There are 120 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

I find it interesting that Jimmy hasn't said boo about CP... Jimmy likes poker, and I think he is holding CP close to his vest...
Originally posted by submoa:
I find it interesting that Jimmy hasn't said boo about CP... Jimmy likes poker, and I think he is holding CP close to his vest...

IMO, I think Ponder is the guy we are targeting. I dont believe for one second that Newton or Gabbert are options for us. I think Harbaugh is targeting a QB in the 2nd or late first by trading back in.

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

Thats how i think we are gonna go
yup, I agree...

I like Dalton as well but I don't think he is as mentally quick as CK and CP and I know Jimmy likes his QBs smart.
Harbaugh's chief scout was at Ponder's pro day...and I'm reasonably sure he told Coach how well he sees Ponder fitting into his WCO. JH has seen most of the other top-rated QB's, with Mallett being an exception. I've never seen him as a legitimate candidate for our offense...but once I saw Ponder at the Senior Bowl, and again at the combine, I was convinced he'd be a guy to take the reins. With his stock rising, agree, trading down with the right partner (before Seattle, or other teams needing a QB) is the path they'll need to take to get him. Locker's a possibility, too...Harbaugh knows him well, having coached against him since 2007. But, Ponder has none of the accuracy issues Locker's had...and in my mind, would be the best fit.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by JDog:
He will never last until our current pick spot in the 2nd round though.

WE MUST TRADE DOWN TO LATE FIRST EARLY SECOND!

I'm doubting he gets past seattle at 25th if carroll gets wind of harbaugh liking ponder lol. I know they have other needs, but replacing an aging/oft injured Hasselbeck is one of them. Which is why I'm doubting the NE deal is the best for us.

Yeah, they could go kaepernick or anyone else in 2nd/3rd because short term hasselbeck is still a good qb when healthy, and defense or a receiver in first, but like us-if they believe ponder's a few tiers ahead of the others why would they wait?

I tend to agree. I project Ponder going to Seattle at 25.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I'm doubting he gets past seattle at 25th if carroll gets wind of harbaugh liking ponder lol. I know they have other needs, but replacing an aging/oft injured Hasselbeck is one of them. Which is why I'm doubting the NE deal is the best for us.

Yeah, they could go kaepernick or anyone else in 2nd/3rd because short term hasselbeck is still a good qb when healthy, and defense or a receiver in first, but like us-if they believe ponder's a few tiers ahead of the others why would they wait?

Hopefully Seattle trades for Kolb. There is a report that a NFC West team has an offer for a 1st rounder for Kolb.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Hopefully Seattle trades for Kolb. There is a report that a NFC West team has an offer for a 1st rounder for Kolb.

Yeah seattle makes sense, no other teams are going to give up a first, us and arizona are too high up to care and everyone else toward the bottom are already pretty much set at qb.

I'm not worried about kolb in our division considering the lack of weapons they've got for him to throw to compared to philly. Hasselbeck will outplay him until the usual injuries strike.

This would free up our options of teams we can safely down to. Could perhaps pull off that new england deal or something.
The Peahawks are in a bit of a pickle... they can't trade their first round pick for Kolb if there is no CBA (at least that is my understanding)... so do they take Ponder or wait to trade next year's pick for Kolb?

IMO, I think Ponder is the guy we are targeting. I dont believe for one second that Newton or Gabbert are options for us. I think Harbaugh is targeting a QB in the 2nd or late first by trading back in.

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

I have been saying that all this talk is smoke and mirrors. They may be trying to stir up interest in in gabbert and newton so that if the player they want is not there, and one or two of the QBs are there, someone will offer an enticing trade package for the niners to move down.
The Peahawks are in a bit of a pickle... they can't trade their first round pick for Kolb if there is no CBA (at least that is my understanding)... so do they take Ponder or wait to trade next year's pick for Kolb?

I am hoping they go for hometown boy Locker

Tuesday, March 29, at 8:00 PM ET - NFL Network

'Game Changers' with Mooch, Ponder and Gabbert.

Cant wait!

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

Same here Valrod. That seems to be the order and I think that's what we'll do even if it means trading back up into late first round. Ponder seems like the best option.

There's no value at the top of this draft for QB's. We go and get Peterson or BPA with that number 7 then go after the QB with our second pick.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

Same here Valrod. That seems to be the order and I think that's what we'll do even if it means trading back up into late first round. Ponder seems like the best option.

There's no value at the top of this draft for QB's. We go and get Peterson or BPA with that number 7 then go after the QB with our second pick.

I'd put Locker on that list as well.

But otherwise, I agree.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

That's why I'm high on trading down and getting that extra second, like from Minny.

Grab best 5 tech at #12, grab best QB and OLB in the second, and land the best CB in the third. Four players instead of three would be beneficial especially without FA.

Ponder or anyone of the other three would make me happy. I just don't want Gabbert or Newton.
Quote:
Posted on March 28, 2011 by Eric Branch

So, you like Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder? You’re not alone.

After a disappointing senior season that was marred by injuries, the fast-rising Ponder was named the Senior Bowl MVP and he’s followed with strong performances at the NFL Combine and FSU’s pro day.

In this article, Pete Prisco of CBS Sports quotes an unnamed NFL coach as saying he prefers Ponder to Auburn’s Cam Newton. Ponder’s stock is rising as he’s put to rest questions regarding lingering arm issues. In addition, he presumably impressed teams in one-on-one meetings at the combine with his Xs-and-Os smarts.

Ponder routinely made at-the-line adjustments in Florida State’s pro-style offense and his on-the-field intelligence is a trait he stressed more than once during his media session at the combine.

“We ran multiple formations at Florida State, and had tons of different pass protections. I did a lot of checking at the line,” Ponder said. “Just talking to scouts already I’ve learned a lot of stuff they do we’ve already been doing at Florida State. I think it’s a huge advantage for me. There is different terminology but we ran some of the same concepts, with the run checks. A lot of it really transfers over and I was surprised by that fact.”

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang views Ponder as a prototypical West Coast Offense quarterback based, in part, on his accuracy. Ponder was mentioned as a preseason Heisman Trophy candidate after he completed 68.8 percent of his passes as a junior in 2009, including 71.3 during his final seven games.

Prisco is clearly a believer, “It would be a mistake if a quarterback-needy team in the middle of the first round didn’t take Ponder,” he writes. “He just might end up being the best quarterback in this class.”

• Let’s pretend the 49ers really want Ponder. How, exactly, do they get him?

Assuming they draft for defense with the No. 7 overall pick, a reasonable assumption, they won’t pick again until the second round where they have the No. 45 overall pick.

In his mailbag, ESPN’s John Clayton can envision a scenario in which the Niners trade that second-round selection to move up and grab a quarterback such as Ponder or TCU’s Andy Dalton.

So what would it take to move up, say, 13 spots (to the final pick of the first round)? According to this ESPN trade calculator, San Francisco’s second-rounder (No. 45) and its two fourth-round picks (Nos. 108 and 115) sounds about right.

• Jim Harbaugh, Cleveland’s Pat Shurmur and Carolina’s Ron Rivera are first-year NFL head coaches who weren’t with the team they’re currently coaching in 2010.

When he’s been asked about the problems a prolonged lockout could present a rookie coach, Harbaugh has offered an all-obstacles-can-and-must-be-overcome response.

In this column by Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News, Baltimore coach John Harbaugh relays a conversation during last week’s owners’ meeting in New Orleans during which Lions coach Jim Schwartz told Jim Harbaugh just how daunting some of those obstacles could be.

“It’s going to be pretty tough,” he said. “We were having dinner the other night and (Lions coach) Jim Schwartz told him basically there’s no way you’re going to be able to get it done (if the lockout lasts into the summer). He told him there’s no way you’re going to be able to accomplish what you need to accomplish in 2 weeks if this thing lasts a while.

“Jim just kind of bit his tongue, which is what you’ve got to do in this situation. Because there’s nothing you can do about it. You’ve just got to try to get your team ready to play.”

-Eric Branch
Share 49ersWebzone