LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

2011 Draft - Needs? Favorite Players? Who Resigns/Leaves?

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Adrian Clayborne was one guy last year I really wanted to see again this year. He looked pretty good last year in the games I saw.

Next Iowa game you watch, check out the DT inside Clayborne. Nonstop motor, always double teamed, allows Clayborne to have the freedom to run around and not worry about the inside run gap very much.DT"s name is Klug, and I"d love it if we drafted him to learn behind J. Smith. At this point in time he"ll go somewhere in the 3ed or 4th,but probably won"t be a sleeper by the end of the 2010 yr.
[ Edited by cupcheck on May 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM ]
With the 28th pick the 49ers will select Ryan Mallet of the Arkansas Razorbacks next season. You will see next april I will be saying I nailed it.
I think we need to grab an DT or CB in the first round next year. Clements and Franklin are both getting old.
Originally posted by filthydogma:
With the 28th pick the 49ers will select Ryan Mallet of the Arkansas Razorbacks next season. You will see next april I will be saying I nailed it.

If we are picking 28th that means A. We made the playoffs, B. went deep and C. Alex did great.

So no QB, and Mallet is a top 15 pick IMO. He should be long gone by pick 28. But u never know.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

If we are picking 28th that means A. We made the playoffs, B. went deep and C. Alex did great.

So no QB, and Mallet is a top 15 pick IMO. He should be long gone by pick 28. But u never know.

Exactly, I would expect us to resign Smith if he does well and we go deep into the playoffs. Heck, I would think we resign him even if we make the playoffs. Otherwise, I could see Carr and Davis playing next year or possibly a veteran FA. Don't see us starting all over with a rookie. Mainly because we are fairly well built every where else and are geared up to be a playoff team again. We aren't rebuilding any more. More like putting on the finishing touches.

So AB, you aren't worried about Miller being too small for 3-4 OLB? Maj, on the 9ers.com board said Texas A&M is switching to a 3-4 so that will help evaluate him. I like Lawson but think we should be going to more of the bigger OLBs. Either way it might be a moot point if Brooks turns out to be an every down LB and Harlason steps up. LaBoy should be a good backup and Briggs is up to about 250 from 230 so he could emerge like Brooks did this year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 30, 2010 at 3:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Exactly, I would expect us to resign Smith if he does well and we go deep into the playoffs. Heck, I would think we resign him even if we make the playoffs. Otherwise, I could see Carr and Davis playing next year or possibly a veteran FA. Don't see us starting all over with a rookie. Mainly because we are fairly well built every where else and are geared up to be a playoff team again. We aren't rebuilding any more. More like putting on the finishing touches.

So AB, you aren't worried about Miller being too small for 3-4 OLB? Maj, on the 9ers.com board said Texas A&M is switching to a 3-4 so that will help evaluate him. I like Lawson but think we should be going to more of the bigger OLBs. Either way it might be a moot point if Brooks turns out to be an every down LB and Harlason steps up. LaBoy should be a good backup and Briggs is up to about 250 from 230 so he could emerge like Brooks did this year.

Not really concerned about Von Miller. Since they are switching to a 3-4 that will indeed help. I also like Manny, but this is his last yr under contract, and if he demands way too much he is gone.

Briggs I like, Im rooting for him to be in 2010 for the roster, and LaBoy will be a nice backup, if he emerges then we may not need to draft a OLB early. But i just cant wait to see how 2010 unfolds.
Not in any order:

1. OLB
2. CB
3. NT

Wow...down to 3!!! We're doing well.
I think we will resign VD, ASAP, then A. Smith, Franklin, Goldson and Baas.

A. Smith- I think he'll lead us to the playoffs and will earn 6-8 million/year.

Franklin - If he plays at the level of last year give him 6-7/year.

Goldson - If he doesnt expect 7 million a year, resign him for 4-6 million/year. He
maybe the most likely to get the franchise tag if available.

All of the above will be making almost the same as this year, except for Goldson. He will eccentially take Lewis' money when we cut him.

Baas - I know what your thinking, Baas stinks. But I think he will be our primary backup at all three int. positions. Sign him to a 2-3 million a year and throw some incentives in it if he takes over for Chilo or Heitman.

I have a feeling that we will see Lewis, Spikes, Mcdonald, Evans and possibly Lawson and Laboy leave for FA or retirement.

