LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
A few things...

1. Where's Jeremy Beal? He should run/workout pretty well at the combine.

2. Why so low on Brooks Reed? He CRUSHED it at the Sr. Bowl and will tear up the combine. Physical FREAK.

3. Three qb's in the top 12?? NONE of which ran a system that required them to drop back from center and read a defense. This is one of the worst qb classes in quite some time. Not happening.

4. Pat Devlin @ 88 and Ricky Stanzi is nowhere to be seen??? C'mon bruh.

5. LOL @ Kaepernick ahead of Ponder. Um, NO.

Where in the rule book does it say that a QB has to have played in a pro style offense? Or any offensive style? You do know that half of the offensive styles that NFL teams play are shotgun spread nowadays? You do know most QBs that ever played in the history of the NFL came up in wishbone type of offense in college? Breaking News! It is OK if a QB doesnt play in a "under center" style of offense.

This qb has 4 standout QBs like it or not...4 qbs that will be drafted in the 1st. And possibly 7 in the first 2 rounds. But ok if you still say that this is the worst QB class in some time.

[ Edited by ninerlifer on Feb 5, 2011 at 19:46:35 ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

This qb has 4 standout QBs like it or not...4 qbs that will be drafted in the 1st. And possibly 7 in the first 2 rounds.

Out of need rather than wisdom. This is a remarkably subprime class.
Originally posted by JDog:
What exactly is the knock on Ryan Mallet again? I am not pro or against him, but I have not heard anyone on the zone talk good about him.

Maddog had him ranked 12th, all the videos I I'm have seen on him shows very good accuracy, strong arm, and yes he does show good mobility. He is not short, and he did play in a the tough SEC confrence. I just watched lastnight in the college QB.challenge, which he one.

So what am I missing guys?

He's got a million dollar arm, but lackluster decision making. He's also about 6'7 and has limited mobility in and around the pocket. Not asking the guy to be Steve Young, but he has a hard time stepping up in the pocket or maneuvering to avoid the rush. You can sum him up in the Alabama game. He was awesome in the first half making great reads and terrific touch on his throws. Then in the second half he made some really poor decisions. Just throwing the ball where it shouldn't be thrown. Same thing on the last drive vs. Ohio State in the bowl game. Now, if you look at the Auburn game on the other hand they would've probably won had he not gotten hurt. I'm higher on Mallet than most on this board, but its easy to see why he's downgraded. Its also been reported that there are some maturity issues with him. Think of it this way he could be another Flacco or he could be another Druckenmiller. Those are the extremes with him. Now Locker and Newton are not without their flaws and frankly I think Mallet is better than both of them, but he's a risky proposition nevertheless. I think as a passer though he's far more accomplished than those two.
If MD's board shakes out and I think its pretty reasonable...even if we get Miller in the first, I'd have a hard time passing on Brooks Reed in the third.
A few things...

2. Why so low on Brooks Reed? He CRUSHED it at the Sr. Bowl and will tear up the combine. Physical FREAK.

3. Three qb's in the top 12?? NONE of which ran a system that required them to drop back from center and read a defense. This is one of the worst qb classes in quite some time. Not happening.

Where in the rule book does it say that a QB has to have played in a pro style offense? Or any offensive style? You do know that half of the offensive styles that NFL teams play are shotgun spread nowadays? You do know most QBs that ever played in the history of the NFL came up in wishbone type of offense in college? Breaking News! It is OK if a QB doesnt play in a "under center" style of offense.

This qb has 4 standout QBs like it or not...4 qbs that will be drafted in the 1st. And possibly 7 in the first 2 rounds. But ok if you still say that this is the worst QB class in some time.

-No they don't.

-The ONLY reason the pundits assume 4 qb's will be taken in the 1st is because they are the biggest NEEDs of so many teams. None of the "standout 4" would've been taken in last years first round. In fact, they won't be this year either. Two. Maybe. None in the top 10. Book it.
Originally posted by JDeezy:
What exactly is the knock on Ryan Mallet again? I am not pro or against him, but I have not heard anyone on the zone talk good about him.

Maddog had him ranked 12th, all the videos I I'm have seen on him shows very good accuracy, strong arm, and yes he does show good mobility. He is not short, and he did play in a the tough SEC confrence. I just watched lastnight in the college QB.challenge, which he one.

He's got a million dollar arm, but lackluster decision making. He's also about 6'7 and has limited mobility in and around the pocket. Not asking the guy to be Steve Young, but he has a hard time stepping up in the pocket or maneuvering to avoid the rush. You can sum him up in the Alabama game. He was awesome in the first half making great reads and terrific touch on his throws. Then in the second half he made some really poor decisions. Just throwing the ball where it shouldn't be thrown. Same thing on the last drive vs. Ohio State in the bowl game. Now, if you look at the Auburn game on the other hand they would've probably won had he not gotten hurt. I'm higher on Mallet than most on this board, but its easy to see why he's downgraded. Its also been reported that there are some maturity issues with him. Think of it this way he could be another Flacco or he could be another Druckenmiller. Those are the extremes with him. Now Locker and Newton are not without their flaws and frankly I think Mallet is better than both of them, but he's a risky proposition nevertheless. I think as a passer though he's far more accomplished than those two.

The reason people are low on Mallett are because of the Petrino system. Doesn't require qb's to read a defense and make decisions. IMO Mallett can handle the pro's.
  • dj43
A few things...

-No they don't.

-The ONLY reason the pundits assume 4 qb's will be taken in the 1st is because they are the biggest NEEDs of so many teams. None of the "standout 4" would've been taken in last years first round. In fact, they won't be this year either. Two. Maybe. None in the top 10. Book it.
In any other year I would agree with you. However, for some reason, this year just seems like there is a much greater need for QBs than any year I can recall. There are 6 teams that are in dire need of a QB, including the 49ers. That will result in 3 or 4 teams reaching for guys who will be picked 12-15 spots higher than they would be in most other years. My guess is that there will be four in the first rounds: Gabberts, Mallet, Newton and Locker. Do I think any of them are a good value where they will be picked? No.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Questionable decision making, character issues and pocket presence/mobility
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Questionable decision making, character issues and pocket presence/mobility

Well, decision making can be coached, and I don't think he has major character issues. He got in trouble for what? A DUI? However, the pocket presence thing is tough to teach, is a natural instinctive talent, IMO.
Originally posted by JDeezy:
If MD's board shakes out and I think its pretty reasonable...even if we get Miller in the first, I'd have a hard time passing on Brooks Reed in the third.

I highly doubt Reed falls to the 3rd, I can see him now as a late 1 early 2.

A few things...

-No they don't.

- Yes they do. The Colts, Patriots, Chiefs, Saints are among the teams that employ this style. Many teams although not exclusive, run different versions of the spread. It is the new style...although the spread run style, now that is a different story...but spread passing., alot of teams do it.

- Because QB is the most important position in the league they will. You cant say that they all suck. When was the last time this many qbs will be drafted in the first couple of rounds?
Hey MD I really respect & value your opinion, I may not always agree but you definitely put in the effort & it's always well thought out so thanks. My question for anyone who has a thought on this is about Kentucky WR Randall Cobb. I am a big Kentucky fan & was shocked when Cobb declared, he struck me as a great college player who would have gotten way more pub on a better team. However I don't see him as a big time NFL player, he is projected by most to go in the 2nd/3rd rd. range. What makes him different from Brad Smith & Randle El?

[ Edited by epdavis on Feb 6, 2011 at 05:50:53 ]
Originally posted by epdavis:
Hey MD I really respect & value your opinion, I may not always agree but you definitely put in the effort & it's always well thought out so thanks. My question for anyone who has a thought on this is about Kentucky WR Randall Cobb. I am a big Kentucky fan & was shocked when Cobb declared, he struck me as a great college player who would have gotten way more pub on a better team. However I don't see him as a big time NFL player, he is projected by most to go in the 2nd/3rd rd. range. What makes him different from Brad Smith & Randle El?

both of them were college qbs?
Originally posted by epdavis:

both of them were college qbs?

Cobb was also a college QB, he made the sec all freshman team as a QB playing in almost every gm. I wasn't really trying to compare Cobb to Smith & El as a prospect cause I do believe that he is a better prospect because of the fact that he made the switch to WR while still in college, but I was comparing them in terms future NFL success.
MadDog -- in your preamble you mention 49ers seem smitten with Von Miller. Do you get this info from a publication you could share with us, or through the scouting resources you've developed over the years.

[ Edited by ishkabibel on Feb 6, 2011 at 08:25:48 ]
Share 49ersWebzone