LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Because in my opinion, those later round qbs have natural quarterback instincts and mechanics. Throwing motion, pocket presence, poise, etc. these are essential qb qualities that are easily overshadowed by a fast 40, or cams 20 rushing tds. I'm not saying draft a pure quarterback with cement feet, but the first thing you should look at is how they play their position and ask yourself: Will this transfer over to the nfl? Look at CP, he plays in a mixed offense, plenty of under center snaps, and he does all the little things correct.

Those natural qb qualities can't really be taught. At least not nearly as easily as other aspects like improving athleticism.

I agree that Locker doesn't appear to have those natural QB qualities. But if you're saying Gabbert or even Newton doesn't, I totally disagree. Both clearly need refining in a lot of areas, but they do possess natural QB qualities in varying degrees (movement in the pocket to extend the play, touch and accuracy from the pocket and on the move, and the natural leadership skills that every great QB needs).

There's a lot to work with when you're talking about Newton and Gabbert natural QB qualities; less so regarding Locker (IMO).

My problem with gabbert is he's struggled with accuracy often, and he comes from a pure spread offense. Improving his accuracy is a tough task, teaching him to play under center is another tough task, how about teaching him both? That's an awful lot to ask. Expecting him to improve accuracy while scanning the field on his drop back is basically asking him to play a completely different position.

And cam, well he doesn't exactly have the greatest throwing motion, is a one-look passer, and has his dad stuck on his ass.

At the end of the day I'm not saying neither guy will make it in the nfl for sure, just that they aren't top ten material. Especially gabbert, who wasnt ever mentioned up until a few weeks ago.

If we draft either guy, I'll put my trust in harbaugh that he can develope them, he's the man for the job. I personally wouldn't touch either of those guys with our 7 pick, probably not any first round pick. I would draft a CB/DE or trade down.

[ Edited by DaveTheShocker on Jan 28, 2011 at 15:50:30 ]
I'm jumping on as long as its in the 2ed or 3ed round
Ok with that throw just now im sold, DRAFT THIS KID IN THE SECOND!!!!!
Ponder was clearly the best QB at the Senior Bowl...he was fluid, made good reads, is pretty mobile, threw the ball away at the right times, and made two excellent TD throws. I'm in...he just needs to stay healthy. I think he'd adapt very well to Harbaugh's WCO...I'm sold.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ponder was clearly the best QB at the Senior Bowl...he was fluid, made good reads, is pretty mobile, threw the ball away at the right times, and made two excellent TD throws. I'm in...he just needs to stay healthy. I think he'd adapt very well to Harbaugh's WCO...I'm sold.

Don't think he will last to the 5th or 6 round...
Who said anything about the 5th or 6th rd? I didn't...I think he goes in the 2nd. That's where we should grab him...only knock on the guy is his health. He looks like a natural for the WCO...I wouldn't risk passing on him in 2nd rd. We take either Miller or Amukamara in 1st, then Ponder in 2nd. That's a great start to the draft...
Who said anything about the 5th or 6th rd? I didn't...I think he goes in the 2nd. That's where we should grab him...only knock on the guy is his health. He looks like a natural for the WCO...I wouldn't risk passing on him in 2nd rd. We take either Miller or Amukamara in 1st, then Ponder in 2nd. That's a great start to the draft...

We wont take him in the 2nd. We have our QB and our QB hates competion... So they will wait intill day 3 to address the need.

How many other WCO teams are QB needy?
Originally posted by fakers23:

We wont take him in the 2nd. We have our QB and our QB hates competion... So they will wait intill day 3 to address the need.

I think Ponder will go in the 2nd and would be a good 49er if picked imo

http://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-a-Troll-on-the-Internet

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Oh, I think Ponder go in the 2nd to 4th round. Don't think the 49ers will grab him though.. Going off past history..

Oh, I think Ponder go in the 2nd to 4th round. Don't think the 49ers will grab him though.. Going off past history..

They see me trollin, they hatin!
They hopin that they gon catch me writin dirty!
tryna catch me writin dirty!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

They see me trollin, they hatin!
They hopin that they gon catch me writin dirty!
tryna catch me writin dirty!

Not trolling... We signed Carr for the same very reason last year... For our QB didn't have to face competion. Any QB draft from 1st to 4 round will be considered a threat. lol
better then I expected from him
he was better, but Im not gonna say we should draft him, since he looked terrible at FSU during his career.
Share 49ersWebzone