3.lions-no
4.bills-maybe
5.cardinals-yes
6.49ers-yes
7.browns-no
8.cowboys-no
9.broncos-no
10.vikings-yes
I'm pretty sure Cinci would pick Luck, Palmer probably won't be there after this year.

Bills are a yes. Bills GM Buddy Nix has already been to Stanford to scout Luck.

Dallas is a maybe. Don't put it past Jerry Jones to trade Romo in his attempt to move up to #1 for Andrew Luck or even sitting pretty to take Ryan Mallett.

ya i see fallas going with mallet and sitting him behind romo
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love to get Luck, but Mallett would be a nice consullation prize.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lout of top 10

carolina -yes
buffalo- most likely
49ers -yes
arizona- yes
cleveland- no
lions- no
redskins- yes

these are the teams in running for the top 5 pick aout of these teams all of tehm are gonna need a qb exceot cleveland and the lions so unless we get the number 1 pick which is see going to carolina maybe buffalo we arent going to get andrew luck

srry folks just being a little realistic here

I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina stuck with Clausen and traded back. They could set themselves up for a killer draft that way, and if they believe in Clausen that's probably the fastest way to turn things around. It would be a crazy bidding war, which could be real interesting.

Don't they HAVE to trade back? They didn't have a 1st rounder last year, no 2nd rounder this year, no #1 in 2009, no #2 in 2008.

They've traded up so much and missed that they now need to trade bak to recoup.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 9ersvideos:
As of right now
1.panthers-depends on claussen,maybe
2.bengals-no
3.lions-no
4.bills-maybe
5.cardinals-yes
6.49ers-yes
7.browns-no
8.cowboys-no
9.broncos-no
10.vikings-yes
I'm pretty sure Cinci would pick Luck, Palmer probably won't be there after this year.

Bills are a yes. Bills GM Buddy Nix has already been to Stanford to scout Luck.

Dallas is a maybe. Don't put it past Jerry Jones to trade Romo in his attempt to move up to #1 for Andrew Luck or even sitting pretty to take Ryan Mallett.

ya i see fallas going with mallet and sitting him behind romo

The biggest prob in Dallas is the O-line -- clearly. Since there isnt much at the top of the draft, expect them to trade back to take a LT and a Guard.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Why did Steve Johnson have to drop that pass...

Why did John Kasay miss that field goal?!?

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 29, 2010 at 08:08:40 ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Locker > Mallett
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Why did Steve Johnson have to drop that pass...

Why did John Kasay miss that field goal?!?

Both of those plays would have helped a lot
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How do you know he is coming pro? He's a sophmore on eligibility.
Originally posted by redrathman:

nick makes 3 good points on why luck would go pro.

Originally posted by nickbradley:

1. The way he's talked about it in interviews

2. The fact that Jake Locker lost $50 million dollars by staying in college

3. Jim Harbaugh is probably gone.

i would also add that with a potential rookie cap, many college players (who would normally stay in college) will most likely hit the draft this year-luck would be wise to come out.

[ Edited by 76Razor on Nov 29, 2010 at 09:44:57 ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
We don't have any chance of getting that guy at all. We already won too many games. And he may not even come out.

He's probably coming out, and there is such a thing as a trade-up.

1) The team having the #1 pick may not want to trade down. They may want to keep him.

2) If they are open to trades you will be competing against 4 or 5 other teams that "must get him."

The ransom will be real high.

We aren't getting him period. Dream on.

Most teams in the top 10 already have young quarterbacks, so the price for us to trade up is much cheaper.

Like who? Show me. Which are the Peyton Manning / Phillip Rivers / Drew Brees types picking in the top ten?

Carolina - Clausen, lol
Cincinnati - Palmer, maybe they want to start from scratch though
Detroit - Stafford, definitely would not pick Luck
Buffalo - Fitzpatrick, thinking they pass on Luck for him is wishful thinking imo
Arizona - needs a qb
San Francisco - needs a qb
Cleveland - is McCoy a franchise qb?
Dallas (tie) - Romo, they have other needs to address
Minnesota (tie) - Do they give T.Jackson the reigns?
Denver (tie) - Lord Tebow

There is tons of teams in there looking for QB's. And Cleveland and Minnesota don't pass on a QB.

Why would Cleveland not ride out McCoy???

Sure buddy. They would rather have Colt McCoy if they get a shot at Andrew Luck.

McCoy's rookie QB rating is 85.3 and as a starter he's notched consecutive wins against the Saints and Patriots. Would they really throw him totally under the bus for Luck? Keep in mind they'd be passing on basically the top player at any other position in the draft in order to saddle themselves with an enormous QB controversy.

Yes they would take him. They took McCoy at a place in the draft where they were comfortable taking him. But they wouldn't pass on a franchise guy like Luck.

If I was the Browns I'd take AJ Green and give McCoy a real weapon to go along with a good offensive line and Peyton Hillis / Montario Hardesty. But that's just me...

Fact is though teams pass on franchise QBs all the time.

The Rams, Chiefs, and Seahawks all passed on Mark Sanchez despite all three having a need at QB.

St Louis and Miami both passed on Matt Ryan when their QBs were Bulger and Pennington.

23 teams passed on Aaron Rodgers who was considered a possible #1 pick, including Oakland taking Fabian Washington and the Jags taking a QB converted to WR, Matt Jones.

Three clear examples of the last 5 or so years in which 'franchise' QBs were overlooked repeatedly by teams with a QB need.

All of the QB's you mentioned above were not as promising as ANDREW LUCK. This my friend is indeed a lottery pick.

The standings as of Monday afternoon and my guess on the probability they draft a QB.

1. Carolina Panthers - They very well could take a QB here. They're going to have a new head coach next year and it's all going to depend on what that coach thinks of Clausen. They could go for a stud WR like AJ Green, or a DT (don't really know if there's a stud available here or not). 70% probability.

2. Buffalo Bills- They've come close to beating some very good teams recently and I could see them winning a few more games and getting themselves farther down this list. Depending on how Fitzpatrick plays the rest of the year they could very well pass on Luck if available considering they have . They could really use a D-lineman for their 3-4 defense, a stud WR, an OT, and a pass-rushing OLB as well. 50% probability

3. Cincinnati Bengals - I think they take Luck here if he's available. I could see them taking Mallet here if he's not. Palmer's QB rating has dropped every single year (if you take out his injury plagued 2008). 90% probability

4. Detroit Lions- Matthew Stafford. 0% probability

5. Dallas Cowboys- Tony Romo. Plus I think they win a few more games and drop down this list a bit. 0% probability

6. Denver Broncos- People seriously underrate Kyle Orton. If they let him go and draft a QB we should jump all over him. 10% probability

7. Arizona Cardinals- If Luck is available they will take him. If Mallett is available they will probably take him as well. 95% probability

8. San Francisco 49ers

9. Cleveland Browns- Holmgrem doesn't seem like the type to draft a QB in the top 10. I see a little Hasselbeck in him. Plus the Browns will win too many games. 10% probability

10. Minnesota Vikings- Will win too many games to get Luck. They should take a QB here because their team will go as far as the QB takes them but I thought they should've taken one the last two years. Common sense says take a QB but will they? 85% probability

With the Panthers, Bills, and Bengals ahead of us, the chance of getting Luck in our current position is close to nil. The Cardinals could end up with a record worse than us as well if they continue their free-fall.

Our only hope for getting Luck is that the Panthers stick with Clausen (they did really like him on draft day) and the Bills stick to Fitzpatrick and the Bengals and Cards end up with better records than us.

So basically, root for us to either lose out or hope that Troy Smith sets the world on fire.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
The standings as of Monday afternoon and my guess on the probability they draft a QB.

1. Carolina Panthers - They very well could take a QB here. They're going to have a new head coach next year and it's all going to depend on what that coach thinks of Clausen. They could go for a stud WR like AJ Green, or a DT (don't really know if there's a stud available here or not). 70% probability.

2. Buffalo Bills- They've come close to beating some very good teams recently and I could see them winning a few more games and getting themselves farther down this list. Depending on how Fitzpatrick plays the rest of the year they could very well pass on Luck if available considering they have . They could really use a D-lineman for their 3-4 defense, a stud WR, an OT, and a pass-rushing OLB as well. 50% probability

3. Cincinnati Bengals - I think they take Luck here if he's available. I could see them taking Mallet here if he's not. Palmer's QB rating has dropped every single year (if you take out his injury plagued 2008). 90% probability

5. Dallas Cowboys- Tony Romo. Plus I think they win a few more games and drop down this list a bit. 0% probability

6. Denver Broncos- People seriously underrate Kyle Orton. If they let him go and draft a QB we should jump all over him. 10% probability

7. Arizona Cardinals- If Luck is available they will take him. If Mallett is available they will probably take him as well. 95% probability

8. San Francisco 49ers

9. Cleveland Browns- Holmgrem doesn't seem like the type to draft a QB in the top 10. I see a little Hasselbeck in him. Plus the Browns will win too many games. 10% probability

10. Minnesota Vikings- Will win too many games to get Luck. They should take a QB here because their team will go as far as the QB takes them but I thought they should've taken one the last two years. Common sense says take a QB but will they? 85% probability

With the Panthers, Bills, and Bengals ahead of us, the chance of getting Luck in our current position is close to nil. The Cardinals could end up with a record worse than us as well if they continue their free-fall.

Our only hope for getting Luck is that the Panthers stick with Clausen (they did really like him on draft day) and the Bills stick to Fitzpatrick and the Bengals and Cards end up with better records than us.

So basically, root for us to either lose out or hope that Troy Smith sets the world on fire.

Carolina may depend on who is their coach next year. If its Bill Cowher, I don't see him investing that much in a quarterback -- Big Ben was more of a target of opportunity when he was drafted. Carolina may very well trade down and re-stock. They could get a great deal with a player like Luck at #1.

I think you're very wrong on Palmer. His QB Rating in 09 was about the same as it was in 07 -- in the mid-80s. This year, the Bengals are leading the NFL in dropped passes (and dropped passes for INTs). You put those numbers at league-wide averages, and his QB rating this year is again in the mid-80s. It still might be an 80+ passer rating year for him. Carson Palmer is a career 80 - 90 QB rating passer rating guy, with the occasional great year at 95 and a bad year at 75. The odds that you get better than that taking Luck #1 aren't very good (looking at the bust probability). So Cincy goes with a stud Defensive Lineman.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

8. San Francisco 49ers

I also took a look at the Bengals fan boards, and nobody really thinks Palmer will be gone next year. Two reasons: (1) he's still a mid-80s QB rating QB, and (2) the cheap-skate owners will NEVER pay out his contract after he is cut.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Locker > Mallett

I'm assuming Locker will be gone when we pick.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by okdkid:
This is good. But you can remove Denver (Tebow, Orton) and Detroit (Stafford) from this list. Even if they had the #1 overall they wouldn't take Luck.

I could, but they could trade the pick. Would you be shocked if a team like Seattle or Tennessee traded away a ton in order to get luck?

______

A trade is always possible, you're right. But yes, I would be shocked.

Luck would be the most undisputed #1 prospect in the last decade. So it would take a whole lot more than what the draft value chart says to get him. That would likely mean 2 firsts, a second and a player. Too much for a mediocre/poor team like the Seahawks or Titans. They, like us, have needs almost everywhere.

Michael Vick and Reggie Bush were way more coveted in December than Luck is. Bush didn't even end up going 1st. Anything can happen, Luck can have a terrible workout or an interview or an injury and may not even go no.1 overall if he declares.

Also, there are several really good players in the top 10. Couple of DBs, there are at least 3-4 Defensive linemen that could go in top 10 and all of them are very very impressive. At least 1 other QB, and a top wide-out.

There are no guarantees that Luck will even go 1st at this point even if he declares. He is no Manning or Elway...at least not in his soph year.
Share 49ersWebzone