QB Projection Thread (3/30/11)

The Bills are notorious for drafting players they like before they should
The Raiders do the same thing
So who exactly do you want to emulate?
Originally posted by solidg2000:

If it's the quarterback of the future and he ends up being our answer to the QB position, I don't care if we take him 15 spots too early. Winning will make people not care about that, but if he busts then Harbaugh's ass is on the line. So what does Harbaugh want to do?
I want Stanzi damn it!
Originally posted by teeohh:

If it's the quarterback of the future and he ends up being our answer to the QB position, I don't care if we take him 15 spots too early. Winning will make people not care about that, but if he busts then Harbaugh's ass is on the line. So what does Harbaugh want to do?

I'm just saying, how many huge reaches work out?
Because Tyson Jackson wasn't exactly a huge reach, he was almost unanimously considered a top 10 pick
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by rapid4:
We are also in the situation of putting in a new (old) system, so regardless who we draft they will not participate in any OTA's and will probably have a very short training camp. I would not reach and make a need pick, since it won't be much if any help to us. Hang on and wait to see which vet we can get (Kolb, Palmer, Alex, Bulger) who will be NFL-ready right away. Trade down in the first or move up our second-round pick to the end of the first round to take someone, but don't use the #7 pick on the third qb taken.

Disagree that you don't at least strongly consider taking the QB you want at #7. Sure, our first attempt should be to move back a little, get some value for that pick then grab Locker, Ponder or Kap (if those are the guys JH likes) in the middle of the 1st. It might not seem like great value right now, but as they grow and learn the game, the initial perception of "reaching" for these guys goes away.

NFL draft value is all about perception, until you hit the field and perform. So if you believe in a guy and you think (with your coaching), you can turn him into a winner, you take that guy and screw what OTHER people think. Yes, you try and get "value" where you can, but the REAL value will come when that guy puts on the uniform and begins to win games for you, regardless of where he was drafted or where other teams slotted him.

Originally posted by teeohh:

I'm just saying, how many huge reaches work out?
Because Tyson Jackson wasn't exactly a huge reach, he was almost unanimously considered a top 10 pick

Jackson was a very big surprise. Most had him going mid-late 1st. He was even in the 2nd on some people's mock.
Share 49ersWebzone