LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Time to draft Frank's replacement

Gore's broken hip, and consequent season ending injury should put us all on alert to the fact that our bell cow may be wearing down, and his career could even be in jeopardy. Westbrook is ok for the short term, but it might be time to start thinking who's gonna be our RB down the road. Dixon is very raw, and I dont see him being much more than a goalline back. Anybody want to draft a RB with a high pick this year?
what about mark ingram? definitely not with our first pick though
I agree we need to get a RB to share the load with Gore & eventually take over. I like Mikel Leshoure from Illinois but he probably will go to high in the draft.
I dont think we necessarily have to get a guy in this draft but if we do I love Ryan Williams from Virginia Tech. He kind of reminds me of DeAngelo Williams and he many slip because of some injury concerns.

Having said that I think Gore will be okay for 2 more years and I also think that gives up a chance to really see more from Dixon. I think he can be a starter in this league if we had a good third down back behind him. Maybe DeMarco Murray in the 3rd could be that guy.
I say we stick with the current trio for 1 more year - too many other areas to target. CB, LB, QB spring to mind - but IF someone there after those areas addressed, then maybe.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We already have his replacement on the team, Anthony Dixon.
LaMichael James for Oregon please.
Shane Vereen Round 2 or 3?
Sadly we can't ignore RB any longer. We can't just say "we don't need that position." The way people have for years and years on the WZ. Frank Gore has a major injury history in both college and pros. And he has taken one heck of a pounding over the years. A hip fracture no matter how minor they want to call it is not a little matter. It's serious and guys don't always recover from that comepletely.

Face it we are in complete rebuild mode...

~ QB
~ RB
~ O Line
~ D Line
~ Pass Rush
~ Secondary
~ HC
~ Coordinators

That's what we need. We are NOT CLOSE...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Sadly we can't ignore RB any longer. We can't just say "we don't need that position." The way people have for years and years on the WZ. Frank Gore has a major injury history in both college and pros. And he has taken one heck of a pounding over the years. A hip fracture no matter how minor they want to call it is not a little matter. It's serious and guys don't always recover from that comepletely.

Face it we are in complete rebuild mode...

~ QB
~ RB
~ O Line
~ D Line
~ Pass Rush
~ Secondary
~ HC
~ Coordinators

That's what we need. We are NOT CLOSE...

QB - agree, we have to address in the draft as FA sucks this year.

RB - agree, but Westbrook will likely have to move on, we won't carry 4 RB's into 2011. Would like a R2 or R3 guy here.

OL will be fine, they need time to gel and better coaching. Still a very young line that will come good.

DL agree, we need another NT and/or DE on the team for rotation

Pass Rush - Think we can get something decent in FA here.

Secondary - My current thinking is a CB in R1 or R2 with a Safety taken in the draft as well.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
  • ZRF80
Dixon is a good player....

Extend Westbrook......keep Gore.........give Dixon the ball on short yardage plays.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
what about that small dude from pitt?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
LaMichael James for Oregon please.

and second Daniel Thomas from Kansas but James would add some new dimensions to the offense.
Share 49ersWebzone