There are 289 users in the forums

Great Blue North 2 round mock draft

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dj43:
This is where trading down into the middle or late in the 1st round would be the best bet IMO. For one, no way is Jake Locker worth a Top 10 pick, and what's with Nick Foles in the 1st round again??

That's if you feel that you MUST draft a QB in the first round. I agree a QB is a must area but so is CB and DE/pass rusher.

There are only so many impact players in any draft, usually that number is between 8 and 12. Therefore, it would make little sense for a team with three high need areas to trade out of a chance to fill one of the other two high need areas to get a QB later in the round who is not as likely to be an impact player as a CB or DE.

OK after looking at the Mock Draft again, I changed my mind, I'd stay where we are and take either J. Blackmon or AJ Green. I'm just not that high on Amukamara as some are on here, or CB for that matter unless his name is Patrick Peterson.

And no, Locker is not worth a top 10 pick.

I agree the 49ers need a true #1 wideout but why would you take a WR instead of a pass rusher at #7?

There are only so many stud pass rushers and they have a greater overall influence on the game, IMO.

I feel with a new offense, QB and HC on the horizon it would be a much wiser decision to complement the offense. And right now, Crabtree isn't scaring anyone and our #2 has been invisible and doesn't seem to take any pressure off Crabtree. Besides no pass-rushers jump out at me, besides Von Miller, but he seems like a late 1st round pick IMO.
you got me wrong...for me, even a 3-4 DE is sth like a pass-rusher. we need a guy, who can rush from LDE either...soap is way too much of a run defender. i wanna have more a mix-DE, whom you dont know what he could do to you on every play.
the next problem is that we are or will be in a need for a d-liner in 2012, at latest...but i dont wanna have another crabtree!!! we can get a good WR in the later rounds, imo.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:
you got me wrong...for me, even a 3-4 DE is sth like a pass-rusher. we need a guy, who can rush from LDE either...soap is way too much of a run defender. i wanna have more a mix-DE, whom you dont know what he could do to you on every play.
the next problem is that we are or will be in a need for a d-liner in 2012, at latest...but i dont wanna have another crabtree!!! we can get a good WR in the later rounds, imo.

What 3-4 rush LB would you take with the #7 overall pick???

no one b/c of vernon gholston
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I must've overlooked this, but I thought Clayborn was a top 5 pick, I didn't know we past him up in this draft. With that said, my pick would be Clayborn.
I know drafting another WR early doesn't sound ideal, but it could be a smart move for us. Our defense is pretty good. They're not a great unit because the secondary is a liability and our pass rush is just average, but still, the defense isn't really our problem. Our offense is our glaring weakness.

Until our offense starts putting up points we're not going to be competitive. Having a guy like A.J. Green on the outside would really give our QB (whoever that is) an elite group of WRs. I like Josh Morgan, but he's a career backup, not a #2 option. Likewise, Crabtree is more of a possession WR, not a deep threat and would be better utilized as a #2. If a QB can't move the ball with Green, Crabtree and Vernon on the field, he shouldn't be in the NFL. Also, that group will just open up the running game for Gore.

This is a really deep group along the DL, but those guys aren't likely to have a significant impact on the team's overall success.

That being said, I still think we draft Ryan Mallett.

I must've overlooked this, but I thought Clayborn was a top 5 pick, I didn't know we past him up in this draft. With that said, my pick would be Clayborn.
could clayborn play at olb?
Originally posted by strickac:
I know drafting another WR early doesn't sound ideal, but it could be a smart move for us. Our defense is pretty good. They're not a great unit because the secondary is a liability and our pass rush is just average, but still, the defense isn't really our problem. Our offense is our glaring weakness.
you contradict yourself here...you say that our pass-rush is just avg (at best, imo) and that our 2ndary is a liability.
1.dont u see a connection between these two parts?
2.dont u think that a good defense has at least a good pass-rush...and that a great defense has both of them, namely a good pass-rush and a good 2ndary?
3.b/c our offense sucks so much, most of the people think that our defense is solid-good. if our offense would play solid, everyone would see how bad our defense really is...

Quote:
Until our offense starts putting up points we're not going to be competitive. Having a guy like A.J. Green on the outside would really give our QB (whoever that is) an elite group of WRs. I like Josh Morgan, but he's a career backup, not a #2 option. Likewise, Crabtree is more of a possession WR, not a deep threat and would be better utilized as a #2. If a QB can't move the ball with Green, Crabtree and Vernon on the field, he shouldn't be in the NFL. Also, that group will just open up the running game for Gore.
thats the next issue...not our wr-coprs is the big problem but the QB. yes, we need another good WR but i dont spend a first-rounder on a luxury pick.
Quote:
This is a really deep group along the DL, but those guys aren't likely to have a significant impact on the team's overall success.

indeed they do...it's like the o-line...if your o-line sucks bad, you wont create any big play. if your d-line sucks, especially in terms of pressure on the opp QB, you wont stop passing plays in the long-run b/c even a peterson wont break up passes everytime.
Quote:
no no no, god no.
[ Edited by communist on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM ]

could clayborn play at olb?
Originally posted by strickac:
you contradict yourself here...you say that our pass-rush is just avg (at best, imo) and that our 2ndary is a liability.
1.dont u see a connection between these two parts?
2.dont u think that a good defense has at least a good pass-rush...and that a great defense has both of them, namely a good pass-rush and a good 2ndary?
3.b/c our offense sucks so much, most of the people think that our defense is solid-good. if our offense would play solid, everyone would see how bad our defense really is...

Quote:
thats the next issue...not our wr-coprs is the big problem but the QB. yes, we need another good WR but i dont spend a first-rounder on a luxury pick.
Quote:

indeed they do...it's like the o-line...if your o-line sucks bad, you wont create any big play. if your d-line sucks, especially in terms of pressure on the opp QB, you wont stop passing plays in the long-run b/c even a peterson wont break up passes everytime.
Quote:
no no no, god no.

Well, I disagree with you about our defense. If our offense could sustain drives, our defense would improve, not become worse. Our pass rush is better than most fans think. Our DBs however, stink. There's a reason Manusky rarely calls man coverage. Don't let the Seattle game fool you either. Hasselbeck was throwing up gifts. It's amazing how much better the defense plays when the offense puts up points and makes the opposing offense play desperate. We usually see it from the other angle.

I'm not opposed to drafting DEs, but if we end up drafting in the top 10, I'd like to see it be Peterson, Green or a QB. Peterson and Green are the best players (at their position) to come out in a while, IMO. QB is just the black hole of this team. I hope we can finally get that fixed. I wouldn't be crushed if we were able to get a player like Fairley either. I just think 3-4 DEs can be found much easier than other positions and we really, really need to unscrew our offense.

BTW, pretty much any position we draft, other than QB (and CB, IMO) could be considered a "luxury pick".
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Jake Locker......Super Bowl!

Jeff Tuel (WSU) is better than Locker.

Pat Delvin from Deleware 3rd round.....Or Ponder in the 2nd from Florida state is good, accurate, it's the most important stat in my mind....we need Quinn, Peterson, Akumararu in the 1st round...
Share 49ersWebzone