LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

Originally posted by SF69ers:
I know I've been very critical of Ryan Mallett, but after finally watching his episode of QB Camp with Gruden, I came away very impressed. I can care less about the fact that he tries to sound like Eminem. His arm is golden and he's played in a pro style system. He also seemed pretty smart on the board. The only thing I'm really worried about is his maturity level.

Is he my first choice for a QB? No. But I won't be screaming at the television if we somehow get him with our second pick.

agree with this
Admitting drug use to NFL teams is one of the bolder things I have ever of during the draft process. Don't think it was the smartest thing to do, but you can't ignore the tools that Mallett has physically. He is the best fit for the West Coast offense? Probably not. Would the Niners take him anyway? Maybe. In Harbuagh we trust (............until proven different).
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Admitting drug use to NFL teams is one of the bolder things I have ever of during the draft process. Don't think it was the smartest thing to do, but you can't ignore the tools that Mallett has physically. He is the best fit for the West Coast offense? Probably not. Would the Niners take him anyway? Maybe. In Harbuagh we trust (............until proven different).

I don't think Mallett ever admitted drug use. And his coach was on record saying he never failed any drug tests during school, and plus if he had failed a combine drug test we would likely know by now.

I'm not the hugest Ryan Mallet fan, but if we took him I can't say I'd be terribly upset. I believe he will be a 1st rounder come next Thursday.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

"Hey man, did you hear Ryan Mallett took a dump on Suzy Kolber's face? He's a serious character concern!" Then everyone hears him talk and they're like, "OMG, he's white, but he is trying to talk like a negro...he really DOES have character concerns!! Drop him to the 3rd!"

"I'm Blaine Gabbert, and I approve this message..."
[ Edited by chinawildman on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by valrod33:
JoeFortenbaugh

BREAKING: Mallett skips meeting with Panthers after late night on the town. @bradbiggs has the scoop http://t.co/lnoAiFy

lol. welcome to the 3rd or 4th rnd mr. mallett

This seems like a smoke screen, would he really gamble away potentially millions of dollars for a night on the town?!? I mean he doens't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed, but DAMN!

That's the problem with people with problems. They can't see past the moment at hand.

And that's the problem with people who are prejudiced....they'll assume something that makes no effing sense just because they can"t see past their prejudice at hand.

No need to get offended. I wasn't trying to insult you and your AA buddies.

I'm just saying the media has thrown Mallett under the bus this offseason, slanting every story reported on him to make him look as bad as possible. They manufacture bogus headlines: "Ryan Mallett flips off a reporter and takes a dump on Suzy Kolber's face!" People read these extremely biased accounts of Mallett and they pass this bulls**t to their friends, "Hey man, did you hear Ryan Mallett took a dump on Suzy Kolber's face? He's a serious character concern!" Then everyone hears him talk and they're like, "OMG, he's white, but he is trying to talk like a negro...he really DOES have character concerns!! Drop him to the 3rd!"

Regardless if what you're saying is true, if he has a drug problem, he has a problem. Period.
dude will be GOOD!
take him!
When you have a talent, you build around it. When that talent is a quarterback with Mallet's kind of ability as a passer, you make whatever alterations you need to accommodate his game. This is a passing league and with what I see from his clips is that he has the kind of arm that creates yardage whether it's a completion or not with the PI rules the way they are. What's more disheartening to a defense than the impossible to defend pass? And whatever drug problem it was....well I'm just hoping it's not meth.
This is similar to the Jevan Snead story. I don't think Mallet will go undrafted but he's incredibly stupid to throw away a chance to play in the NFL because of his poor judgment.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I don't think Mallett ever admitted drug use. And his coach was on record saying he never failed any drug tests during school, and plus if he had failed a combine drug test we would likely know by now.

I'm not the hugest Ryan Mallet fan, but if we took him I can't say I'd be terribly upset. I believe he will be a 1st rounder come next Thursday.

There's reports out there that have said that he admitted to drug use in team interviews.

Calling off meetings because he's hung over certainly isn't going help his draft status.

My opinion on him is the same. I'd take him in the 2nd if he's there and the others are gone (not including Stanzi). He wouldn't be the first notorious party boy to hit the league and succeed. Dan Marino says hello.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:22 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

There's reports out there that have said that he admitted to drug use in team interviews.

Calling off meetings because he's hung over certainly isn't going help his draft status.

My opinion on him is the same. I'd take him in the 2nd if he's there and the others are gone (not including Stanzi). He wouldn't be the first notorious party boy to hit the league and succeed. Dan Marino says hello.

In this day and age of blogs and tweets, with all the "journalists" out there trying to be the first one to break a so-called story, very little follow-up is done to validate their claims. We have to take everything we read with a grain of salt because more and more it seems less like journalism and more like gossip queens.

Take the instance of Mallett being hungover and calling off the meeting. The panthers organization has come forward to say that the claims are completely untrue. And that Mallett actually met with them in the morning but they sent eventually sent him back to the hotel and even drove him back to the airport when he wasn't able to continue.

Read this for more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/agents-panthers-respond-to-mallett-report/?loc=interstitialskip

Bottom line is even "reputable" writers these days are grasping at stories leading up to the draft. It's why Fairley's a character problem, why Bowers and Ingram's knees are worse sounding than they are, and why Mallett is widely perceived to be an a-hole.

People that have their minds made up already about Mallett will never bother to follow up on these stories to see the other side... that's unfortunate.

• titan
  • Veteran
True Facts about Ryan Mallet:

-Only Ryan Mallet did drugs while in high school or College.
-Teams aren't spreading rumors hoping his stock drops so they can draft him.
-He has a little Flava so he has charachter issues.
-He answered truthfully for GM's and Coaches during the interview and not he media so he is a liar.

What a bunch of CRaP! Hammering a kid labeling him as a crack addict with charachter issues. We have players coming out of college this year that were suspended from NCAA football last year and these idiots don't see a RED FLAG! The problem with a lot of fans is they don't know anything about football! Yes they are fans and they love the sport, but they don't understand it!l They get their knowledge and info from ESPN that Flip-Flop everyday turning them to a bunch of mindless zombies that are talking out of their A$$. How quickly people forget "Pay for Play",Steal a final exam, Fraud exam papers, stolen Laptop, and lets not forget the FFCA interview! Give me an example of a complicated Play Call you have in Auburn? UHHH! 36!? Lol. It's not that Gus Mlzhan offense is simplistic, It's because he is an Awesome Offensive Coordinator that has the ability to identify strength and weaknesses! That's Why you got the No.36! He got a repetitive play during practice with #36! It's like potty training a toddler! If you add anymore numbers to that it would be a BUSTED PLAY! Listen to his answers! What do you think about the medias criticism about you? GUN!!! Uhhh! Those words go in the" Mental Camber" and I use as Bullets. I bet Gruden thinks this guy is an Idiot!!!Lol. I would take any QB in the draft, but him. If you agree with me then SWAG on 3!!! I can't stand him! I hope he falls to the Cardinal!
Originally posted by titan:

-He answered truthfully for GM's and Coaches during the interview and not he media so he is a liar.

What a bunch of CRaP! Hammering a kid labeling him as a crack addict with charachter issues. We have players coming out of college this year that were suspended from NCAA football last year and these idiots don't see a RED FLAG! The problem with a lot of fans is they don't know anything about football! Yes they are fans and they love the sport, but they don't understand it!l They get their knowledge and info from ESPN that Flip-Flop everyday turning them to a bunch of mindless zombies that are talking out of their A$$. How quickly people forget "Pay for Play",Steal a final exam, Fraud exam papers, stolen Laptop, and lets not forget the FFCA interview! Give me an example of a complicated Play Call you have in Auburn? UHHH! 36!? Lol. It's not that Gus Mlzhan offense is simplistic, It's because he is an Awesome Offensive Coordinator that has the ability to identify strength and weaknesses! That's Why you got the No.36! He got a repetitive play during practice with #36! It's like potty training a toddler! If you add anymore numbers to that it would be a BUSTED PLAY! Listen to his answers! What do you think about the medias criticism about you? GUN!!! Uhhh! Those words go in the" Mental Camber" and I use as Bullets. I bet Gruden thinks this guy is an Idiot!!!Lol. I would take any QB in the draft, but him. If you agree with me then SWAG on 3!!! I can't stand him! I hope he falls to the Cardinal!

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by titan:

Originally posted by chinawildman:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

In this day and age of blogs and tweets, with all the "journalists" out there trying to be the first one to break a so-called story, very little follow-up is done to validate their claims. We have to take everything we read with a grain of salt because more and more it seems less like journalism and more like gossip queens.

Take the instance of Mallett being hungover and calling off the meeting. The panthers organization has come forward to say that the claims are completely untrue. And that Mallett actually met with them in the morning but they sent eventually sent him back to the hotel and even drove him back to the airport when he wasn't able to continue.

Read this for more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/agents-panthers-respond-to-mallett-report/?loc=interstitialskip

Bottom line is even "reputable" writers these days are grasping at stories leading up to the draft. It's why Fairley's a character problem, why Bowers and Ingram's knees are worse sounding than they are, and why Mallett is widely perceived to be an a-hole.

People that have their minds made up already about Mallett will never bother to follow up on these stories to see the other side... that's unfortunate.

I find this to be true, but it works the other way around also. People who have made up their minds that Mallett is a "super awesome QB" will take all the bad publicity with a grain of salt because they refuse to see a negative about him.

I take all stories, good or bad, with a grain of salt at this time before the draft. Could he have partied before the Panthers visit? Yes and No. Only Mallett knows and of course his agent is going to back him up.
All I hear about is how Mallett has the best arm in the draft ( after his display at the scouting combine...no not the interview ). Every article says he has the biggest 3 and 5 step drops due to his size ( NFL.com ), he's the most NFL ready ( NFL.com ) His release point is over 8 feet in the air ( ESPN video ). Over and over I hear about how great he is, but then the media turns around and says he's not worth a 1st round pick? Even this article on SF Gate "Trent Baalke evaluates quarterbacks", they talk about all the shortcoming of the Gabberts, Locker and Newton..but say this about Mallett =

======================

Mallett seems most amenable to a West Coast scheme because he worked under coach Bobby Patrino who not only runs a pro style scheme but is also demanding of his quarterbacks.

======================

What am I missing here? He's huge, fits our scheme the best, seems to have football smarts, is the most accurate and is the only QB in the draft who can make any throw on the field..ie, most arm strength. Yet he continues to get bashed by the media who have him falling into the 2nd round? WOW..I challenge any expert to watch his GAME TAPES and tell me hes not more talented than the run 1st Newton, the "gun slinging" Locker or 5 yard pass Gabbert.

There's some kind of crazy bias here because Ryan admitted what all the others have done, but dont say. Oh and like myself, he has terrible grammatical and speaking skills. Since when did being a Rhodes scholar equate into winning football games?

I have faith in Harbaugh to make the right choice. Obviously if Peterson is there at 7, we have to pick him because his upside is sky high and we need a CB just as bad as a QB. I could also see if Von Miller falls to us. If both of those guys are gone though, grab Mallett at 7. The only better scenario if Patrick and Von are gone is to trade back and grab him, get Ryan ( who I believe is the best QB in this class ), and extra picks??? Sign me up for that ISH!!!!

Love,

Ryan Mallett Sr.
Share 49ersWebzone