LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Doc's 2011 Thoughts

If Jed really wants to turn all this around it will take a few things. A respectable GM, Head Coach, and offensive coordinator definitely. There are definitely some roster moves that need to happen as well. I am no expert on coaches by any means, but I really hope they make some personnel moves at QB and in the defensive backfield. In my humble opinion, the below would do nicely.

2011 Draft:

1) CB: Prince Amukamara NEB - Prince is a technician. His addition along with Marshall, Mays, and Lainhart would instantly create a young top Defensive backfield.

2) QB: Pat Devlin DEL - I think many of the QBs in the first are over-hyped minus Luck. Delvin will be ready to start after a season behind Orton. He is tough, accurate, a strong arm, and is a natural leader.

3) ILB: Casey Matthews ORE - I am not totally sold on Bowman. Matthews is very intelligent and is a strong tackler. Let them learn from Spikes for a yr or 2 and should make a nice rotation.

4) OLB: Brooks Reed ARI - One of 2 sleepers in this draft. He reminds me of Kevin Greene. I think he actually wants to eat QBs.

4) FS: Brian Lainhart KENT - My 2nd sleeper this year. The man is a true playmaker. He is always around the ball knocking it loose, blasting the carrier, or taking it back the other direction.

5) WR/QB: Tyrod Taylor VT - Hopefully a Randel El No. 2. Would also serve as an emergency or Wildcat QB.

5) WR: Ryan Whalen STAN - This guy will be a steal if still available. He had an off year due to injury, but I really like this guy for his work ethic and soft hands.

5) FB: Owen Marecic STAN - How could you not want this guy on your team? Has an endless motor, a sweet mullet, is the size of a tank, and smart enough to graduate from STANFORD.

6) RB: Da'Rel Scott MAR
6) DE: Ladi Ajiboye SC
7) OG: David Arkin MST
7) K: Kai Forbath UCLA

Trade Clements and Haralson for 5th RD picks.

Free Agents:

1) CB: Richard Marshall CAR - The corner Clements was supposed to be. Physical and doesn't get beat deep.

2) LT: Alex Barron DAL - Sims is too old. They need a quality back up to take the Left when Staley gets his annual season ending injury.

3) QB: Kyle Orton DEN (if released or maybe traded for Troy Smith and a 2012 3rd rd pick) - Can keep the team competitive while grooming Devlin.

4) OG: Daryn Colledge GB - Rachal needs to go. Davis needs a quality vet along side him.

UDFA) OLB: Bruce Miller UCF
UDFA) OLB: Jake Coffmann NIU
UDFA) S: Andrew Rich BYU
UDFA) RB: Vai Taua NU
UDFA) QB: Kevin Riley CAL

Proposed 2011 Depth Chart

() = Practice Squad

THE O-23

QB: Orton / Devlin / Taylor (Riley)
RB: Gore / Dixon / Scott (Taua)
FB: Marecic
WR: Crabtree / Taylor / Ginn (Jurovich)
Morgan / Whalen / Williams
TE: V.Davis / Walker / Byham

RT: A.Davis / Boone
RG: Colledge / Arkin (Landolt)
C: Hietman / Baas
LG: Iupati / Baas
LT: Staley / Barron

The D-26

DE: J.Smith / Ajiboye (Tukuafu)
NT: Franklin / RJF
DE: Sopaoga / McDonald

OLB: Lawson / Brooks (Coffmann)
ILB: Willis / McKillop
ILB: Spikes / Bowman / Matthews
OLB: Reed / LaBoy / Miller

RCB: Amukamara / Spencer (Brock)
LCB: Marshall / T.Brown / Adams
SS: Mays / R.Smith
FS: Lainhart / Spillman / Maragos (Rich)

SP T-4

K: Forbath
P: Lee
LS: Jennings
RS: Ginn

KR: Ginn / Scott / Walker
PR: Ginn / Williams / Adams
the problem with Orton is this....
first, Troy isnt under contract and thus, hard to trade (you know, impossible)
Orton is guaranteed 5.5 mil from the Broncos this year, making a release VERY unlikely. They'll either get what they can for him in a trade, or just keep him as simply throwing the reigns to Tebow without a good backup is a giant risk this early on. so i dont see Denver trading orton and getting nothing in return this year (you suggest a 2012 3rd)
Originally posted by clemyre:
If Jed really wants to turn all this around it will take a few things. A respectable GM, Head Coach, and offensive coordinator definitely. There are definitely some roster moves that need to happen as well. I am no expert on coaches by any means, but I really hope they make some personnel moves at QB and in the defensive backfield. In my humble opinion, the below would do nicely.

2011 Draft:

1) CB: Prince Amukamara NEB - Prince is a technician. His addition along with Marshall, Mays, and Lainhart would instantly create a young top Defensive backfield.

2) QB: Pat Devlin DEL - I think many of the QBs in the first are over-hyped minus Luck. Delvin will be ready to start after a season behind Orton. He is tough, accurate, a strong arm, and is a natural leader.

3) ILB: Casey Matthews ORE - I am not totally sold on Bowman. Matthews is very intelligent and is a strong tackler. Let them learn from Spikes for a yr or 2 and should make a nice rotation.

4) OLB: Brooks Reed ARI - One of 2 sleepers in this draft. He reminds me of Kevin Greene. I think he actually wants to eat QBs.

4) FS: Brian Lainhart KENT - My 2nd sleeper this year. The man is a true playmaker. He is always around the ball knocking it loose, blasting the carrier, or taking it back the other direction.

5) WR/QB: Tyrod Taylor VT - Hopefully a Randel El No. 2. Would also serve as an emergency or Wildcat QB.

5) WR: Ryan Whalen STAN - This guy will be a steal if still available. He had an off year due to injury, but I really like this guy for his work ethic and soft hands.

5) FB: Owen Marecic STAN - How could you not want this guy on your team? Has an endless motor, a sweet mullet, is the size of a tank, and smart enough to graduate from STANFORD.

Trade Clements and Haralson for 5th RD picks.

Free Agents:

1) CB: Richard Marshall CAR - The corner Clements was supposed to be. Physical and doesn't get beat deep.

2) LT: Alex Barron DAL - Sims is too old. They need a quality back up to take the Left when Staley gets his annual season ending injury.

3) QB: Kyle Orton DEN (if released or maybe traded for Troy Smith and a 2012 3rd rd pick) - Can keep the team competitive while grooming Devlin.

4) OG: Daryn Colledge GB - Rachal needs to go. Davis needs a quality vet along side him.

UDFA) OLB: Bruce Miller UCF
UDFA) OLB: Jake Coffmann NIU
UDFA) S: Andrew Rich BYU
UDFA) RB: Vai Taua NU
UDFA) QB: Kevin Riley CAL

Proposed 2011 Depth Chart

() = Practice Squad

THE O-23

QB: Orton / Devlin / Taylor (Riley)
RB: Gore / Dixon / Scott (Taua)
FB: Marecic
WR: Crabtree / Taylor / Ginn (Jurovich)
Morgan / Whalen / Williams
TE: V.Davis / Walker / Byham

RT: A.Davis / Boone
RG: Colledge / Arkin (Landolt)
C: Hietman / Baas
LG: Iupati / Baas
LT: Staley / Barron

The D-26

DE: J.Smith / Ajiboye (Tukuafu)
NT: Franklin / RJF
DE: Sopaoga / McDonald

OLB: Lawson / Brooks (Coffmann)
ILB: Willis / McKillop
ILB: Spikes / Bowman / Matthews
OLB: Reed / LaBoy / Miller

RCB: Amukamara / Spencer (Brock)
LCB: Marshall / T.Brown / Adams
SS: Mays / R.Smith
FS: Lainhart / Spillman / Maragos (Rich)

SP T-4

K: Forbath
P: Lee
LS: Jennings
RS: Ginn

KR: Ginn / Scott / Walker
PR: Ginn / Williams / Adams

Love the Marecic pick we need to get back to having a FB like that.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
the problem with Orton is this....
first, Troy isnt under contract and thus, hard to trade (you know, impossible)
Orton is guaranteed 5.5 mil from the Broncos this year, making a release VERY unlikely. They'll either get what they can for him in a trade, or just keep him as simply throwing the reigns to Tebow without a good backup is a giant risk this early on. so i dont see Denver trading orton and getting nothing in return this year (you suggest a 2012 3rd)

I should have mentioned that the FA players listed in the depth chart were retained. Didn't feel like typing out all the cuts and releases. I also have no idea on length of contracts that would be offered as well as salary. I think it would be risky for Denver as well, but I think one of the first things the new Head Coach will do there is cut out the pieces old drama. If they can get another veteran I think they would be quick to get Orton out just to eliminate drama. I would only retain T. Smith to use for trading purposes. A full QB overhaul is needed in SF.
I love the Prince pick, but I don't know if we'll even have an opportunity to take him.

Also love the Matthews and Reed picks. I actually have them in my mock that I'm setting up as well
Overall pretty solid. Like jo jo said the trade most likely isn't gonna happen with Troy smith involved. Not the biggest Devlin fan but you can insert a few different qb's in that spot. Though I like Casey Matthews I'm just not sure the team needs to draft 3 ILBer's in a row especially with Spikes playing as well as he is. I would use that 3rd rounder on the best pass rusher or safety available. I like your free agent moves also.
Not bad overall. Again like people said. You can't trade Troy Smith. He is a FA after the season. Also no one would trade for Clements with that contract
Pretty good stab at it but I'd change a few things.

Like your pick in the 1st

Would go with a pass rushing OLB or DE in the 2nd.

Then a project qb in the 3rd. After Locker and Mallet, I don't see much difference in the rest of the qb's coming out. All will take at least a year if not 2 to develope.

Going for D in the first 2 rounds could help turn this D into a top tier unit that could keep us in more low scoring games.
Lukewarm on the Mathews pick, but I really like the rest... good job.
Strong post. I am all about getting Colledge from GB. Good lineman. I live Devlin also, watched him play and thought this kid will be good. I dont know if he goes in the 2, but good job.

Couple of things:

Like the free agent pickups except for Alex Barron. Uh, hell no. He is a turnstile and not worth even a tryout.

