LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

My First Top 7 Mock (1/9/11)

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I know a lot people aren't fans of Gabbert right now, but I can't see Locker going before him.

I also bet Locker doesn't run under 4.4 at the combine or his pro day. He may have run a 4.39 on campus, but it was likely hand timed.

I think the kid may wow with his combine workout, but the make or break for Locker will be his pro day (I don't expect him to throw at the combine) and how he does in classroom situations when he interviews with teams.

His value is still hard to gauge right now.
I agree and also Harbaugh said in the introductory press conference he was looking for a QB with "athletic instincts". This is not Locker as he has a low completion percentage, made poor decisions and gets happy feet too quickly after one read. He is a gritty competitor but he does not seem like a WCO type guy, more of a Raiders type QB.

Marcel Dareus looks way better to me at 7 or Amakamura.

[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Jan 9, 2011 at 09:31:39 ]
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
People make me laugh with Newton being years away. Guy came into the SEC the best conference in college football and scored 48 touch downs. He is so much more than a running QB which ignorant people label him. So you destroy the best college division in a single season but won't transition to the NFL. I don't get it.
its so much more complicated then that. He has a lot of issues that will not allow him to translate to the nfl. He has never had to read a defense for one. He has terrible mechanics. He has also shown some charcter issues. Plus he has to learn to run the WCO coming out of the spread. Ontop of that his system made it so he hit very open recievers. He hasnt had to actually throw into windows on the field. I am probably missing some here.
There is no way Locker is the first qb off the board at #7. I just don't see it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
There is no way Locker is the first qb off the board at #7. I just don't see it.

Unlessssssss, we are only drafting for MOBILITY.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Locker is going to have blow up at the Senior Bowl and have an unbelievable combine to be the first qb taken. Especially after the lackluster performance of his senior season.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Locker in the Top 10 is crazy! What are theylooking at High School Tapes and highlights? I agree with Mallet not being a candidate for the position, but that's about it. For Locker to move up that much because of the combine, he would need to become a mind reader to know the perfect answer to give the coaches and the GM's. His arm stregth will have to improve like Elway/Marino, and his mobility will have to show like Steve Young and Cunningham.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Locker is going to have blow up at the Senior Bowl and have an unbelievable combine to be the first qb taken. Especially after the lackluster performance of his senior season.

He was a #1 overall type pick last year had he come out. Bradford's stock did not fall at all, despite a senior year where he did not really even play (injury). If Locker has a great combine and great NFL workouts he'll be top 10.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Bradford didn't choak it when he came back!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
You could trade down and still get Locker.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have the 49ers taking Jake Locker at #7. After the combine, he will regain most of the luster he lost during his senior season. Remember, the guy runs a 4.39 40, has a rocket arm, and has the leadership skills (and upper body strength) of a Tim Tebow. This is Jim Harbaugh's guy. Mallet doesn't fit the West Coast offense, Gabbert may or may not be a fit (that's a wild-card), and Newton is a multi-year project who lacks the intelligence Harbaugh desires. Its quite possible that Harbaugh falls in love with a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback like Ponder or Stanzi and we take Amukamura instead, but I think we go quarterback. acquiring Vince Young or Kolb would change the equation as well.

One interesting piece of information is that I've heard Jim Harbaugh absolutely despises the Washington coaching staff -- any insight on this?

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Again, no coach yet. But the secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. Cleveland (5-11) - WR Julio Jones, Alabama. Cleveland can go three ways here: D-Line, WR, or corner just because Amukamura is the best player available. Cleveland has a poor run defense, but they could also take Amukamura and have two shutdown corners for years to come. I see that as unlikely, so they'll go with Julio Jones to help out Colt McCoy. Cleveland is probably going to hire an offensive coach as well, which makes this decision even more likely

7. San Francisco (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. We have a ton of choices here. We can plug our biggest need, cornerback, by taking Amukamura, or we can build an even more dominant defensive line by taking Dareus or JJ Watt, or we can have our pick of quarterbacks. From what I've read, Harbaugh puts a very high premium on athletic instincts and intangibles at quartberback, so I think Mallett is out as an option. Gabbert has decent mobility, but is still more of a pocket passer. The three athletic quarterbacks are Jake Locker, Cam Newton, and Christian Ponder (2nd Round). Cam is a 2 or 3 year project. So when all is said and done, I think the 49ers take QB Jake Locker at #7. He has all the tools required to be a superior player in the West Coast offense, period. He had an awful senior season, and he should regain most of the #1 overall status he lost after the combine. Locker has the leadership skills of a Tim Tebow, and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash! Amazing arm strength, upper body strength, vision, etc. Locker's measurables compare favorably to John Elway (the baseball background helps that comparison)...and the Steve Young comparisons fly around too (I heard Young is very, very, very high on Jake Locker...does anyone have a link?). I would be very happy with this pick.

