LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

This is how I wish the draft would go...

Originally posted by Draftology:
Houston will be a bust and Mallet has too many red flags and doesn't fit our system

Do you care to explain why you feel this way?
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Houston will be a bust and Mallet has too many red flags and doesn't fit our system

First of all, Houston is being projected as a late first/early second prospect. I do not like picking rush linebackers that have great athletic ability, but poor or mediocre tape. Pass rushing is more about technique than it is physical ability and I feel like teams fall in love with Houston/Gholston types too often.

Mallet I think has great potential but I don't believe he fits our system. Harbaugh said the number one most important trait for a west coast quarterback was mobility (it surprised me too). He didn't say accuracy or arm strength. He said mobility which is what Mallet lacks the most. Plus he has a ton of red flags off the field. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick will probably go after him and they both fit better. Ponder would be ideal, but we would definitely need to trade up for him.
Originally posted by genus49:
Saw Ryan Mallett and cringed.

The jugs machine has more mobility than this guy.

He's no Mike Vick, but he looks fine. Watch him roll out and work the play action, he looks to be in the Peyton Manning land of athleticism.

Yea thanks...I've seen plenty of his games. The guy is a tree. Putting up his higlight video doesn't exactly tell the story.

First of all, Houston is being projected as a late first/early second prospect. I do not like picking rush linebackers that have great athletic ability, but poor or mediocre tape. Pass rushing is more about technique than it is physical ability and I feel like teams fall in love with Houston/Gholston types too often.

Mallet I think has great potential but I don't believe he fits our system. Harbaugh said the number one most important trait for a west coast quarterback was mobility (it surprised me too). He didn't say accuracy or arm strength. He said mobility which is what Mallet lacks the most. Plus he has a ton of red flags off the field. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick will probably go after him and they both fit better. Ponder would be ideal, but we would definitely need to trade up for him.

I think you're right that we won't take Mallett but the notion that mobility is essential for the west coast offense just isn't accurate.

Matt Schaub is a statue. Dude does just fine in Houston's WCO. To me this is kind of thinking that makes you end up with Tim Rattay over Tom Brady. We need the mobility for our system or we need the arm strength for our system.
I know the Patriots are a great organization, but the 49ers better not leave 70 points on the table; that's a 4th round pick.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I think you're right that we won't take Mallett but the notion that mobility is essential for the west coast offense just isn't accurate.

Matt Schaub is a statue. Dude does just fine in Houston's WCO. To me this is kind of thinking that makes you end up with Tim Rattay over Tom Brady. We need the mobility for our system or we need the arm strength for our system.
I don't agree with it but that's what Harbaugh said
Share 49ersWebzone