There are 201 users in the forums

Where to pick Gore's replacement?

RB is not a top need if Gore comes back but his injury is not the type that is easily mended, so where would you pick a RB in this draft?

I see the top three needs as pass rush, CB and QB but will the 9ers be able to find a RB in the 4th round if Gore isn't coming back. Or, if Gore's recovery concerns the team will they move that need up the list?

This is one reason I could see them trading back in the draft for more picks and picking one of the top guys in the first.

1. R. Williams, Va. Tech (similar to Gore, great receiver, durability issues?)
2. M. Leshoure, Illinois
3. J. Rodgers, Oregon St.
4. M. Ingram, Alabama
5. D. Thomas, Kansas St. (big & tough to bring down, great receiver, very durable)

WCO running backs need to block in the backfield, receive, and run inside and out. Who can do all three?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM ]
Big Dix
We have our inside runners. I want a guy that can turn the corner and hurt defenses with speed. Fairly thick RB draft and lesser team needs can push some of these RBs further than you might think. I think we can wait until the 4th or later to scoop up a great value. Some preferred targets I am thinking of right now are Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Da'Rel Scott, Mario Fannin, Roy Helu... maybe just maybe guys like Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, or Jordan Todman fall farther than we think...
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Big Dix
  • psb1
  • Veteran
Stevan Ridley (LSU)
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
We have our inside runners. I want a guy that can turn the corner and hurt defenses with speed. Fairly thick RB draft and lesser team needs can push some of these RBs further than you might think. I think we can wait until the 4th or later to scoop up a great value. Some preferred targets I am thinking of right now are Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Da'Rel Scott, Mario Fannin, Roy Helu... maybe just maybe guys like Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, or Jordan Todman fall farther than we think...

Agreed that we need a quicker and shiftier type of scatback and there should be some good values on day 3 of the draft, no need to take one higher than that unless there is someone sitting there far and away BPA on our board.

Helu seems tailor made for the ZBS and something tells me he is going to be a Redskin where he can pop 1000 under Shanny and join that club.
My two favorite running backs outside of the 1st round are Jacquizz Rodgers and Dion Lewis.
I don't like this years RB class
I don't know if I agree that we're looking for Gore's replacement.

But I'm a fan of drafting Shane Vereen, who I think could end up being an every down runner some day.
Probably the fourth round and hope he is ready to sit for three years until gore is done. Then he will probably rotate with dixon for a bit then start. I like green and rogers

In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO

MAYBE a Darren Sproles
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO

MAYBE a Darren Sproles

You think he's not an NFL starter? Look how hard he hits the line and is gone.

I am sold on him. I also would not mine Demarco Murray from Oklahoma.
I wouldn't burn a high draft pick on a RB in 2011. Gore has another year or two left on the tires, and I think the team wants to incorporate Dixon in the running game much more in 2011. If the team elects to draft a late rounder on one, there will be guys who can contribute.

A couple of the best rookie backs last year were undrafted, Blount and Ivory. The system, and the ability get get snaps makes all the difference in the world. Maybe a guy who is really falling, like John Clay, can help.

For now, too many bigger issues: CB, OLB, NT, DE, QB.

The RB with the best hands in the draft is Brandon Saine, and it might not even be close. The Buckeyes split him out at receiver in many formations because his hands are that reliable. Something to consider as a WCO team.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Big Dix

Not sold on him yet.....
Share 49ersWebzone