There are 226 users in the forums

OTC's Big 254 Board

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
OTC:
How many moves will SF make and where will they happen and who do you think they will try to get?

If I had to guess the 49ers would make at least one move, and that will be to get the QB they want. The general assumption is that the 49ers are most likely to target Dalton or Ponder, but that doesn't mean there's zero chance of them looking at Locker, Kaepernick, or even Mallet (which I believe is the least likely candidate).
Brilliant work, as always.

This draft will be fascinating, an ever evolving piece of male drama. I tell my bewildered wife it is Grey's Anatomy for men.

This year, I will really be interested to see what happens with Mark Herzlich and Jeremy Beal. I believe both fall through the draft entirely, and wouldn't that be a shame after outstanding college careers. I hope I am wrong.

Well-done, my friend.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM ]
OTC, what do you think of Mallet as a prospect?
Just a note to the board:

OTC was the best in the business last year at the number of players selected. Better than Mel, Todd, Walter's, everyone.

That being said, OTC, you are going down this year. The Return of the Dog is in full force. Woof!!!
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OTC:
How many moves will SF make and where will they happen and who do you think they will try to get?

If I had to guess the 49ers would make at least one move, and that will be to get the QB they want. The general assumption is that the 49ers are most likely to target Dalton or Ponder, but that doesn't mean there's zero chance of them looking at Locker, Kaepernick, or even Mallet (which I believe is the least likely candidate).

That is what really sucks about this offseason. If the 9ers knew they had Palmer to hold down the fort for 2 years, Harbaugh would be more willing to take a rawer prospect he could mold - Kaepernick. He is my dark horse QB selection.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Brilliant work, as always.

This draft will be fascinating, an ever evolving piece of male drama. I tell my bewildered wife it is Grey's Anatomy for men.

This year, I will really be interested to see what happens with Mark Herzlich and Jeremy Beal. I believe both fall through the draft entirely, and wouldn't that be a shame after outstanding college careers. I hope I am wrong.

Well-done, my friend.

I do really believe that someone has to use a late-round flier at least on these two. Understandably, Herzlich's health is a scary issue, but the reward if he can stay healthy I think would be worth it to at least use a 7th or even a 6th on him.

If I had to make a comparison that my lady would understand (she's an enormous GLEE fan...) I would say it's like the Season Premiere and Season Finale of Glee combined into one for men like ourselves. Heck, on draft day it can be like a drama, suspense/thriller, comedy, and horror show all rolled into one.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Just a note to the board:

OTC was the best in the business last year at the number of players selected. Better than Mel, Todd, Walter's, everyone.

That being said, OTC, you are going down this year. The Return of the Dog is in full force. Woof!!!

Oh my, I was? Well, then! *Pats self on back* -- I'm not sure I ever looked at the others' results to compare, but I sure remember it being kind of a down year for everybody -- really unpredictable in 2010!

And oh yeah!?! The Dog is back you say!?? Well, my friend. TICK TOCK! Bring it on.

In all seriousness, I'm sure you'll totally beat me this year. Keep me humble.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

There is no question Mallett can throw the football. He is quite possibly the best at ball placement among every QB in this entire draft. He can throw "the perfect pass" and that's an incredibly valuable trait. He also probably has the strongest arm in the country. However, the questions surrounding his maturity and ability to handle the limelight remain unanswered.

It depends on which GM is adequately convinced his alleged "character flaws" are not going surface in the NFL and affect the team. He has an arrest in his history (DUI), and he has been accused of having drug-related problems which he never directly confirmed or denied. That could be alarming. We'll find out soon enough if he passed his combine drug test.

His only major on-the-field flaws are his lack of athleticism -- as he's no legitimate threat to run -- and inconsistent accuracy on the move. But in my opinion he has decent enough feet to slide and avoid pressure long enough to make a play. I think he does have to be knocked down some because his accuracy on the move is inconsistent and on occasion when under heavy pressure he has not made smart throws.

Talent-wise, he's a first rounder, but I don't know if his attitude will rub his teammates the wrong way and if Mallett lands in the place where the team can't block for him at all, he'll do very poorly early on. I think overall he's a high 2nd rounder, but if a team likes his skill enough and think they can work around the other issues, they could ignore the risk and take him in the mid to late 1st.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM ]
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
OTC:

That is what really sucks about this offseason. If the 9ers knew they had Palmer to hold down the fort for 2 years, Harbaugh would be more willing to take a rawer prospect he could mold - Kaepernick. He is my dark horse QB selection.

