LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

will andrew luck be the #1 pick in nfl draft in 2012?

I believe that the Niners should do everything to acquire this guy...he is so much better than any other qb option for the niners that I can see...get him and you dont have to worry about the qb spot for 10 years

many say it is a pipe dream, but luck is losing 3 starting lineman (beeler, hall and phillips), and three receivers (whalen, baldwin (i think he is done) and reuland) and he is losinh harbaugh and roman ...he may not look as good as he did this year and niners may be able to trade up for him
Nobody can answer this
Andrew luck future 49er hall of famer brought us 5 more super bowls and went down in history as one of the greatest to ever Play the game. Next to Montana, young, favre, manning, and Brady. What a great dream this is.... Let's make it happen 9ers
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Bet on it.. this dream will come true the minute Harbaugh signs Alex Smith back with the team..

.. and that's one Bill Walshque kinda move, isn't it??

Originally posted by jreff22:
Nobody can answer this
Originally posted by 9moon:
Bet on it.. this dream will come true the minute Harbaugh signs Alex Smith back with the team..

Yeah, coach is gonna come here and underachieve more than Sing and Nolan. Yeah thats whats gonna happen. If Coach was here last year I guarantee you we would have went to the playoffs with Alex.
who cares?
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Originally posted by 9moon:

Yeah, coach is gonna come here and underachieve more than Sing and Nolan. Yeah thats whats gonna happen. If Coach was here last year I guarantee you we would have went to the playoffs with Alex.

And I guarantee you if Harbaugh had come here last year, he would have brought in his own OC...and Smith apologists would be blaming the fact we didn't make the playoffs on Smith being in the 7th different offense and 7th different OC...
  • Elric
  • Veteran
I think we should trade down acquire an extra 2nd round for next year and trad up to get him.

All I see on the Market is Palmer 31. He could bring a Curt Warner feel to the NFC West.

Luck is better than any Player in this years draft.

He is familiar with the coach.

I think we pull out all the brakes and get this kid.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Nobody can answer this

No one, absolute no one, is a given to succeed in the NFL. Check on the number of failed first round drafted quarterbacks who have completely busted. I really don't care how good he looked last year. Incidentally, he may not even look so good this year with a new coach.

And if he does have another great year, our chances of trading up for him are zero, unless we are prepared to throw Willia, Davis and Iupati into the pot. It costs a lot to move that far up in the first round.

Reality. It's important to keep in touch with it.
Originally posted by English:
No one, absolute no one, is a given to succeed in the NFL. Check on the number of failed first round drafted quarterbacks who have completely busted. I really don't care how good he looked last year. Incidentally, he may not even look so good this year with a new coach.

And if he does have another great year, our chances of trading up for him are zero, unless we are prepared to throw Willia, Davis and Iupati into the pot. It costs a lot to move that far up in the first round.

hopefully this is true and he crashes. I would be willing to bet Harbaugh would draft him in the 2nd next year (long shot, but just look at Locker)

yup, look at the one that still lingers in the 9ers organization
Agree that no one can answer, but I suspect he will be. Even if he's hurt and/or regresses I think he'll still go #1 like Sam Bradford.

To be honest, our best hope of landing him might be if there is a season-long lock out. They would have to do a lottery for next year's draft order, and they would likely do it similar to the way the NHL did it after their lock out (when Sidney Crosby was the prize) - teams got more entries in the lottery based on the # of playoff appearances the previous 5 years, so we'd actually be one of the favorites!

Player trades are very rare and if anything we'd have to give away a boat load of additional picks. Willis, Davis, Iupati not happening. It's just not how the league works. For the most part you don't trade away players unless they wore out their welcome or if they're a backup quarterback.

We don't know that the team with the 1st overrall pick is going to have a need at quarterback. That's not a guarantee and it's also not a guarantee that Luck will want to go to a Carolina or a Buffalo. If he pulls an Eli or an Elway that organization has no choice but to trade him. Percentage of either one of those things happening certainly isn't good, but it should be noted.
Share 49ersWebzone