There are 158 users in the forums

At #7... a Prince vs a QB

At #7... a Prince vs a QB

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Harbaugh nows what Locker can do in his time in the Pac-10. It would not suprise me to see us take Locker at #7 so Harbaugh can groom him in the WCO.

Harbaugh also saw him struggle too, it would not surprised me if he stayed far away from him either.

HArbaugh will take eveything into consideration, including the fact that Locker had very few playmakers and support around him. But, your right he could just stay away from him, unless he's there in the 2nd rd or something.

IMO and I hope Harbaugh sees it as well, but Locker is just too much of a project to take at #7. And from the Baalke interview, it seems as if Baalke is weary of taking another Spread or project Qb that high. Then again, if Harbaugh feels he can work with Locker and mold him into a franchise QB, then I couldn't be mad with that, cause of course I trust Harbaugh's opinion over mine or any other in the Zone.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Harbaugh nows what Locker can do in his time in the Pac-10. It would not suprise me to see us take Locker at #7 so Harbaugh can groom him in the WCO.

Harbaugh also saw him struggle too, it would not surprised me if he stayed far away from him either.

HArbaugh will take eveything into consideration, including the fact that Locker had very few playmakers and support around him. But, your right he could just stay away from him, unless he's there in the 2nd rd or something.

IMO and I hope Harbaugh sees it as well, but Locker is just too much of a project to take at #7. And from the Baalke interview, it seems as if Baalke is weary of taking another Spread or project Qb that high. Then again, if Harbaugh feels he can work with Locker and mold him into a franchise QB, then I couldn't be mad with that, cause of course I trust Harbaugh's opinion over mine or any other in the Zone.

Im not a big Locker fan but if Harbaugh likes him at #7 then i trust he knows what he is doing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:

Are you saying Locker is a spread QB?

Project and Spread, he struggled in a Pro system.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If Harbaugh thinks one of the top QBs can start for the 49ers then he has to take a QB at #7.

Nicely said, Jcool.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Thats what worries me, you take elite cornerbacks that high, I just dont think he is elite status.

Are you referring to my reply jim??

Yeah, when I see him, I see another Joe Haden.

Good comparison, only Amukamara is a much better tackler. I just don't like the angles Amukamra takes some times. He shows good coverage, but then he takes a bad angle and fails to not only make a play on the ball, but fails to secure the tackle also.

It's not that Haden is a bad player because he had a decent year but when you see Peterson, you can tell this guy is a playmaker.......
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for Jcool.

Are you saying Locker is a spread QB?

Project and Spread, he struggled in a Pro system.

yeah i didn't notice the "or project" part
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
If Harbaugh thinks one of the top QBs can start for the 49ers then he has to take a QB at #7.

Nicely said, Jcool.

The failure of almost every college coach trying to make it in the NFL is directly tied to the QB position.

Jimmy Johnson: 2 Superbowl's, Troy Aikman (HOF)

Steve Spurrier:

2002: Patrick Ramsey 5 starts 2-3 record,Shane Matthews 7 starts 3-4 record, Danny Wuerffel 4 starts 2-2 record OVERALL 7-9

2003: Patrick Ramsey 11 starts 4-7 record, Tim Hasselbeck 5 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 5-11

Nick Saban:

2005: Gus Frerotte 15 starts 9-6 record OVERALL 9-7

2006: Joey Harrington 11 starts 5-6 record, Daunte Culpepper 4 starts 1-3 record OVERALL 6-10

Bobby Petrino:

2007: Joey Harrington 10 starts 3-7 record, Chris Redman 4 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 4-12

oh and if Harbaugh is reading this... Stay away from Joey Harrington!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Nicely said, Jcool.

The failure of almost every college coach trying to make it in the NFL is directly tied to the QB position.

Steve Spurrier:

2002: Patrick Ramsey 5 starts 2-3 record,Shane Matthews 7 starts 3-4 record, Danny Wuerffel 4 starts 2-2 record OVERALL 7-9

2003: Patrick Ramsey 11 starts 4-7 record, Tim Hasselbeck 5 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 5-11

Nick Saban:

2006: Joey Harrington 11 starts 5-6 record, Daunte Culpepper 4 starts 1-3 record OVERALL 6-10

Bobby Petrino:

2007: Joey Harrington 10 starts 3-7 record, Chris Redman 4 starts 1-4 record OVERALL 4-12

What about Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
There are a lot of decent QB's coming out in this draft but thats it... they are decent lol. the only QB i'd take at #7 is Luck and thats not gonna happen. I'd rather pick Amukamara, sign a vet QB and draft a project guy like Kellen Moore, Kaepernick, Enderle, Dalton, Devlin etc. with the hopes that one of them might be the guy.

if none of the rookies work out then we can see what are options are next year.

These would be my thoughts as well
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Nicely said, Jcool.

Steve Spurrier:

Nick Saban:

Bobby Petrino:

I guess your right. Coughlin was never a coordinator in the NFL only a position coach, I guess Harbaugh and him can be compared, not saying your comparing the two that's just me. I'm just saying your right Coughlin is a college coach first.

• Jcool
  • Veteran

Nicely said, Jcool.

Steve Spurrier:

Nick Saban:

Bobby Petrino:

I guess your right. Coughlin was never a coordinator in the NFL only a position coach, I guess Harbaugh and him can be compared, not saying your comparing the two that's just me. I'm just saying your right Coughlin is a college coach first.

Well he is wrong with the fact that that it would be Tom Coughlin and Mark Brunell. Id say he was more an NFL guy when the Giants hired him. Proves my point still that the college coach downfall is not that they cant adjust to the NFL, its that they rarely get the QB they need to be successful and the ones that do get the QB have success.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
I'd rather sign or trade for a QB then draft one in the first round

If i'm doing this draft, it's take prince. Wait until the second round. If luck came out sure grab him, he's the only qb i have rated top 10. Now as the others late first round pick possible second rounders!

Agree. Go Prince & no QB at #7!
If any of the 34 linemen fall to 7, I'd be looking at them over Prince. Better CB selection in 2nd round.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The better question is Prince Vs Robert Quinn.
Thats what worries me, you take elite cornerbacks that high, I just dont think he is elite status.

Are you referring to my reply jim??

Yeah, when I see him, I see another Joe Haden.

Good comparison, only Amukamara is a much better tackler. I just don't like the angles Amukamra takes some times. He shows good coverage, but then he takes a bad angle and fails to not only make a play on the ball, but fails to secure the tackle also.

It's not that Haden is a bad player because he had a decent year but when you see Peterson, you can tell this guy is a playmaker.......

thats what im sayin, hopefully peterson drops, ive been watching prince and im just not sold on him at 7
Share 49ersWebzone