Outstanding job.

This is an example of a realistic, well thought out mock with players going in the slots where they make the most amount of sense and has good commentary with each pick.

I'd be surprised if SF takes the 1st QB of the draft... as Gabbert is a possibility for teams like Carolina/Buffalo/Arizona. But it could happen. I too would be very happy with the Locker pick.

It is an absolute fallacy that Steve Young likes Jake Locker.

In an interview with KNBR, i think from around Dec 30th, Steve Young praises Andrew Luck for his quarterback specific instincts. Then He's asked about Locker, and Steve Young says Locker is just the opposite, in fact his quarterback specific traits were terrible and wouldnt translate well in the NFL.

I DO NOT WANT JAKE LOCKER.... we gotta go with Prince at #7 and hope Harbaugh can find a diamond in the rough later on in the draft

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Newton doesnt have the intelligence?
"Newton is a multi-year project who lacks the intelligence Harbaugh desires. Its quite possible that Harbaugh falls in love with a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback like Ponder or Stanzi and we take Amukamura instead, but I think we go quarterback. acquiring Vince Young or Kolb would change the equation as well. "

LOL...

Really?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have the 49ers taking Jake Locker at #7. After the combine, he will regain most of the luster he lost during his senior season. Remember, the guy runs a 4.39 40, has a rocket arm, and has the leadership skills (and upper body strength) of a Tim Tebow. This is Jim Harbaugh's guy. Mallet doesn't fit the West Coast offense, Gabbert may or may not be a fit (that's a wild-card), and Newton is a multi-year project who lacks the intelligence Harbaugh desires. Its quite possible that Harbaugh falls in love with a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback like Ponder or Stanzi and we take Amukamura instead, but I think we go quarterback. acquiring Vince Young or Kolb would change the equation as well.

One interesting piece of information is that I've heard Jim Harbaugh absolutely despises the Washington coaching staff -- any insight on this?

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Again, no coach yet. But the secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. Cleveland (5-11) - WR Julio Jones, Alabama. Cleveland can go three ways here: D-Line, WR, or corner just because Amukamura is the best player available. Cleveland has a poor run defense, but they could also take Amukamura and have two shutdown corners for years to come. I see that as unlikely, so they'll go with Julio Jones to help out Colt McCoy. Cleveland is probably going to hire an offensive coach as well, which makes this decision even more likely

7. San Francisco (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. We have a ton of choices here. We can plug our biggest need, cornerback, by taking Amukamura, or we can build an even more dominant defensive line by taking Dareus or JJ Watt, or we can have our pick of quarterbacks. From what I've read, Harbaugh puts a very high premium on athletic instincts and intangibles at quartberback, so I think Mallett is out as an option. Gabbert has decent mobility, but is still more of a pocket passer. The three athletic quarterbacks are Jake Locker, Cam Newton, and Christian Ponder (2nd Round). Cam is a 2 or 3 year project. So when all is said and done, I think the 49ers take QB Jake Locker at #7. He has all the tools required to be a superior player in the West Coast offense, period. He had an awful senior season, and he should regain most of the #1 overall status he lost after the combine. Locker has the leadership skills of a Tim Tebow, and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash! Amazing arm strength, upper body strength, vision, etc. Locker's measurables compare favorably to John Elway (the baseball background helps that comparison)...and the Steve Young comparisons fly around too (I heard Young is very, very, very high on Jake Locker...does anyone have a link?). I would be very happy with this pick.

Wrong on that... During his weekly call-in to Ralph & Tom, he characterized Luck as the most pro ready QB he has seen and went on to say that he just doesnt see the necessary skill set from Locker.
I am gonna say it, Locker, Mallett and Newton and even Gabbert DO NOT deserve a 1st rd grade.

But they will go top 15.

Right now I have locker 33rd, mallett 34th, and then newton and gabbert lower.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I am gonna say it, Locker, Mallett and Newton and even Gabbert DO NOT deserve a 1st rd grade.

But they will go top 15.

Right now I have locker 33rd, mallett 34th, and then newton and gabbert lower.

ab i dont understand your thought process. newton lower? he is very accurate with the long ball, great runner, heismann, and he destroyed the best football conference in college..... as young did say locker does not have the skill set.. Newton may or may not be NFL READY, but he is as ready as any qb in the draft playing and suceeding against the best players in college...

I dont really ever disagree with you but here.....
[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone