There are 173 users in the forums

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mallett is garbage. He's like a bigger, goofier version of Druckenmiller. Bad accuracy, horrible footwork, and could you imagine this guy trying to survive in the pocket, playing for the 49ers, with Anthony Davis and Chilo Rachal blocking for him? Nowadays, mobility is an absolute must for a QB, look at the difference that Troy Smith has made in the lineup compared to Carr or even Alex Smith. With the mobility of guys like Luck, Locker and a few others, not sure why Mallett would be considered.

The only way this guy is succeeding is if the team has a top-notch, top of the league OL in place and the long distance weapons to allow him to maximize the use of his arm. It seems that every year there is "one guy" that everyone falls in love with due to his cannon arm and more often than not, that "one guy" turns out to be a huge bust.

I'd rather go with Foles of Arizona who is a similar sized player but with far better accuracy overall.
your post hadnt been that bad until you mentioned foles...but i give you one more chance. in which round should we pick foles?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by titan:
Definitely still on the wagon. 6 TD and sat down the entire 4th qtr. Showed good movement and escape ability and of course the arm strength.

Yup. Although I didn't watch the second half, he did look like a franchise QB out there.

And check Mallet out with his 14 yard TD run.

Like I said, people talk like hes got two feet stuck in the ground, but the boy can move.

Wasn't that against UTEP?

Yes it was, but moving in and out of the pocket and showing elusiveness is still QB play in its own. All in all its still defenders trying to take your head off and shouldn't matter how weak or strong your opponent is.

The quality of the team you play is very important in evaluating a player. I have nothing against Mallett, but to say he is great because he had a good game against UTEP is a bit ridiculous. Getting chased around by some below average UTEP defenders is nothing like running away from future NFL starters like Marcell Dareus or Dont'a Hightower.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Mallett is garbage. He's like a bigger, goofier version of Druckenmiller. Bad accuracy, horrible footwork, and could you imagine this guy trying to survive in the pocket, playing for the 49ers, with Anthony Davis and Chilo Rachal blocking for him? Nowadays, mobility is an absolute must for a QB, look at the difference that Troy Smith has made in the lineup compared to Carr or even Alex Smith. With the mobility of guys like Luck, Locker and a few others, not sure why Mallett would be considered.

The only way this guy is succeeding is if the team has a top-notch, top of the league OL in place and the long distance weapons to allow him to maximize the use of his arm. It seems that every year there is "one guy" that everyone falls in love with due to his cannon arm and more often than not, that "one guy" turns out to be a huge bust.

I'd rather go with Foles of Arizona who is a similar sized player but with far better accuracy overall.

Once again someone is popping of at the mouth with homer favorites and can't be open minded. If Mallet is sacked 15 times the same as Foles how do you determine Mallet has a super OLINE? If the Hogs are 66th in rushing and and Arizona is 69th I still can't determine the super OLINE? Maybe it's accuracy percentage,but Mallet threw 40 times more,but has over 700 more yards and double the TD? You also say mobility is a must and gave Troy Smith as an example! No offense to Smith and I hope he keeps the job, but I think Pocket presence is a must and mobility is a bonus.This is an eample of QB's with very low mobility and top pocket presence Manning,Rivers,Brady, Flaco. These QB's hardly leave the pocket and that's the kind I want on my team.

Ryan Mallet TD INT SCK
ARK 315 212 67.3 2967 9.4 85 24 8 15 166.5
Nick Foles
ARIZ 286 203 71.0 2201 7.7 51 13 6 15 146.4
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Definitely still on the wagon. 6 TD and sat down the entire 4th qtr. Showed good movement and escape ability and of course the arm strength.

Yup. Although I didn't watch the second half, he did look like a franchise QB out there.

Like I said, people talk like hes got two feet stuck in the ground, but the boy can move.

Yes it was, but moving in and out of the pocket and showing elusiveness is still QB play in its own. All in all its still defenders trying to take your head off and shouldn't matter how weak or strong your opponent is.

The quality of the team you play is very important in evaluating a player. I have nothing against Mallett, but to say he is great because he had a good game against UTEP is a bit ridiculous. Getting chased around by some below average UTEP defenders is nothing like running away from future NFL starters like Marcell Dareus or Dont'a Hightower.

OK, sure the quality of an opponent matters somewhat, but I doubt scouts put a lot of stock into it. Cause if that's the case every QB in the big ten, big 12, SEC, big east and ACC would go in rounds 1-2.

