LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 339 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

I don't know what thread to post this thought in, so I'll just put it in here.

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Damn I would LOVE to get Rahim Moore in the 2nd if he is there. He is the next ed reed.
Originally posted by jta854:

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.

This draft is deep in qb talent...I think you brand this as a horrible qb draft because there isn't a pro ready one...well in all honesty those types of qbs come along once in a generation , peyton was the last...you can day Matt Ryan...but he had questions as well ... This draft is perfect for us to diagnose so many qbs with, it's actually a blessing to have so many to evalute...than 2005, where there wasn't as much.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

This draft is deep in qb talent...I think you brand this as a horrible qb draft because there isn't a pro ready one...well in all honesty those types of qbs come along once in a generation , peyton was the last...you can day Matt Ryan...but he had questions as well ... This draft is perfect for us to diagnose so many qbs with, it's actually a blessing to have so many to evalute...than 2005, where there wasn't as much.

Precisely how I feel.

We can land a good one, if the team's evaluation skills are as good as what's being advertised.

2005 wasnt that bad. Rodgers is playing in the superbowl. Not saying he would of had that success here. Orton and Cassell were also available in the later rounds. If you look back in the last 15 drafts, there have been a lot worse than 2005. I think everyone expects each draft class to be like 2004 where Eli, Roethlisburger, Rivers, Schaub came out
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I'm a little shocked you have Mallett that high, but this year the QB class must be really hard to place. I don't see more than a couple of them (at most) really excelling, and they may not be the names at the top of most peoples' lists.

Oh, and isn't Gabbert singular? Like James Gabbert?

Also surprised you have Phil Taylor relatively low. I think there's such a gap between him and the next NT candidate in the draft that he'll levitate higher than most people think. Will you knock him up 15-20 slots if B.J. Raji tears up the Steelers OL in the Super Bowl?

Assume you'll be making some adjustments, particularly after the combine?

EDIT: I can't recall from previous years, but has a K or P ever made The MadDog49er Big 100 Board?

I like Gabbert so much, I pluralized him. Thanks for the note.

As for Taylor, he is a possible first rounder. I just think in this era, when character means a lot to teams, that a player who was kicked off a team and arrested is one that many teams will take off their board. Hence, the early second round projection. However, I could be wrong.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MD -- Thanks for all your work again this year. I noticed you have Tyron Smith as your 1st OT. Is he that good or do you believe the teams were just underwhelmed by the Senior Bowl participants.

Underwhelmed, to be honest. Just no standout players in this draft. Smith has a chance to launch himself into being the first OT taken. His weigh-in at the combine will be huge. Huge.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Seemed like during the season that Cal's Mike Mohamed was projected to go in the second round, so what's going on with him?

Just overrated coming into this year. Probably projects as a late rounder.
Originally posted by YungAce:
So based on this big board, the Dolphins had the best mock in the webzone mock draft thread by getting Newton, LeShoure, and Ochocinco using only their 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks

Great value picks. Congrats!!!
Originally posted by binary2nd:
How is Kaepernick 13 spots above Ponder?

Upside to his game. Better athlete, stronger arm, more mobility. He might run in the 4.5's at the combine, and will generate a LOT of buzz. Just needs some time and work. Two year project that might make the field in 2012.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
A few things...

1. Where's Jeremy Beal? He should run/workout pretty well at the combine.

2. Why so low on Brooks Reed? He CRUSHED it at the Sr. Bowl and will tear up the combine. Physical FREAK.

3. Three qb's in the top 12?? NONE of which ran a system that required them to drop back from center and read a defense. This is one of the worst qb classes in quite some time. Not happening.

4. Pat Devlin @ 88 and Ricky Stanzi is nowhere to be seen??? C'mon bruh.

5. LOL @ Kaepernick ahead of Ponder. Um, NO.

1. Beal really struggled at the Senior Bowl week, and probably projects as a fourth rounder. Just no burst to be a top 100 draftee for the next level. Probably will run in the 4.8's at the combine, which is not going to help his draft status.

