There are 174 users in the forums

Next years draft, more O-linemen?

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Center and Nose Tackle would seem to be needs in time and both positions take time to develop.

since Baas has moved over to center that is no longer a need.

1) NT
2) CB
3) ILB (Spikes cant play forever)

Moving over to center in May is one thing. Playing in November is rather different. Neither Baas nor Wallace have proved anything at center in the NFL yet. Wragge has been used as backup to date which may indicate something.

And Baas is only here on a one year tender. Unless he plays like a pro bowler at any position, he will have zero impact on next year's draft imo.
They can franchise AF every year, even if he doesn't sign. DL are hard to peg.

I think
CB first
then
DL

But if smith don't pan out then QB maybe. Its so far away and who knows how CBA will turn out and who wil be cut or become a FA. Rather concentrate on this years season first.
Lest we forget, Baas got the Rymington Trophy as best C in Division I his senior season at Mich. He has the strength and stamina to play the position...what he lacks is Heitmann's ability to make the line calls, which could be one of the reasons he and Wragge are getting more reps at the position this off-season. I've been calling for him to understudy Heitmann for the past couple of years...only now is it finally happening. He may/may not be the answer...but he presents an option worth pursuing, at the very least. The fact he can also play OG is in his favor, too.

CB and NT would seem to be the biggest 2011 needs...RJF's showing promise, especially never having played the position before. Balmer's still an unknown in terms of his potential for the position. Hopefully when he's healthy, he'll get reps there. With Clements' future cloudy after 2010 season, CB's a position that should get plenty of attention next draft.
this team will be desperate for CB's next year. In a capped year Clements is as good as gone unless he takes a big paycut. Franklin will get a 3-4 year deal to stick around so NT won't be that big of an issue.

To get to your post about OL no way, we have 4 young OL in Davis/Iupati/Staley/Rachal as starters and Boone developing as a backup OT. Heitman will be fine at C for another 2-3 years.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Center and Nose Tackle would seem to be needs in time and both positions take time to develop.

since Baas has moved over to center that is no longer a need.

1) NT
2) CB
3) ILB (Spikes cant play forever)

we already have navarro bowman
I would like a top guard center to replace some of the older reserves. As for pass rusher, I am not so sure that is an area to devote resources especially since so few seem to excel there. IMO the niners are going with Raw physically gifted guys and bringing them online. From the recent failure rates for those types, it seems a waste of resources to pay for guys who have low rates of success. From what I see the dominance of OL seems to be gaining so it might be best to have the best OL. I do see a need for some big bodies in the near future on the DL. IMO guys like Balmer and RJF and Sopoaga are ok at ends but they do need a big NT. Even though the niners could use a top corner, I think barring major injuries they could do pretty well with what they have for a few years. I think at this point, the needs will be NT, DBs and exceptional players. They are pretty well staffed otherwise. Sometimes it is not about sheer ability but working as a team, I do not buy the idea of superstars being desired always. I don't advocate rushing Nate Davis, but man does his skills invite qb envy. I wonder how many teams would give a high pick for him. I suspect there would be a number 1 there somewhere. I think if he has the time, he would make a very high amount of passes and the type of passes that go for tds. He has the accuracy to hit those passes where a reciever has a chance to break it. One thing makes me wonder is the occassional flutters mentioned by one of the writers. I wonder if the non use of laces has some effect on that. It has been noted that NFL balls are slicker then college balls. It might pay to have Nate work on that as it is not that big a deal.
Share 49ersWebzone