LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Which position should the 49ers use a 1st round pick on this year?

I'm thinking CB should be the 49ers top priorety in the 2011 NFL Draft. Players such as LSU's Patrick Peterson or Nebraska's Prince Amukamara come to mind. We need to rebuild our secondary. In my opinion, I don't think Nate Clements will be back next season, unless he is willing to take a pay cut. Either way, we need to look for his replacement.
I want Peterson, Luck, or Bowers in the 1st. Either of those guys would really help us. We probably don't have a shot at Luck though.
my top guys for these Positions of need;

CB:

Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamara
Ras-I Dowling
Brandon Harris
Brandon Burton
Janoris Jenkins
Aaron Williams

QB:

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Ricky Stanzi
Pat Devlin

Pass Rusher:

Adrian Clayborn
Marcel Dareus
Marvin Austin
Robert Quinn
Jeremy Beal
Von Miller
Ryan Kerrigan

There might be more, but those are my favs off the top of my head.

[ Edited by AB83Rules on Nov 27, 2010 at 19:56:20 ]
  • fip24
  • Veteran
I think that the Niners have been stuck in "fill a need mode" for years. This team needs help all over and should be going best player available in every round. Aside from TE, I would be happy with an upgrade at any position.
CB is a must

im hoping gor peterson, prince or jenkins from florada

out of those 3 peterson and jenkins have the shut down potential and both play grat against pass and run
Originally posted by fip24:
I think that the Niners have been stuck in "fill a need mode" for years. This team needs help all over and should be going best player available in every round. Aside from TE, I would be happy with an upgrade at any position.
yeah right...so crabtree filled a BIG/the biggest need, right? drafting oher over crabtree wouldn't have made more sense in terms of needs?
if you are a losing team, you can't afford to go BPA...you just can't. i would prefer to trade down as long we are NOT talking about an eric berry kind of a guy (immediate help/starter).

[ Edited by communist on Nov 27, 2010 at 22:41:07 ]

I don't agree. We have two outstanding needs, cb and qb. We ignore these at our peril. We also appear to have an ongoing need for passrush. Once these are resolved, one way or another, we can switch to BPA.
I would narrow it down to these guys (weeding through AB's list) but it depends if we go back to the 4-3 and where we pick.

CB:
Worth top 10
Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamara

More like top 15-20 (maybe pick if we win more games or trade back up into 1st)
Ras-I Dowling
Brandon Harris
Janoris Jenkins

QB:
Andrew Luck - Would take if he fell to us
Mallett, Locker, Stanzi, Foles, would think about if they dropped to 2nd round

Pass Rusher:
DaQuan Bowers - potential boom or bust, might think about it depends on who is left
Adrian Clayborn - would take mid round but not first choice
Marcel Dareus - would think about taking but not first choice
Marvin Austin - big ? mark, maybe early 2nd
Robert Quinn - would take a risk with first pick
Jeremy Beal - maybe if we trade back into 1st or draft early 2nd
Von Miller - not sure about him, could be Dumervil type could end up being nothing... might have to bulk up
Ryan Kerrigan, would draft if we go to 4-3 in mid 1st round depending on who else is around

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 28, 2010 at 02:23:43 ]
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
yeah right...so crabtree filled a BIG/the biggest need, right? drafting oher over crabtree wouldn't have made more sense in terms of needs?
if you are a losing team, you can't afford to go BPA...you just can't. i would prefer to trade down as long we are NOT talking about an eric berry kind of a guy (immediate help/starter).

The exact logic that has had made the Niners pointless. Your telling me that bad teams need to draft inferior players that fill needs? What is the objective? A decade of 8-8 records. If your logic holds, we should be trying to trade Willis, Gore and Vernon for a group of average starters.

The exact logic that has had made the Niners pointless. Your telling me that bad teams need to draft inferior players that fill needs? What is the objective? A decade of 8-8 records. If your logic holds, we should be trying to trade Willis, Gore and Vernon for a group of average starters.
gore wasn't a first-rounder and usually u don't pick a TE in the top10 and vernon was considered as a bust before his breakout-season. and i wouldn't never ever pick an ILB that high unless he seems to be a really rare talent.
QB is the most important position in football, then the o-line, especially the blind side protection and the pass-rush, which begins at the d-line.

look at the lions, who picked pettingrew (nice weapon) over oher...stafford ran for his life.

Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm thinking CB should be the 49ers top priorety in the 2011 NFL Draft. Players such as LSU's Patrick Peterson or Nebraska's Prince Amukamara come to mind. We need to rebuild our secondary. In my opinion, I don't think Nate Clements will be back next season, unless he is willing to take a pay cut. Either way, we need to look for his replacement.

QB trumps all other positions. We do fairly well vs. #1 WRs, but get shredded by the #2 and #3, statistically. So take a CB in the 2nd round.

And the pass rush complaints are overblown. According to footballoutsiders, we are 9th in the NFL in pass rush, adjusted for opponents and the situation.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

QB trumps all other positions. We do fairly well vs. #1 WRs, but get shredded by the #2 and #3, statistically. So take a CB in the 2nd round.

And the pass rush complaints are overblown. According to footballoutsiders, we are 9th in the NFL in pass rush, adjusted for opponents and the situation.
i dont care about some stats from some homepages...look at our pass-rush with your own eyes und you will see that we need a natural pass-rusher badly. neither lawson, nor haralson can fill that hole...justin smith is the ONLY dependable rusher...it's too few imo.
i wouldnt take an olb with our 1st-round pick IF we pick in the top10 or in the top5...but we need one.
Originally posted by communist:

i dont care about some stats from some homepages...look at our pass-rush with your own eyes und you will see that we need a natural pass-rusher badly. neither lawson, nor haralson can fill that hole...justin smith is the ONLY dependable rusher...it's too few imo.
i wouldnt take an olb with our 1st-round pick IF we pick in the top10 or in the top5...but we need one.

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.
you need serious pressure...if i see a matt moore standing in the pocket and having all time in the world, then i think that our pass-rush is not that good. it's not only about sAcks, we don't even hurry the QBs that often.

[ Edited by communist on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:31:20 ]
QB
Share 49ersWebzone