Looking at the value board, I see the 49ers targeting the Patriots pick at #33.

We're going to have to move up here if we want to avoid almost all risk of not getting the guy we want -- that is, unless the Bills or Bengals take a QB. Then we could feasibly use them as a trade partner, but with a small risk that someone else trades up to get New England's 33rd overall. Let's assume the Niners are extremely aggressive. We're either going to have to give up our 3rd rounder, or a lot of our other picks.

Value of Patriots pick 33 = 580 points.

Scenario 1: 49ers trade picks 45, 108, 141, 174 = 450 + 78 + 35.5 + 22.8 = 586.3 points.

Scenario 2: 49ers trade picks 45 and 76 = 450 + 210 = 660 points. In this scenario we would very likely also ask for one of the Patriots later picks in return.

Scenario 3: 49ers involve future pick(s) in a trade.

Scenario 4: 49ers sit pat and make no trades. If they would be okay with Ricky Stanzi, I expect them to do this, basically figuring "Hey if a guy higher on the board falls -- great -- if not, Stanzi is who we want and we'll wait and take him."

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM ]
I could easily see Harbaugh preferring Stanzi to Dalton, Ponder, etc... think what you want about their respective skill sets or talent levels, but it would be tough to argue that any of the other QB's in this draft are more "pro-ready" than Stanzi. He definitely played in the most "pro-style" offense, and I question whether Ponder or Dalton have the arm strength to play in Harbaugh's system, which has a lot more play-action passes and vertical throws than Walsh's west coast offense did. When you consider the relative value that you adeptly pointed out, (given that Stanzi will almost certainly be available at #45 and could be at #76) I think he could represent the best option for the 49ers.
[ Edited by PloomDG on Apr 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM ]
as usual OTC, you do a great job and it continues here.

I may not be the best at this, as I bow to you and MD, GoFD, etc.... But I can say the likes of us, are far supperior to McShay and Kiper.

With that said, I will release my versions, 1 of how i feel about the players, and my big 254 board of how I see it happening.

But bravo, and if you or MD need a spot to upload your files, just let me know. And I will be happy to.

There is no question Mallett can throw the football. He is quite possibly the best at ball placement among every QB in this entire draft. He can throw "the perfect pass" and that's an incredibly valuable trait. He also probably has the strongest arm in the country. However, the questions surrounding his maturity and ability to handle the limelight remain unanswered.

It depends on which GM is adequately convinced his alleged "character flaws" are not going surface in the NFL and affect the team. He has an arrest in his history (DUI), and he has been accused of having drug-related problems which he never directly confirmed or denied. That could be alarming. We'll find out soon enough if he passed his combine drug test.

His only major on-the-field flaws are his lack of athleticism -- as he's no legitimate threat to run -- and inconsistent accuracy on the move. But in my opinion he has decent enough feet to slide and avoid pressure long enough to make a play. I think he does have to be knocked down some because his accuracy on the move is inconsistent and on occasion when under heavy pressure he has not made smart throws.

Talent-wise, he's a first rounder, but I don't know if his attitude will rub his teammates the wrong way and if Mallett lands in the place where the team can't block for him at all, he'll do very poorly early on. I think overall he's a high 2nd rounder, but if a team likes his skill enough and think they can work around the other issues, they could ignore the risk and take him in the mid to late 1st.

Have you seen his combine press conference? I kept (and keep) hearing it was terrible and he was defensive, but when I watched it he sounded collected and mature. Add to that, he's spoken of extremely well by his coaches and teammates and is really made out to be the kind of leader I think we've been looking for around here. I really feel the character issues have been blown way out of proportion at this point.
... and just FYI, it was a public intoxication he was arrested for, not a DUI.

It depends on which GM is adequately convinced his alleged "character flaws" are not going surface in the NFL and affect the team. He has an arrest in his history , and he has been accused of having drug-related problems which he never directly confirmed or denied. That could be alarming. We'll find out soon enough if he passed his combine drug test.

Have you seen his combine press conference? I kept (and keep) hearing it was terrible and he was defensive, but when I watched it he sounded collected and mature. Add to that, he's spoken of extremely well by his coaches and teammates and is really made out to be the kind of leader I think we've been looking for around here. I really feel the character issues have been blown way out of proportion at this point.

Whoops, I wrote this late, so forgive the little hiccup there. You're correct and a PI is much less of a deal than a DUI obviously.

