LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by dwy621:
How do you compare these QBs to last years QBs? I remember all the QBs dropping last year.

This class is a lot different than last year's. Last year, four QB's were drafted in the first three rounds: Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, and McCoy.

One player was head and shoulder over the others, Sam Bradford. This year, the highest drafted QB could be any one of four guys: Gabbert, Newton, Locker, and Mallett.

Two of the four QB's drafted last year had big questions about arm strength: Tebow and McCoy. None of this year's Big Four have issues with arm strength.

Clausen dropped due to character issues. He is seen as a punk by some, and not a solid leader by others. All four of these QB's are very respected leaders by their team, coaches and analysts.

So, in the end, I don't see a drop at all for the Big Four. In fact, I'd be absolutely shocked if any of them fell beyond the Seahawks at 25. These teams have serious QB issues: Carolina, Arizona, SF, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota, Miami, and Seattle. Four of these teams are selecting QB's, and I expect each of these guys to put on a good performance at their campus and individual workouts.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
How do you compare these QBs to last years QBs? I remember all the QBs dropping last year.

This class is a lot different than last year's. Last year, four QB's were drafted in the first three rounds: Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, and McCoy.

One player was head and shoulder over the others, Sam Bradford. This year, the highest drafted QB could be any one of four guys: Gabbert, Newton, Locker, and Mallett.

Two of the four QB's drafted last year had big questions about arm strength: Tebow and McCoy. None of this year's Big Four have issues with arm strength.

Clausen dropped due to character issues. He is seen as a punk by some, and not a solid leader by others. All four of these QB's are very respected leaders by their team, coaches and analysts.

So, in the end, I don't see a drop at all for the Big Four. In fact, I'd be absolutely shocked if any of them fell beyond the Seahawks at 25. These teams have serious QB issues: Carolina, Arizona, SF, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota, Miami, and Seattle. Four of these teams are selecting QB's, and I expect each of these guys to put on a good performance at their campus and individual workouts.

You actually expect Locker and Newton to do well? They seem scary to me because both of them could be huge busts IMO.
No Prince Amukamara? Did I spell that right?
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
No Prince Amukamara? Did I spell that right?

If we get Peterson we do not need Prince Amukumara. Peterson is rated as the top CB in the country. Not to mention the guy has some pretty good genes... he is related to Bryant McFadden of the Steelers, and Sinorice and Santana Moss of the Giants and Redskins.

I'm feeling this draft, especially with Dalton selection.
[ Edited by E-49er on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran

I believe that Harbaugh knows that Locker needs work but has potential to be a good starter in his system.
MD, who is one guy at any round you think there is a very likely chance they select more than any other of the picks? I felt that way about Bear Pascoe a few years back and wanted to get your thoughts on this year.

Another question is who do you think is the most overrated player in this draft?

Lastly do you think Clay Mathew's brother will be "overdrafted" too early simply because of his brother's success?

Thanks MD!!!
[ Edited by bergy07 on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

You actually expect Locker and Newton to do well? They seem scary to me because both of them could be huge busts IMO.

Newton has scary good potential in the right situation. Developing his potential could be why we got Harbaugh in the first place. Matching Newton and Harbaugh could be like Reid and McNabb. Chances are he blows up the combine and workouts and we have no shot at him.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Newton has scary good potential in the right situation. Developing his potential could be why we got Harbaugh in the first place. Matching Newton and Harbaugh could be like Reid and McNabb. Chances are he blows up the combine and workouts and we have no shot at him.

That'd be nice because it could push Dareus or Peterson to us.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by backontop:
According to this updated Mock Draft, it has Jake Locker falling out of the 1st round as I predicted ONE of the "Big 4" would

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc9757/article/mock-draft-underclassmen-dominate-top-10-picks?module=HP_cp2

I just don't see ANY WAY Newton, Gabbert, Mallet AND Locker get drafted in the 1st round One of them should be available when we pick in the 2nd round and if not, then RIGHT BEFORE our pick (45) where we could easily trade up and get the better prospect instead of going with Stanzi, Devlin or Dalton

I hope we steer clear of anyone named Locker. I want Stanzi in the 2nd. His stock will keep rising.