And no way Joe Flacco, Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Ben Rothelisberger etc etc.. be drafted in the 1st round if they put that much stock into strength of opponents.
  • titan
  • Veteran
^No player from Ivy league,pioneer,and northeast will be allowed in the NFL cause of schedule.Lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^No player from Ivy league,pioneer,and northeast will be allowed in the NFL cause of schedule.Lol

And again this is another case of looking at names of teams or stats without actually watching a player. I mean, its not like Mallet hasn't faced a tough opponent in his college career.
  • titan
  • Veteran

And again this is another case of looking at names of teams or stats without actually watching a player. I mean, its not like Mallet hasn't faced a tough opponent in his college career.

He just had South Carolina last week and they will be playing for SEC title after beating Florida.

He just had South Carolina last week and they will be playing for SEC title after beating Florida.

huh? SEC title is between the East and West leaders. Ark is 4-2 in the West, trailing undefeated Auburn, who will probably face East leader USC in the SEC title game.

EDIT, you mean south carolina is going to be in the game? Ok it was tough to understand

[ Edited by jojomellon on Nov 15, 2010 at 20:43:50 ]
Originally posted by jojomellon:

huh? SEC title is between the East and West leaders. Ark is 4-2 in the West, trailing undefeated Auburn, who will probably face East leader USC in the SEC title game.

EDIT, you mean south carolina is going to be in the game? Ok it was tough to understand

He means he just played well against the team that will be in the SEC title game.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jojomellon:

After beatin Florida! Arkansas does no play Florida this year.

• DVDA
  • Veteran

OK, sure the quality of an opponent matters somewhat, but I doubt scouts put a lot of stock into it. Cause if that's the case every QB in the big ten, big 12, SEC, big east and ACC would go in rounds 1-2.

And no way Joe Flacco, Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Ben Rothelisberger etc etc.. be drafted in the 1st round if they put that much stock into strength of opponents.

You know Tim Tebow threw for four touchdowns against Troy his senior season, should Troy seriously be used to evaluate a player on that Florida Gators team? There is such a talent difference between those two teams that I would not waste time watching them walk over Troy if I were evaluating college players. I feel the same way about Arkansas vs. UTEP. There is too much of a talent difference to evaluate Arkansas players in that game.

If you want to talk him up then say something about him completing 60% or more of his passes in every game except for the Mississippi game or that he has thrown for more than 300 yards in every game except for the Auburn game(hurt), Mississippi game(week after injury), and the UTEP game. Please don't use a dominant performance over crappy UTEP to rub your opinion in the face of all the haters in this thread. I know the only reason most of them hate him is because he's too tall which automatically disqualifies him from being a legitimate quarterback in the NFL. Good for them, ignorance is bliss.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You know Tim Tebow threw for four touchdowns against Troy his senior season, should Troy seriously be used to evaluate a player on that Florida Gators team? There is such a talent difference between those two teams that I would not waste time watching them walk over Troy if I were evaluating college players. I feel the same way about Arkansas vs. UTEP. There is too much of a talent difference to evaluate Arkansas players in that game.

If you want to talk him up then say something about him completing 60% or more of his passes in every game except for the Mississippi game or that he has thrown for more than 300 yards in every game except for the Auburn game(hurt), Mississippi game(week after injury), and the UTEP game. Please don't use a dominant performance over crappy UTEP to rub your opinion in the face of all the haters in this thread. I know the only reason most of them hate him is because he's too tall which automatically disqualifies him from being a legitimate quarterback in the NFL. Good for them, ignorance is bliss.

Here's the thing, I wasn't even referring to his passing or dominance over UTEP as a QB, I was more referring to him being able to move and throw on the run. But there's a good example of you bringing up Tebow vs. Troy, matter of fact ESPN used that very game to evaluate Tebow as a passer, why because it was about his play, ball placement, reads and accuracy. Its not like Tebow and Mallet only play weak opponents week in and week out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:

To think Mallet is garbage then bring up someone like Foles.

And you guys thought Ken Dorsey didn't have an arm??
Originally posted by SF69ers:

To think Mallet is garbage then bring up someone like Foles.

And you guys thought Ken Dorsey didn't have an arm??

Maybe the OP didn't watch Foles against Stanford. He made Stanford look like Alabama's defense.
Share 49ersWebzone