As far as the character issues, the key word I put there before it was "alleged" -- that's the big thing. Like yourself, personally when I hear the guy I'm not sure what these other individuals are talking about. Where does he sound immature? Where has he seemed ignorant? When I mentioned his attitude in that last paragraph there, I should've used the word "supposed" before it.

The media's writings I believe have taken certain things he's said and blatantly and maliciously slanted them in my opinion, depicting him as some sort of arrogant neanderthal.

Mallett is no doubt a country boy, but he's not an idiot. He did get a 26 on the Wonderlic. If he had any drug issues, everyone would know because they test for those things at the combine. Like I said, as far as his play goes, he's a tremendous passer and aside from sometimes getting absolutely wild with the ball when under pressure, the only other issue would be his athleticism.

All that said, I still think there's a chance Mallett falls to the top of the 2nd if he gets past teams like Miami and Jacksonville. I don't think Seattle is a fit for Mallett, so unless someone decided to trade up, I think Mallett would then go to the Bills, Bengals or Cardinals.

It depends on which GM is adequately convinced his alleged "character flaws" are not going surface in the NFL and affect the team. He has an arrest in his history , and he has been accused of having drug-related problems which he never directly confirmed or denied. That could be alarming. We'll find out soon enough if he passed his combine drug test.

Whoops, I wrote this late, so forgive the little hiccup there. You're correct and a PI is much less of a deal than a DUI obviously.

As far as the character issues, the key word I put there before it was "alleged" -- that's the big thing. Like yourself, personally when I hear the guy I'm not sure what these other individuals are talking about. Where does he sound immature? Where has he seemed ignorant? When I mentioned his attitude in that last paragraph there, I should've used the word "supposed" before it.

The media's writings I believe have taken certain things he's said and blatantly and maliciously slanted them in my opinion, depicting him as some sort of arrogant neanderthal.

Mallett is no doubt a country boy, but he's not an idiot. He did get a 26 on the Wonderlic. If he had any drug issues, everyone would know because they test for those things at the combine. Like I said, as far as his play goes, he's a tremendous passer and aside from sometimes getting absolutely wild with the ball when under pressure, the only other issue would be his athleticism.

All that said, I still think there's a chance Mallett falls to the top of the 2nd if he gets past teams like Miami and Jacksonville. I don't think Seattle is a fit for Mallett, so unless someone decided to trade up, I think Mallett would then go to the Bills, Bengals or Cardinals.

Do you think there's any chance Harbaugh could use a guy like him? I know Jim Harbaugh signed off on his brother drafting Joe Flacco, another big, big-armed QB. That being said, Flacco is more athletic than Mallet I would think.

I just think Mallet with his arm (power and ball placement) and his knack for "out-working everyone" is an elite QB waiting to happen. My favorite part is that he'll speak up when one of his teammates isn't getting it done. He expects to himself and everyone else to be perfect. A QB like that sounds so tempting after the meeker Alex Smith.
So is the story of Mallett having a drug problem true? If so, I wouldn't touch him. Imagine how difficult it will be for him when he actually has money and fame? No thanks!
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
OTC:

Looking at the value board, I see the 49ers targeting the Patriots pick at #33.

We're going to have to move up here if we want to avoid almost all risk of not getting the guy we want -- that is, unless the Bills or Bengals take a QB. Then we could feasibly use them as a trade partner, but with a small risk that someone else trades up to get New England's 33rd overall. Let's assume the Niners are extremely aggressive. We're either going to have to give up our 3rd rounder, or a lot of our other picks.

Value of Patriots pick 33 = 580 points.

Scenario 1: 49ers trade picks 45, 108, 141, 174 = 450 + 78 + 35.5 + 22.8 = 586.3 points.

Scenario 2: 49ers trade picks 45 and 76 = 450 + 210 = 660 points. In this scenario we would very likely also ask for one of the Patriots later picks in return.

Scenario 3: 49ers involve future pick(s) in a trade.

Scenario 4: 49ers sit pat and make no trades. If they would be okay with Ricky Stanzi, I expect them to do this, basically figuring "Hey if a guy higher on the board falls -- great -- if not, Stanzi is who we want and we'll wait and take him."

That's a great breakdown, I really enjoy the site's knowledge. I hope they don't give up the farm to move up. But then again if it is for a QB who can play, then they should mortgage the farm. This year's draft is more exciting than normal since we got a new HC who knows QBs and we need a QB. Really hope we hang on to most of our picks.
Share 49ersWebzone