LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Most likely they'll franchise Vick and keep Kolb for another season.
Silly, though, ain't it? What've we got for our first 1st-round and 3rd round draft picks? A guy it seems a good deal of people are willing to cast off as a bust after half a season and one big Dix that is almost seen as little as some guy called Westbrook. Yeah, a first and third is WAAAY too steep... I just don't get the logic... Mind you, most other teams not called the 49ers and Lions often hit on their draft picks, but still...

Pay the man!!!
Sign a Vet QB yes.

Draft a QB - maybe.

If we are going to expend our # 1 (which I expect will be in the top 10 again), his scouting report better read "Accurate passer with a strong enough arm to make all the NFL throws, started 2 (minimum) years in an NFL style offense in a top flight college conference."

Otherwise, we will just waste another year of Gore, VD, PW, Justin Smith, etc.
Absolutely...no telling if Alex will be with the team next year. If Troy stays the starter, Alex could well go elsewhere. Carr's probably a goner, but that'll somewhat depend on who's coaching next season.
If Troy plays the remaining schedule at a very high level, we would still need a good #2 QB, as I'm sure Alex will go elsewhere. So yes, adding a QB must be a priority in the offseason.

If Troy suddenly gets figured out and sucks, regardless of how Alex does when he comes back in, yes, adding a QB must be a priority in the offseason.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't think Troy will pull a Tom Brady so yes, draft a Qb to be the future signal caller. I'd bring back Troy to run the team for one year while the rook learns from the sideline.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 06:51:12 ]
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
As an armchair GM, I say we Trade our first and 3rd for Kolb ( I live in Philly and hear that will be the price ) and Keep Troy and Davis. We dump Alex ( maybe try to keep the third and give Philly Alex for a back up ) and Carr. Then we spend the Second rounder on best corner available.

One and a three for Kolb? Damn dude be careful you'll get crucified around here for bringing that up. I put up a poll about a month ago asking whether anyone would trade a first rounder for Kolb and I nearly got ran off the board, lol. I think the Niners should have traded for Kolb before the trading deadline when the iron was hot and his value wasn't as big as it is now, but that just my opinion. We'd be lucky to get Kolb for a first and a third after the season.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=145997&highlight=obx49

He wasnt available before or at deadline, with Vick being banged up. The news around here says that only one will be back next year. With Vick playing the way he is most are thinking Kolb will be gone for pics...Comcast says likely scenario is a 1st and a 3rd. I have seen the kid play and he is the real deal, accurate as hell, strong leader, a team guy. He is a franchise passer waiting to happen.
Much depends on whether Nate is developing as he should. Two games is a little early to tell, but Troy looks like Vick Jr and may actually turn out to be that franchise QB we've been looking for all these years. If so, and Nate is also improving, we should not spend a high draft choice on a QB. Either sign a proven vet as insurance, or draft one in the lower rounds who we deem a "sleeper" and give him time to develop. One thing's for sure, we don't need Alex, at a high salary, to ride the bench. Time for him to move on. Perhaps he can get a fresh start with another team and still salvage his career. Just not here.
This should really be asked after a few more games. We have some tough road games coming up and I would like to see how Troy performs away before we decide if he is the reaal deal.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Sign a Vet QB yes.
I agree with the logic of that but half the QBs starting in the league are no better than Alex Smith. Those sitting in backup roles are worse. I don't think Alex will agree to come back here but if he did, he would likely be better than any FA that would agree to come here. I also see no way to work a trade with Alex since he will be a UFA after this season.

Quote:
Draft a QB - maybe.

If we are going to expend our # 1 (which I expect will be in the top 10 again), his scouting report better read "Accurate passer with a strong enough arm to make all the NFL throws, started 2 (minimum) years in an NFL style offense in a top flight college conference."
That sounds good but as we have just observed with Sam Bradford, you can draft a guy who runs a spread offense and put him with a QUALITY OC and QB coach like Pat Shurmur and he does fine.

A kid doesn't have to come from a pro-style offense to succeed but he ABSOLUTELY MUST have a QB-friendly environment in order to develop. We saw on Sunday how Shurmur almost always had Bradford in short, safe drops with 3 options to throw to. The system was very well thought out in a way that made it easy for Bradford to succeed.

I believe we draft a QB but whoever is coach next year should follow the script Shurmur used with Bradford.

absolutely....probably second round, christian ponder possibly
If Troy Smith continues to produce don't draft a high pick and sign Garcia as our backup! He can groom both Davis and Troy but Alex must go he just creates turmoil sticking around and will get a shot somewhere else I feel.
Watching the chronicle last night and they were talking nonsense as usual but what did sound interesting was that depending on who has the 1st pick in the draft (Buffalo) that Luck will not come out and stay for his senior year.
it depends
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

A kid doesn't have to come from a pro-style offense to succeed but he ABSOLUTELY MUST have a QB-friendly environment in order to develop. We saw on Sunday how Shurmur almost always had Bradford in short, safe drops with 3 options to throw to. The system was very well thought out in a way that made it easy for Bradford to succeed.

I believe we draft a QB but whoever is coach next year should follow the script Shurmur used with Bradford.

Agree completely. We must have a staff in place that can develop a young QB. Whether he's a top 10 pick or a third rounder, you have to have the coaching staff and system in place to develop him. Alex Smith may or may not have become a quality QB if he had been handled right in a good system; we'll never know. But I know this for sure: Mike Nolan totally ruined whatever chance he had.

No more defensive Head Coaches. Bring in a quality guy with his own offensive system and experience developing QB's. I like Jim Harbaugh, Gruden, and Holmgren.
Share 49ersWebzone