LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 445 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
A few things...

1. Where's Jeremy Beal? He should run/workout pretty well at the combine.

2. Why so low on Brooks Reed? He CRUSHED it at the Sr. Bowl and will tear up the combine. Physical FREAK.

3. Three qb's in the top 12?? NONE of which ran a system that required them to drop back from center and read a defense. This is one of the worst qb classes in quite some time. Not happening.

4. Pat Devlin @ 88 and Ricky Stanzi is nowhere to be seen??? C'mon bruh.

5. LOL @ Kaepernick ahead of Ponder. Um, NO.

1. Beal really struggled at the Senior Bowl week, and probably projects as a fourth rounder. Just no burst to be a top 100 draftee for the next level. Probably will run in the 4.8's at the combine, which is not going to help his draft status.

2. Reed is probably a third rounder, and I project him in the mid-third. Good Senior Bowl week, but not an elite player. I like him for the 75th overall if the Niners do not pick up a pass rusher in the first two rounds.

3. It is a QB's league, and a lot of teams are really QB starved. Is Tennessee really going to start Kerry Collins, Arizona to Skelton, Minnesota hanging their hat on Jackson, who might not even be under contract. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. If a very talented guy is there, for some teams, the option is pretty enticing.

4. Stanzi is probably a fourth rounder, and nothing higher. Devlin, for all his faults, has a higher upside than Stanzi, and the potential to be a starter. Stanzi is likely a backup in the NFL.

5. As for Kaepernick, wait until after the combine. He will be one of the stars. Everybody knows what they are getting with Ponder, a WCO offense QB with an average arm, and beat up body. He's probably a late second rounder, at best, and nothing more.

What's your deal?

You hate America or somethin?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
No love for Chimdi Chekwa?
Originally posted by jta854:
I don't know what thread to post this thought in, so I'll just put it in here.

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.

These kind of quotes make me laugh. Nothing personal towards the person posting, but after watching years of football I've realized most draft "gurus" dont know s**t. Anyone can post top prospects if thats what they spend there time doing, and their success is only a factor of stating the obvious. They probably miss just as much as they hit. If they really had any talent evaluating people they would be calling shots regarding 4th and 5th round draftees becoming the next generation of great football players.

That's why I just can't take any of these guys serious anymore when they slight a whole class of anything in the draft. There is a gem in there someowhere, you just got to find it.

P.S. Considering Aaron Rogers is the best young QB in the game and is probably heading to the HOF one day, I dont see how you can make a statement like 05 was a weak QB class. I literally would take him over any QB in the NFL right now, even Alex Smith (if you can believe it).
A few things...

2. Why so low on Brooks Reed? He CRUSHED it at the Sr. Bowl and will tear up the combine. Physical FREAK.

3. Three qb's in the top 12?? NONE of which ran a system that required them to drop back from center and read a defense. This is one of the worst qb classes in quite some time. Not happening.

1. Beal really struggled at the Senior Bowl week, and probably projects as a fourth rounder. Just no burst to be a top 100 draftee for the next level. Probably will run in the 4.8's at the combine, which is not going to help his draft status.

2. Reed is probably a third rounder, and I project him in the mid-third. Good Senior Bowl week, but not an elite player. I like him for the 75th overall if the Niners do not pick up a pass rusher in the first two rounds.

3. It is a QB's league, and a lot of teams are really QB starved. Is Tennessee really going to start Kerry Collins, Arizona to Skelton, Minnesota hanging their hat on Jackson, who might not even be under contract. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. If a very talented guy is there, for some teams, the option is pretty enticing.

4. Stanzi is probably a fourth rounder, and nothing higher. Devlin, for all his faults, has a higher upside than Stanzi, and the potential to be a starter. Stanzi is likely a backup in the NFL.

5. As for Kaepernick, wait until after the combine. He will be one of the stars. Everybody knows what they are getting with Ponder, a WCO offense QB with an average arm, and beat up body. He's probably a late second rounder, at best, and nothing more.

What's your deal?

MD would draft Moore in the second even if he isn't a really high need?

I'm convinced he will be a complete ballhawk in the league.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
A few things...

What's your deal?

Swagger loves Stanzi because Stanzi loves America
Therefore, Swagger loves America

If you don't love Stanzi, who loves America
How can you love America?

As always MD

So I'm assuming you are off the "we get" Peterson bandwagon? If Peterson is gone and Miller, Quinn, and Prince are sitting there who would you rather pick? Do you see Miller as an effective 3 down OLB?
Good set of rankings. Whats the knock on Ras-I-Dowling? Seems like last year he had a lot of hype.

What makes Von Miller better for the 49ers than Robert Quinn?
alot of people have Mallet falling to the second or maybe even third round
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

P.S. Considering Aaron Rogers is the best young QB in the game and is probably heading to the HOF one day, I dont see how you can make a statement like 05 was a weak QB class. I literally would take him over any QB in the NFL right now, even Alex Smith (if you can believe it).

I like Rodgers too. But that bolded statement is just going too far. He's good. But he's not THAT good.

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Feb 7, 2011 at 07:19:47 ]

All I can say is, "Thanks". A lot of work went behind this.

I should try to learn more about the guys at the college level and Mad Dog's Big 100 Board helps in this direction.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I like Rodgers too. But that bolded statement is just going too far. He's good. But he's not THAT good.

I lol'd

Also...take him over any QB in the league? Uhhhhh...
Originally posted by jta854:
I don't know what thread to post this thought in, so I'll just put it in here.

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.

These kind of quotes make me laugh. Nothing personal towards the person posting, but after watching years of football I've realized most draft "gurus" dont know s**t. Anyone can post top prospects if thats what they spend there time doing, and their success is only a factor of stating the obvious. They probably miss just as much as they hit. If they really had any talent evaluating people they would be calling shots regarding 4th and 5th round draftees becoming the next generation of great football players.

That's why I just can't take any of these guys serious anymore when they slight a whole class of anything in the draft. There is a gem in there someowhere, you just got to find it.

Oh the beauty of hind sight.

The point of my post was that I would feel much more comfortable with better option at the top of the draft. I recognize that the “experts” are wrong about 50% of the time. Some years look week (2005, 2000) yet turn out all pros, and some look strong (2006) but end up being week.

That said, we need a QB, and given that need, I wish there were some QB’s that were deserving of a high pick.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MadDog -- in your preamble you mention 49ers seem smitten with Von Miller. Do you get this info from a publication you could share with us, or through the scouting resources you've developed over the years.

Read from two different sources that the Niners spent a fair amount of time with him during the week, and that they might be leaning that direction. Sorry, I cannot remember the sources.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MadDog -- in your preamble you mention 49ers seem smitten with Von Miller. Do you get this info from a publication you could share with us, or through the resources you've developed over the years.

Only problem is that Arizona may be smitten as well. Unless they're stupid enough to take a QB at #5.

They probably will take a QB at #5, especially if it is the first one off the board. I fully expect that Gabbert will be their choice, if on the board at the time.
Share 49ersWebzone