LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Justin Houston?

Originally posted by miked1978:
I don't know much about him. Heard he had 10 sacks last year though. Is he a workout wonder or is he legit?

He increased his sack totals every year (11 last year, 7.5 as a soph and 2.5 as a fresh); the same with TFL. This guy has just gotten better and better, and IMO, his best football is in ahead of him.
Originally posted by jreff22:
if he falls to the 2nd he would be worth moving up a few spots
2011 combine number comparison (with key production totals):

Just sayin'...
I don't see him making it to the second.
Houston is not really built to play 4-3 End. He's the perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.

There's a reason his play skyrocketed when Georgia went to a 3-4. Houston is the prototypical 3-4 WILL and is an outstanding prospect at the position. Double-digit sack total this season.

If he makes it to the 2nd, we should take a very long look at nabbing him. He's probably not going to get any bigger than 270, and is probably a little more natural around the 260-265 range, still perfect for the system.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
some say he's a sex addict!!!!!!!!!!!

wait wut

Sex or sacks? WTF
Houston posted better numbers than Quinn, has experience in the 3-4, and actually played last year. All of the surface info suggests he would be a good fit if Miller was gone. I'm wondering if the Niners could trade down a bit, get extra picks (maybe next years draft), and still get an impact passrusher?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Houston is not really built to play 4-3 End. He's the perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.

There's a reason his play skyrocketed when Georgia went to a 3-4. Houston is the prototypical 3-4 WILL and is an outstanding prospect at the position. Double-digit sack total this season.

If he makes it to the 2nd, we should take a very long look at nabbing him. He's probably not going to get any bigger than 270, and is probably a little more natural around the 260-265 range, still perfect for the system.

That's a great observation.

I read somewhere that Houston was getting knocked/questioned about his abilities to "drop in coverage," mostly because he slipped and fell twice during an early LB drill yesterday. As if one drill can tell an entire story. Well, in the next drill, he slowed himself down and looked fine...what I took from that is, he wanted to show that he was quick/fast/agile enough to drop, but he was trying TOO hard to show it and tripped all over himself.

Once he slowed himself down, he looked the part. And that's how simple it can be. The guy definitely has the speed/agility to drop in coverage/play in space when asked too, but he'll have to play under control and learn proper technique to do it consistently at the next level.

But the thing he CAN do very well is rush the passer, and that will be his primary job in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB.
If we go CB in 1st. round, then I'd be open to getting him in 2nd. round. From what I hear, he'll be there.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
If we go CB in 1st. round, then I'd be open to getting him in 2nd. round. From what I hear, he'll be there.

I don't think he's going to get to the Niners 2nd round pick. With all of the 3-4 teams, even if he makes it into the 2nd round, I think there's a good chance he goes to someone above us. I think the Niners best shot at him is trading down from 7 or trading up from their 2nd. With all of the holes the Niners need to fill, I think trading down from 7 is a very plausible option, depending on whose still on the board.

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

I don't think he's going to get to the Niners 2nd round pick. With all of the 3-4 teams, even if he makes it into the 2nd round, I think there's a good chance he goes to someone above us. I think the Niners best shot at him is trading down from 7 or trading up from their 2nd. With all of the holes the Niners need to fill, I think trading down from 7 is a very plausible option, depending on whose still on the board.

I don't see how Houston gets past the Jets in the late first given how badly they need a 3-4 OLB (and how Ryan seems to prefer his pass rushers to be bigger), or even Buffalo if they go Dareus or QB in the first. Hell, he might even get picked by KC at #21, given their short-term hold on Hali and Vrabel's advancing age/declining production.
We gotta get a QB in the 2nd.

Only way we take Houston is if we traded down from the 1st pick. We could trade down and still grab Houston/Aldon Smith/ Ryan Kerrigan while gaining an extra pick.

Only way we take Houston is if we traded down from the 1st pick. We could trade down and still grab Houston/Aldon Smith/ Ryan Kerrigan while gaining an extra pick.

Depending on whose there at #7, I'm really liking that idea.

~Trade down a bit and get Houston in the mid-1st
~Use that extra pick to trade back into the late 1st and get Ponder
~Use our own 2nd to grab a CB

1a.) Justin Houston, OLB
1b.) Christian Ponder, QB
2.) best CB available

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

~Trade down a bit and get Houston in the mid-1st
~Use that extra pick to trade back into the late 1st and get Ponder
~Use our own 2nd to grab a CB

1a.) Justin Houston, OLB
1b.) Christian Ponder, QB
2.) best CB available

I like it. But I think I would flip flop the QB and CB. I think Ponder might be there for the Niners 2nd.
Share 49ersWebzone