This will set us up for a defense heavy 2011 draft. We will need:
NT- Powe, Taylor and a couple small school prospects in McCray and Ellis are my favorites.

DT/DE- Heyward, Bailey, Clayborn, Crick and Dareus top my list.

CB- Might need 2. Peterson, Amukamara and Dowling are my favorites. There are also 2-3 kids each from from NC and Texas that could move up.

OLB- Romerus, Acho, Beal, and Miller and Ayers.

S- Moore and McDaniel are the real deal. Although I dont think we will draft a safety high next year.

Importance will depend on how well certain players perform this year.

Not really concerned about Von Miller. Since they are switching to a 3-4 that will indeed help. I also like Manny, but this is his last yr under contract, and if he demands way too much he is gone.

Briggs I like, Im rooting for him to be in 2010 for the roster, and LaBoy will be a nice backup, if he emerges then we may not need to draft a OLB early. But i just cant wait to see how 2010 unfolds.

Would really like to see Briggs get a shot on the field & make the most of it like Brooks did last season

No it doesn't. A and B is correct but is C is definetily not correct. You can win in this league with below average QB play, but the thing very rarely does it carry over to the following season.

Don't assume that if we make playoffs we have to resign Alex Smith. The reality is if we're winning inspite of Alex it's only a matter of time before that gets exposed. See Carolina last season. See Tennessee last season. The last thing we want to do is commit more time and money to someone that can't lead us to the promise land.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM ]

Originally posted by mtminer:
I think we will resign VD, ASAP, then A. Smith, Franklin, Goldson and Baas.

A. Smith- I think he'll lead us to the playoffs and will earn 6-8 million/year.

Franklin - If he plays at the level of last year give him 6-7/year.

Goldson - If he doesnt expect 7 million a year, resign him for 4-6 million/year. He
maybe the most likely to get the franchise tag if available.

All of the above will be making almost the same as this year, except for Goldson. He will eccentially take Lewis' money when we cut him.

Baas - I know what your thinking, Baas stinks. But I think he will be our primary backup at all three int. positions. Sign him to a 2-3 million a year and throw some incentives in it if he takes over for Chilo or Heitman.

I have a feeling that we will see Lewis, Spikes, Mcdonald, Evans and possibly Lawson and Laboy leave for FA or retirement.

This will set us up for a defense heavy 2011 draft. We will need:
NT- Powe, Taylor and a couple small school prospects in McCray and Ellis are my favorites.

DT/DE- Heyward, Bailey, Clayborn, Crick and Dareus top my list.

CB- Might need 2. Peterson, Amukamara and Dowling are my favorites. There are also 2-3 kids each from from NC and Texas that could move up.

OLB- Romerus, Acho, Beal, and Miller and Ayers.

S- Moore and McDaniel are the real deal. Although I dont think we will draft a safety high next year.

Importance will depend on how well certain players perform this year.

Nice post...

I agree I could see Evans for sure leaving (hasn't done anything), Lawson (how does he play and how much does he want), Lewis (retirement), Spikes (probably could be backup for cheap leaving. If McDonald can stay healthy I bet we resign him because he has potential. I bet Alex resigns if we at least make the playoffs. VD is a lock to sign (knock on wood), could see Franklin leaving and Goldson signed or tagged. We will probably lose one of our guys with Lawson, A Smith, Franklin and Goldson fighting to be signed with VD being a lock.

I would let Lawson first (at 7 mil a year), then Smith (depending on how he does), Franklin (30 years old, play will probably fall off) and then Goldson (younger, get his price down).

Of the 4 I bet we can sign 2 and tag 1. Probably will have to let 1 maybe 2 go.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Not in any order:

1. OLB
2. CB
3. NT

Yeah, I can remember in the dark days of the Erickson and Nolan era where we had like 10 glaring needs. We have come a long ways but have a ways to go.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Not in any order:

1. OLB
2. CB
3. NT

Yeah, I can remember in the dark days of the Erickson and Nolan era where we had like 10 glaring needs. We have come a long ways but have a ways to go.

Yep, were getting closer. Our drafts are really starting to pan out for us. Our top picks over the last few years are becoming the best at their positions. Hopefully those early round 2008 picks get goin and we'll be in good shape otherwise 1-3 FA pickups next year could get things rollin quickly. Got me excited.
Share 49ersWebzone