Honestly, with Harbaugh as the coach, He will be able to turn each QB into a good one so I would rather take the QB that has the higher ceiling for potential and this particular case, it would be Locker IMO. We'll see how the the combine and Senior Bowl goes though

Harbaugh is not a miracle worker, not saying he couldnt make Locker a good QB but lets not assume every QB he gets will automatically be awesome.

I never stated he would turn any QB into an AWESOME one but if he turned a "no name" Josh Johnson into a DRAFTED QB from a small school and then Luck, who was not even considered the best prospect coming out of High School into a "Sure-fire" #1 Overall pick after two years, I'm sure he can turn any of the top 4 guys who have a ton of potential into a GOOD NFL QB. We don't NEED "awesome" right now, we need "above average" to get to the playoffs and "GOOD" to do something IN the playoffs
Originally posted by teeohh:
The bengals pick kind of surprises me, id think they go.d or receiver. I know palmer hasn't been great but still

I live very close to the land of the Bengals. Palmer was horrific the last half of 2010, and there is a pretty good likelihood that he will be elsewhere in 2011. If a top QB is on the board at that point, it is a distinct possibility that there might be a draft day trade for Palmer.

They need a lot of help. This is a team in a rebuild phase.

They wouldn't be able to trad Palmer on draft day without a CBA though.

maddog--niners used to have success taking college safeties and making corners out of them (lott, wright, griffin)...could ucla's rahim moore make shift to corner

and does peterson have the fluidity in his hips to be a nflcorner?
I'd be happy with CB/QB in rounds 1-2. Moreover, I like watching Dalton play...seems like a winner.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by backontop:
According to this updated Mock Draft, it has Jake Locker falling out of the 1st round as I predicted ONE of the "Big 4" would

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc9757/article/mock-draft-underclassmen-dominate-top-10-picks?module=HP_cp2

I just don't see ANY WAY Newton, Gabbert, Mallet AND Locker get drafted in the 1st round One of them should be available when we pick in the 2nd round and if not, then RIGHT BEFORE our pick (45) where we could easily trade up and get the better prospect instead of going with Stanzi, Devlin or Dalton

I hope we steer clear of anyone named Locker. I want Stanzi in the 2nd. His stock will keep rising.

Honestly, with Harbaugh as the coach, He will be able to turn each QB into a good one so I would rather take the QB that has the higher ceiling for potential and this particular case, it would be Locker IMO. We'll see how the the combine and Senior Bowl goes though

Harbaugh is not a miracle worker, not saying he couldnt make Locker a good QB but lets not assume every QB he gets will automatically be awesome.

I never stated he would turn any QB into an AWESOME one but if he turned a "no name" Josh Johnson into a DRAFTED QB from a small school and then Luck, who was not even considered the best prospect coming out of High School into a "Sure-fire" #1 Overall pick after two years, I'm sure he can turn any of the top 4 guys who have a ton of potential into a GOOD NFL QB. We don't NEED "awesome" right now, we need "above average" to get to the playoffs and "GOOD" to do something IN the playoffs

So by that logic, could Harbaugh turn Alex Smith into a much better QB who could lead us to the playoffs?
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I'd be happy with CB/QB in rounds 1-2. Moreover, I like watching Dalton play...seems like a winner.

If the Niners really want Dalton though, they will probably have to get him early.....he may go in the top 16 of the entire draft, according to John Clayton of ESPN, because many teams have him rated higher than Mallet or Locker....
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
maddog--niners used to have success taking college safeties and making corners out of them (lott, wright, griffin)...could ucla's rahim moore make shift to corner

and does peterson have the fluidity in his hips to be a nflcorner?

They also have had success in turning college CBs into Pro Bowl safeties (Merton Hanks).... Since the Niners don't have any real good coverage safeties right now, this might not be a bad approach late in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone