LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Which QB will fall on Draft day?

Which QB will fall on Draft day?

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by strickac:
Locker to the 3rd.

I think Locker is going to go early. he was projected to go high last year and still looks good. i can see minnesota or washington jumping all over him. High profile QBs also give a little sense of job security because everyone buys into the fact that the QB needs time to develop. I wouldn't be shocked either if the Niners go for him. Don't think Harbaugh is going to run the exact west coast offense we are used too. Locker has the other tools that Harbs likes. He just needs to be more accurate. His accuracy could have a lot to do with being on a horrible team. The not going to the pro day could be Harbs smokescreen because we know Seattle is big on Locker... Just a thought.

I would be stunned if we drafted Locker. In my book, accuracy is paramount. If a QB can't put the ball where it needs to be, what good is he? That why I think Newton is going struggle horribly and Mallet will be one of the few bright spots at the position coming from this draft.

With Harbaugh being such a fan of Walsh's, I think he is going to want a guy that makes good decisions and has excellent accuracy. Locker struggles in both those areas. I can't see a team drafting him to run a timing-based offense, utilizing quick slants/outs. Other than the Skins, I just can't see someone jumping on him early. Snyder and Shanahan are awful talent evaluators, so they could very well pull the trigger, but I don't see it happening with their 1st. That would be ridiculous, IMO.
i am really interested in Ponder so much. He is very good the leader for sure. I don't want to Dalton because he is compared to Alex. i can see my eyes to them. I can feel that Dalton wont successful for NFL is soo tough for games.
  • RedAu
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
On the positive side. If all these teams are going coo coo for cocoa puffs on quarterback this year, it lessons the chances that they will be in the running for Luck, Barkely next year.

I wouldn't mind if we walked away with Stanzi in the 3rd.

Smith, Bulger, Stanzi

This is my dream scenario, but....

Stanzi worries me, I really want him as our QB, but I'm worried that no one is talking about him. I'm afraid that savvy teams are staying silent on purpose and eying him in the late second. (Maybe Philly thinking of the next Kolb? If they are able to trade him of course).
[ Edited by RedAu on Apr 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They'll all be drafted by the end of the second round. In fact, they might be all gone after Jacksonville picks at number 49.

Man I just don't want to believe that but I there's a first time for everything

I definitely think by end of second round with Stanzi also a very good possibility as well.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
i am really interested in Ponder so much. He is very good the leader for sure. I don't want to Dalton because he is compared to Alex. i can see my eyes to them. I can feel that Dalton wont successful for NFL is soo tough for games.

I am really interested in Ponder so much too.
Locker, Ponder, Dalton....any would work.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They'll all be drafted by the end of the second round. In fact, they might be all gone after Jacksonville picks at number 49.

I agree.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

I am really interested in Ponder so much too.
for the niners sake hopefully Ponder
All gone by second round except Mallet. He goes in the third. Way too much bad press

McElroy from Alabama. There was once another smart, quiet, accurate, and efficient QB from Alabama, drafted in a late, late round without much fanfare: Bart Starr.

I would like to see the Niners select McElroy with one of their 7th round picks, which essentially have no trade vale for moving-up, earlier in the draft. McElroy would be the SECOND QB drafted by the Niners this year. I will leave it to Harbaugh and Baalke to select one of the other rookie QB candidates with an earlier pick.

Why not put two rookie QB's through the learning curve together, especially when one is super-smart and affordable, like McElroy? Seems like the competition and comradery between the two rookie QB's might spur their progress. It would also provide the club with a little QB insurance in this draft versus possible QB injury or bust. Seems like the effort from the coaching staff would be about the same, regardless of whether they were coaching up one or two rookies at the QB position.

As much as I would like to see the club make a move for Josh Johnson from Tampa Bay, I just don't think that the CBA situation and the compensation that Tampa Bay would want, will allow the club to execute a trade for a semi-experienced NFL QB. Thus, my preference for 2 QB's in this draft. And McElroy would bring a tradition of WINNING.
as the pick is announced, "With the first pick of the 2011 nfl draft, the Carolina Panthers select Cam Newton, quarterback Auburn University...", Cam Newton strides confidently out to shake hands with Roger Goodall, when he falls on the stage, claps his hands, and says "I've fallen and I cant get up..."
There will be 2 or more to drop
Ponder's injury history may scare off some teams that need a QB to produce right away.
i hope ponder kaepernik or locker are there when we pick in the second when we pick.
Share 49ersWebzone