LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 436 users in the forums

Would you Trade away our #1 in 2012 to Move up for Luck?

Would you Trade away our #1 in 2012 to Move up for Luck?

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Absolutely not. He is not worth that. This board severely overrates Andrew Luck. He's a tremendous prospect, but I would not trade away a pick. We need all the picks we can get, and there are far too many unbelievable players out there right now that could really help us.

No, no I would absolutely not trade it.

His release is slow and he is very stiff. But he throws an accurate ball if given LOTS of time. He's vastly overrated on this board IMO. Because he is a Bay Area player they are familiar with and like. Still he is a good prospect. Just not the sure thing Peyton Manning he is made out to be here on the 49ersWZ.

But other scouts have him rated as the number one prospect so if he is overrated it's not just on this board.

Scouts rated Alex Smith as the #1 prospect in 2005. So what's your point?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Luck doesn't declare, then I'd hope we go Patrick Peterson, then Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd maybe James Carpenter if hes still there. Or even Leonard Hankerson, but if he runs good at the Combine, he'll probably sneak into the early 2nd round.
Absolutely not. He is not worth that. This board severely overrates Andrew Luck. He's a tremendous prospect, but I would not trade away a pick. We need all the picks we can get, and there are far too many unbelievable players out there right now that could really help us.

His release is slow and he is very stiff. But he throws an accurate ball if given LOTS of time. He's vastly overrated on this board IMO. Because he is a Bay Area player they are familiar with and like. Still he is a good prospect. Just not the sure thing Peyton Manning he is made out to be here on the 49ersWZ.

But other scouts have him rated as the number one prospect so if he is overrated it's not just on this board.

You said that the board overrates him because he's a bay area player. My point is that it's not just this board it's the entire country that has him ranked #1. So it's not like the board is showing huge bay area bias towards him. And not everyone here has him ahead of Locker.
how about a lockdown Cb and a Qb in the second?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

None of the QBs that year were rated the #1 prospect and it was always kind of a toss up as to which QB was better prospect.
Yes, and I'm hoping we do just that if Luck declares.
In a minute.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

I won't pretend to be half of the prospect hound you are, but who do you suggest we get to solve our QB problem? I know you prefer a more mobile QB but Luck is no slouch and passing wise he appears to be far and ahead the best prospect. Don't you think we should get the best QB period? I don't care if a QB can avoid the rush if he can't make a pass after he does.
u just don't get it, do u? we are talking about a draft prospect and not about a proven veteran like seymour...how stupid is that idea about trading our future 1st-rounder away for the 1st ovr? and the next problem is that the future 1st-rounder won't be enough...either u have to add a player or another draft-pick and we need all the picks from the 1st until the 4th-round of the next and the 2012 draft because we will have a lot of needs.
recent and upcoming needs:
-QB (don't need an explanation here)
-CB (both of our CBs suck...and we don't have anything behind them)
-FS (goldson has to be replaced NOW)
-ILB (spikes' successor, except if bowman or mckillop pans out)
-pass-rushing OLB (neither lawson nor parys can do it)
-DE (as long as Soap doesn't learn to pass rush and RayMac doesn't learn how to stop the run)
-NT (as long as RJF can't step in)
-RG (rachal is not the answer and we don't know yet if snyder can upgrade him)
-legitimate WR2/3rd-down back (for me, speed is the most important criterion here)
we talk about 9 picks!!!

If you know you can get a elite QB you do whatever you can to get him. This is a QB league and having a quality QB and a functioning offense does wonders for everyone on the time from the OL to the Defense. Just see Peyton Manning.
For the simple fact he will bring a Stanford following alone is reason enough remember the stadium anyone? He is also a talent that cannot be ignored if within reach. However I think he won't declare due to the lockout and mess we will see this offseason.
By the way the team is playing, we may not need to.

If you know you can get a elite QB you do whatever you can to get him. This is a QB league and having a quality QB and a functioning offense does wonders for everyone on the time from the OL to the Defense. Just see Peyton Manning.
if the qb-position is the last position where u need a new starter within the next 2-3 years, then i agree to that suggestion.
but we need a lot more than just a new qb. don't get me wrong, i was one of the guys who preferred to draft bradford over suh, if i had been the rams' GM because franchise QBs don't grow on trees and normally u don't get franchise qbs outside the first round (romo and brady are exceptions of the rule...i speak about the last 10 years). but i won't sell my life for the 1st ovr because u just need your first-rounders.
Originally posted by communist:

if the qb-position is the last position where u need a new starter within the next 2-3 years, then i agree to that suggestion.
but we need a lot more than just a new qb. don't get me wrong, i was one of the guys who preferred to draft bradford over suh, if i had been the rams' GM because franchise QBs don't grow on trees and normally u don't get franchise qbs outside the first round (romo and brady are exceptions of the rule...i speak about the last 10 years). but i won't sell my life for the 1st ovr because u just need your first-rounders.

We have way fewer holes than the Rams and look what a good QB is doing for them already. A new coach and scheme will improve us drastically, but I think we need that Qb and I'll do what I have to do to get him (see Mark Sanchez and the Jets)
Originally posted by adrenaline:
By the way the team is playing, we may not need to.
  • Henny
  • Veteran
I don't get all this passing on QB if he's there. You need a QB to win in this league plain and simple. What good is having a secondary full of shutdown corners or elite safeties, if your QB can't get first downs and always getting 3 and outs? You can have all the talent on D, but if you don't have a QB who can drive the ball down the field and chew up some clock while putting points on the board it's irrelevant. The D will end up getting exhausted from being on the field all the time.
[ Edited by Henny on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM ]
Trade 2011 and 2012 picks for one player who may or may not make it? With our defensive backfield, pass rush and future needs ie running back? I don't think so. The chances of a qb busting are bad enough when you spend one pick on them.
Share 49ersWebzone