2. Reed is probably a third rounder, and I project him in the mid-third. Good Senior Bowl week, but not an elite player. I like him for the 75th overall if the Niners do not pick up a pass rusher in the first two rounds.

3. It is a QB's league, and a lot of teams are really QB starved. Is Tennessee really going to start Kerry Collins, Arizona to Skelton, Minnesota hanging their hat on Jackson, who might not even be under contract. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. If a very talented guy is there, for some teams, the option is pretty enticing.

4. Stanzi is probably a fourth rounder, and nothing higher. Devlin, for all his faults, has a higher upside than Stanzi, and the potential to be a starter. Stanzi is likely a backup in the NFL.

5. As for Kaepernick, wait until after the combine. He will be one of the stars. Everybody knows what they are getting with Ponder, a WCO offense QB with an average arm, and beat up body. He's probably a late second rounder, at best, and nothing more.
Originally posted by Dblj55:
Great work MD!

As an ND fanatic I was wondering where you think Michael Floyd would have fit in your top 100? Do you think he made a good choice going back to school? Personally, I think if he gets his weight down to 215 and commits to running better routes he will be unreal.

A good choice indeed. Really needs to work on getting off the LOS faster, and maintaining a reasonable weight. At nearly 230 pounds, this could be a big issue. Speed might be the thing that limits his final draft grade. Probably an early second rounder this year with a pedestrian 4.55-4.58 timed speed.
Originally posted by JDog:
What exactly is the knock on Ryan Mallet again? I am not pro or against him, but I have not heard anyone on the zone talk good about him.

Maddog had him ranked 12th, all the videos I I'm have seen on him shows very good accuracy, strong arm, and yes he does show good mobility. He is not short, and he did play in a the tough SEC confrence. I just watched lastnight in the college QB.challenge, which he one.

So what am I missing guys?

Great arm, good leadership, but questions on the mobility inside the pocket. His footwork is pretty slow, and he needs to work on eluding defenders.
Originally posted by epdavis:
Hey MD I really respect & value your opinion, I may not always agree but you definitely put in the effort & it's always well thought out so thanks. My question for anyone who has a thought on this is about Kentucky WR Randall Cobb. I am a big Kentucky fan & was shocked when Cobb declared, he struck me as a great college player who would have gotten way more pub on a better team. However I don't see him as a big time NFL player, he is projected by most to go in the 2nd/3rd rd. range. What makes him different from Brad Smith & Randle El?

He's more like Randal El in build and his play. Smith is more a special teams ace, and nothing more. A lot bigger.

I don't see Cobb as a second rounder, unless he blazes the track. He's more of your utility player who is the fourth WR, third RB, special teamer, and I can't see a second round value unless some team thinks he will be superb at the next level. Could be wrong, but I think he will also measure in at about 5'9" 1/2, which will not help the cause.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by JDog:
What exactly is the knock on Ryan Mallet again? I am not pro or against him, but I have not heard anyone on the zone talk good about him.

Maddog had him ranked 12th, all the videos I I'm have seen on him shows very good accuracy, strong arm, and yes he does show good mobility. He is not short, and he did play in a the tough SEC confrence. I just watched lastnight in the college QB.challenge, which he one.

So what am I missing guys?

Great arm, good leadership, but questions on the mobility inside the pocket. His footwork is pretty slow, and he needs to work on eluding defenders.

You're not going to find anyone with a stronger arm in college and possibly in the NFL as well. He's accurate and play against a top level of competition. There's a lot to like.

Aside from his heavy feet, the drug rumors and projected single digit Wonderlik score doesn't bode well for him. If teams feel there's some substance to the character concerns, they'll be hesitant to draft him as the face of their franchise.

He doesn't have to prove anything with his arm. The interview process is going to be crucial for him. That's where he'll make his money.
Share 49ersWebzone