Like the position picks and the UDFA's Miller and Taua. Still think the Niners could use a WR a little bit higher than the 5th round.

Nice work.

2011 Draft:

1) CB: Prince Amukamara NEB - Prince is a technician. His addition along with Marshall, Mays, and Lainhart would instantly create a young top Defensive backfield. if we really add some vets in the backfield, why should we go for a CB in the 1st-round?

2) QB: Pat Devlin DEL - I think many of the QBs in the first are over-hyped minus Luck. Delvin will be ready to start after a season behind Orton. He is tough, accurate, a strong arm, and is a natural leader. he still a qb from a lower division.

3) ILB: Casey Matthews ORE - I am not totally sold on Bowman. Matthews is very intelligent and is a strong tackler. Let them learn from Spikes for a yr or 2 and should make a nice rotation. and i am not totally sold on the idea to draft an ilb AGAIN that high...we have mckillop and bowman and i think that this defense have waaaaaaaaaaaay too many needs elsewhere.

4) OLB: Brooks Reed ARI - One of 2 sleepers in this draft. He reminds me of Kevin Greene. I think he actually wants to eat QBs. finally, you go for an pass-rusher...

4) FS: Brian Lainhart KENT - My 2nd sleeper this year. The man is a true playmaker. He is always around the ball knocking it loose, blasting the carrier, or taking it back the other direction. ok

5) WR/QB: Tyrod Taylor VT - Hopefully a Randel El No. 2. Would also serve as an emergency or Wildcat QB. wildcat? no, thx...i'd rather go for a REAL WR...either a tall or a very quick one.

5) FB: Owen Marecic STAN - How could you not want this guy on your team? Has an endless motor, a sweet mullet, is the size of a tank, and smart enough to graduate from STANFORD. good idea.

Trade Clements and Haralson for 5th RD picks. do u seriously think that anyone would trade for a CB, who was exposed for several times this season and will be paid about 7 mio next year?

[ Edited by communist on Dec 30, 2010 at 14:20:56 ]
Originally posted by communist:

2011 Draft:

1) CB: Prince Amukamara NEB - Prince is a technician. His addition along with Marshall, Mays, and Lainhart would instantly create a young top Defensive backfield. if we really add some vets in the backfield, why should we go for a CB in the 1st-round?

2) QB: Pat Devlin DEL - I think many of the QBs in the first are over-hyped minus Luck. Delvin will be ready to start after a season behind Orton. He is tough, accurate, a strong arm, and is a natural leader. he still a qb from a lower division.

3) ILB: Casey Matthews ORE - I am not totally sold on Bowman. Matthews is very intelligent and is a strong tackler. Let them learn from Spikes for a yr or 2 and should make a nice rotation. and i am not totally sold on the idea to draft an ilb AGAIN that high...we have mckillop and bowman and i think that this defense have waaaaaaaaaaaay too many needs elsewhere.

4) OLB: Brooks Reed ARI - One of 2 sleepers in this draft. He reminds me of Kevin Greene. I think he actually wants to eat QBs. finally, you go for an pass-rusher...

4) FS: Brian Lainhart KENT - My 2nd sleeper this year. The man is a true playmaker. He is always around the ball knocking it loose, blasting the carrier, or taking it back the other direction. ok

5) WR/QB: Tyrod Taylor VT - Hopefully a Randel El No. 2. Would also serve as an emergency or Wildcat QB. wildcat? no, thx...i'd rather go for a REAL WR...either a tall or a very quick one.

5) FB: Owen Marecic STAN - How could you not want this guy on your team? Has an endless motor, a sweet mullet, is the size of a tank, and smart enough to graduate from STANFORD. good idea.

Trade Clements and Haralson for 5th RD picks. do u seriously think that anyone would trade for a CB, who was exposed for several times this season and will be paid about 7 mio next year?

I went for Matthews early because second to the NT position ILB is the centerpiece of a 3-4 D. Spikes has maybe 2 years left of high level play so the 2 youngsters can learn from him and will make for a great rotation as soon as Spikes leaves. Good depth is a must. I like Mckillop, but Kristic is barely average. Taylor serves many purposes. I'm not saying they instill the wildcat, just use him in some creative plays every once and a while. He is quite fast and he can be an emergency QB so the 3rd QB doesn't need to take up a roster spot to ride the pine all the time. Carr is a wasted roster spot along with 90% of the NFLs 3rd string QBs. I think the pass rush isn't as bad as everybody thinks. I think all the positions feed off each other. When the DBs are bad the QB gets rid of the ball faster = less time for a sack. Clements is a bit of a loaded situation. If he restructured they could keep him or send him to FS which he has repeatedly said he wont. If he doesn't cut him and pay him for nothing. I have no idea what will happen. I would love for him to just restructure and then be sent somewhere. I love his physical play, but he make rookie mistakes way too often and at the end of the day he plays for himself not the team.
I really like the mock....if Prince or Patterson laughably fall....we have to take them, IMO....but we HAVE to take a QB....maybe trade back into the first, or Devlin in the 2nd. I love the Stanford Mullet Man.

Solid mock there dude
Share 49ersWebzone