There are 228 users in the forums

Don't draft a QB 1st!

IMO, the all the ppl and analysts that project for the niners to take a qb is just bad. When you look at the qbs available, none of them had that star potential like andrew luck sam bradford.

The niners are really better off drafting a pass rusher or cb. Either way its better than the qb. We can always make a play for kolb or palmer.

Peterson/Amukamara or Von Miller/Quinn.

You cannot go wrong with those picks. Its debatable which one yes, but any one of those would be better for the team rather than a new QB.

Blaine Gabbert? Child plz.

Newbs
I would put a lot of money on us not taking a QB in round one.
Many of those mock draft websites aren't very credible so I wouldn't listen to them if they have us doing that.
Depends on how Gabbert and Newton do at the combine (as well as the 2nd tier guys like Locker, Ponder, Mallett, and Kaepernick).

I doubt any of these guys "wow" the FO so let's draft Quinn!

But it is a QB driven league. If Harbaugh thinks any of these guys can be "the guy", then we will pull the trigger.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Depends on how Gabbert and Newton do at the combine (as well as the 2nd tier guys like Locker, Ponder, Mallett, and Kaepernick).

But it is a QB driven league. If Harbaugh thinks any of these guys can be "the guy", then we will pull the trigger.

NEP!
Here's the dilemna we're facing:

We very badly need a franchise QB, but there's no clear-cut franchise QB in this draft. There are guys with great tools (size, arm strength, mobility, etc.), but nobody who has put those things together into a pro-ready package; each will take some time to develop (if in fact they ever do).

So we have a choice:

1.) Taking a guy in the first who isn't completely ready or completely developed as a passer, but who has all/most of the physical tools you look for in a franchise QB and let coach Harbaugh develop him over time in to a top-notch WCO-style QB (Gabbert, Newton, Locker)

or

2.) Go with other positional talent in the first (CB, pass rusher, etc.) and take a QB later in the draft, knowing they don't have quite the all-around physical tools that the 1st rounders do, but they have enough to work with to allow coach Harbaugh to develop them over time in to a top-notch WCO-style QB (Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Stanzi, etc.)
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

We very badly need a franchise QB, but there's no clear-cut franchise QB in this draft. There are guys with great tools (size, arm strength, mobility, etc.), but nobody who has put those things together into a pro-ready package; each will take some time to develop (if in fact they ever do).

So we have a choice:

1.) Taking a guy in the first who isn't completely ready or completely developed as a passer, but who has all/most of the physical tools you look for in a franchise QB and let coach Harbaugh develop him over time in to a top-notch WCO-style QB (Gabbert, Newton, Locker)

or

2.) Go with other positional talent in the first (CB, pass rusher, etc.) and take a QB later in the draft, knowing they don't have quite the all-around physical tools that the 1st rounders do, but they have enough to work with to allow coach Harbaugh to develop them over time in to a top-notch WCO-style QB (Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Stanzi, etc.)

I'd go for the latter because any QB Harbaugh takes in he will develop into a better QB product. Give the D a playmaker boost and have a better chance at winning the turnover battle every time will always give offense's job a lot easier or the defense can score for us.
Originally posted by ninerac3s:

So we have a choice:

or

I'd go for the latter because any QB Harbaugh takes in he will develop into a better QB product. Give the D a playmaker boost and have a better chance at winning the turnover battle every time will always give offense's job a lot easier or the defense can score for us.

And by taking a later round QB, we position ourselves better next year's QB class, which is much better. Maybe a Freeman, Flacco, or Rodgers type who fell in the first.
If I where running the show I think I go out and get a vet QB first of all. Someone who can start for a year or two. Then depending on how the cards fall I take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. Then next year I make a push to get the franchise QB depending on how that QB is doing. Either way we need two other QBs besides the vet. Worst comes to worse the 2nd/3rd rounder works out and the franchise guy we draft next year works out so we trade one of them. Meanwhile I build up the defense and offense this year and then after trading up next year I continue to add playmakers around those young QBs. In a couple years by the time that QB is ready to start we should have a really really solid team around him.
I'd be surprised if we take a QB at #7. I expect harbaugh to take one in the second or third.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

if newton shows improved mechanics (same goes for locker), there will be a chance that we go for a qb in the first.

So we have a choice:

or

IMO, it depends on what you're looking to do. If you want to win the Super Bowl, the odds are in your favor if you draft/develop a 1st round QB to do it. 20 of the 44 previous Super Bowl winners were led by a 1st round QB...we can actually make it 21 of 45, since both QBs in this SB are also 1st rounders. Heck, if we're splitting hairs, we can say 23 of 45 SB winners were first rounders +1 (Favre and Brees were first picks in the second round, putting them just outside the range by 1 selection).

Not to mentinon, of the 44 Super Bowls already played, 31 of them had at least one starting QB who was a 1st rounder (that's 70%).

Point is, if you want to win or just even get to the Super Bowl, your odds are much better with a 1st round QB. Either that, or hope one of these mid-2nd round guys (or later) turns into a Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Bart Starr, etc....however, those guys are the exception, and not the rule.
usually i argue in the same manner, i.e. you wont find franchise qbs outside of the 1st round...of course, there are some exceptions to the rule.
BUT i wouldnt say that this year's first-round QB-picks could be considered as franchise qbs with the same possibility as in the earlier drafts. this year's qb-class is very weak.

So we have a choice:

or

IMO, it depends on what you're looking to do. If you want to win the Super Bowl, the odds are in your favor if you draft/develop a 1st round QB to do it. 20 of the 44 previous Super Bowl winners were led by a 1st round QB...we can actually make it 21 of 45, since both QBs in this SB are also 1st rounders. Heck, if we're splitting hairs, we can say 23 of 45 SB winners were first rounders +1 (Favre and Brees were first picks in the second round, putting them just outside the range by 1 selection).

Not to mentinon, of the 44 Super Bowls already played, 31 of them had at least one starting QB who was a 1st rounder (that's 70%).

Point is, if you want to win or just even get to the Super Bowl, your odds are much better with a 1st round QB. Either that, or hope one of these mid-2nd round guys (or later) turns into a Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Bart Starr, etc....however, those guys are the exception, and not the rule.

I agree with the reasoning, hard to argue with those statistics. But here's the problem. Where do you see an Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, etc in this first round? All QBs have questions coming out of college, but to me, it seems this year, these QBs have more questions than usual. There was no question that the above mentioned guys are first round talent, where it seems like the guys coming out this year will be drafted in the first round because there is no one else or have so much upside to go along with a lot of raw ability (too much raw for my liking).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

So we have a choice:

or

I agree with the reasoning, hard to argue with those statistics. But here's the problem. Where do you see an Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, etc in this first round? All QBs have questions coming out of college, but to me, it seems this year, these QBs have more questions than usual. There was no question that the above mentioned guys are first round talent, where it seems like the guys coming out this year will be drafted in the first round because there is no one else or have so much upside to go along with a lot of raw ability (too much raw for my liking).

Rodgers had enough questions to drop him down to the 24th pick, and Big Ben had all the tools, but questions around the level of competition in the MAC pushed him out of the top 10 where the Steelers had hoped to let Ben sit for a year (or more) and learn behind Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. McNabb has the most issues/concerns coming out of that option-based offense while at Syracuse.
Share 49ersWebzone