget at NT (I'd have no problem with this idea).

It is too bad that teams below us are not in desperate need for a WR, except for the Rams, who probably would not deal with us. More than likely, Jones and possibly Green could still be on the board at number 7.

In a trade up back into the first round, the Jets might be suitors at number 30. They lack a second rounder, and might be willing to drop back 15 selections to select a WR, OL, RB or another position of need.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Redskins, Vikes and Dolphins may end up in a bidding war for a QB, if Gabbert or Newton slides (unlikely). The Niners could drop down those handful of spots and pick up a Cam Jordan, who I think they are very high on, or select Price, if he is on the board, or pick Phil Taylor, who would solve their need for a ten-year toilet clogget at NT (I'd have no problem with this idea).

It is too bad that teams below us are not in desperate need for a WR, except for the Rams, who probably would not deal with us. More than likely, Jones and possibly Green could still be on the board at number 7.

In a trade up back into the first round, the Jets might be suitors at number 30. They lack a second rounder, and might be willing to drop back 15 selections to select a WR, OL, RB or another position of need.

You think GB and CN are going in the top 6?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Trading with the Jets seems possible. We would have to give them more than our
second round pick. Maybe, a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year.

I also do not think either Gabbert or Newton will be on the board when we pick. Would
Buck,

On a very similar thread that I started, teeohh suggested that the Rams might be a good trade down partner. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=153505&page=3

I like this idea mostly because we could move down to #14 and take our pick of players from Phil Taylor, Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Jimmy Smith, Cam Jordan, or even "reach" a bit for a QB like Ponder, Locker, or Dalton (whomever Harbaugh says he wants).

This trade allows the Rams to get Julio Jones who might be taken by the Redskins and gives us their 2nd round pick. With our two 2nd round picks, we can then use that as ammo to move up to get a QB if we didn't take one at #14.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Buck,

On a very similar thread that I started, teeohh suggested that the Rams might be a good trade down partner. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=153505&page=3

I like this idea mostly because we could move down to #14 and take our pick of players from Phil Taylor, Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Jimmy Smith, Cam Jordan, or even "reach" a bit for a QB like Ponder, Locker, or Dalton (whomever Harbaugh says he wants).

This trade allows the Rams to get Julio Jones who might be taken by the Redskins and gives us their 2nd round pick. With our two 2nd round picks, we can then use that as ammo to move up to get a QB if we didn't take one at #14.

I guess that I should have done a search before I started this thread. Sorry.

Various trades have been mentioned in many posts.

I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to trade possibilities.

I was hoping that this could be the focal point of all the ideas we have about trades.

But, then I missed the existing thread. My bad.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM ]
Buck,

im not too comfortable helping the rams get bradford a receiving thret...would be like the niners sending charles haley to the cowboys (which i think cost niners at least one more super bowl appearance)

Trading up: I like us trading up with the browns one pick to ensure we get Peterson if he's still available. I actually like Baalke taking initiative like he did last year with A.Davis. Give up a 5th or 6th rounder to move up one spot and make sure no team can jump in front. If it means you get the player you want , you do it.
Trading down: #7 and a 4th to NE for #17 and #28. Everyone says NE never moves up, while I think they will if AJ Green is on the board. I like the idea of having two first round picks and this is a trade I can see happening.
We need to find a trade back partner that has the possibility of being a top five drafting team next year. A type of deal where we give them our 1st this year and we get their 1st this year and next.

Then we can get that QB from Stanford
[ Edited by 9ers4u on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM ]
Stay at 7 and either trade back up into the 1rst or trade up for an additional 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
We need to find a trade back partner that has the possibility of being a top five drafting team next year. A type of deal where we give them our 1st this year and we get their 1st this year and next.

Then we can get that QB from Stanford

I like your idea, but too much would have to happen forit to happen. Too many moving parts.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Buck,

I guess that I should have done a search before I started this thread. Sorry.

Various trades have been mentioned in many posts.

I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to trade possibilities.

I was hoping that this could be the focal point of all the ideas we have about trades.

But, then I missed the existing thread. My bad.

Naw, your good Buck. My thread just asked about trading down. Your thread is asking about all trade possibilities.

Mods, you can merge my thread into Bucks so that we have one "Possible Trading Partners" thread.
Share 49ersWebzone