LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 337 users in the forums

To You Jimmy Clausen Fans

Originally posted by Draftology:
This guy looks like a crappier version of Alex Smith. He has a WAY better line than Alex had and WAY better receivers, yet his stats are extremely similar, if not worse. I know it's early but so far Jimmy Clausen looks like a bust, especially if the Panthers pick Andrew Luck next year.
1.no, he doesnt have a better o-line at all...even our o-line creates sometimes a pass protection.
2.better receivers? whom besides of steve smith? lafell??? gettis? we have vernon davis, westbrook and even morgan and crabtree are way better than what they have.
3.you think that he is a bust after a crappy year on a crappy team where john fox, this son of a b***h, throws him in and pulls him 2 minutes later???

jimmy has to learn how and when to step up in the pocket...he showed why it is useful to do this against the falcons...there was one very nice intermediate throw with some zip on it, after he had stepped up.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
This guy looks like a crappier version of Alex Smith. He has a WAY better line than Alex had and WAY better receivers, yet his stats are extremely similar, if not worse. I know it's early but so far Jimmy Clausen looks like a bust, especially if the Panthers pick Andrew Luck next year.
1.no, he doesnt have a better o-line at all...even our o-line creates sometimes a pass protection.
2.better receivers? whom besides of steve smith? lafell??? gettis? we have vernon davis, westbrook and even morgan and crabtree are way better than what they have.
3.you think that he is a bust after a crappy year on a crappy team where john fox, this son of a b***h, throws him in and pulls him 2 minutes later???

jimmy has to learn how and when to step up in the pocket...he showed why it is useful to do this against the falcons...there was one very nice intermediate throw with some zip on it, after he had stepped up.

Maybe their line is as good as ours, perhaps better but they have not played like it. They have failed to run or pass block effectively. The same can be said at WR.

It is not just John Fox, although rotating the QB's like he had been doing has done nothing. They were moves of a desperate coach. If he somehow kept his job he'd be wise to dump the entire offensive coaching staff and try to lure in someone like Josh McDaniels (or Norv Turner should he be fired) to run his offense.
I thought Clausen would look a lot better. He needs more time to grow but his pocket presence isn't up to par. I thought is pocket presence would be his best asset coming from a pro style offense and Charlie Weiss. Panthers have no good skill players though. I think take Luck, and let clausen develop as a back up.

I was referring to Alex's rookie year when he had Kwame Harris as his right tackle, Brandon Lloyd as his number one wide receiver, and Kevin Barlow as his running back. If Clausen's stats were anything close to Alex's this year I wouldn't have a problem, but he looks like they took a kicker and threw him in at quarterback. He has even apologized to his team for being so crappy. And btw, that's not leadership, that is shame. A leader would apologize in private, and his teammates would respect him for it. Based on Steve Smith's comments, the respect isn't there.
It's not even a question that this Panthers team is better than that 2005 Niners team was. The two biggest differences between this team and last year's team (who went 8-8) are the loss of Julius Peppers (doesn't affect Clausen's gameplay except for maybe giving him some more pass attempts) and the loss of Jake Delhomme who played terribly last year. This guy is also coming from a pro style offense so he is expected to be productive somewhat early, unlike Alex who came from the spread, so he wasn't supposed to be great his rookie year.
I feel like there are so many Notre Dame homers here that people will be making excuses for Clausen his entire career, just like Alex. Before this season, the Panthers' line was regarded as one of the better lines in the league. Yes, there have been injuries, but Clausen still is playing WAAAY worse than he should be.
[ Edited by Draftology on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I thought Clausen would look a lot better. He needs more time to grow but his pocket presence isn't up to par. I thought is pocket presence would be his best asset coming from a pro style offense and Charlie Weiss. Panthers have no good skill players though. I think take Luck, and let clausen develop as a back up.

Most teams would kill to have Steve Smith on their roster (and he's only missed 1 game this year), not to mention 2 stud RBs in Stewart and Goodson (and of course, DeAngelo Williams when healthy). Don't forget the rookie 2 rookie WRs (Brandon LaFell and David Gettis) who will both finish up with nearly 40 catches each for the season.

They may not have a star-studded roster of weapons, but to say they have NO good skill players isn't accurate at all.
  • evil
  • Veteran

I was referring to Alex's rookie year when he had Kwame Harris as his right tackle, Brandon Lloyd as his number one wide receiver, and Kevin Barlow as his running back. If Clausen's stats were anything close to Alex's this year I wouldn't have a problem, but he looks like they took a kicker and threw him in at quarterback. He has even apologized to his team for being so crappy. And btw, that's not leadership, that is shame. A leader would apologize in private, and his teammates would respect him for it. Based on Steve Smith's comments, the respect isn't there.
It's not even a question that this Panthers team is better than that 2005 Niners team was. The two biggest differences between this team and last year's team (who went 8-8) are the loss of Julius Peppers (doesn't affect Clausen's gameplay except for maybe giving him some more pass attempts) and the loss of Jake Delhomme who played terribly last year. This guy is also coming from a pro style offense so he is expected to be productive somewhat early, unlike Alex who came from the spread, so he wasn't supposed to be great his rookie year.
I feel like there are so many Notre Dame homers here that people will be making excuses for Clausen his entire career, just like Alex. Before this season, the Panthers' line was regarded as one of the better lines in the league. Yes, there have been injuries, but Clausen still is playing WAAAY worse than he should be.

Actually statistically both teams are fairly comparable. The 2010 Panthers have more name value than the 2005 49ers did, but name value means little when you consider the huge meltdown that the Panthers have suffered this year. And when it comes to the OL it doesn't matter what they were once considered when you watch them play, they keep going one way...backwards. Right now they can be considered on of the worst in football.

Quote:
But the underlying struggle for Clausen could also become his biggest selling point.

Because he’s surrounded with an odd cast of rookies and replacements and a few regulars, it’s hard for him to look very good. At the same time, if he could turn that group into winners a time or two, it would stand as testament to his ability to be all the quarterback the Panthers need.

"That’s for you guys to judge that," Clausen replied with a laugh when asked if this was a fair showcase. "I’m just trying to get better each and every day and each and every game."

While he hasn’t won a start yet, and has thrown more touchdowns to opponents than teammates, there are some signs of progress. He looked calm and in control in the first half of last week’s game at Seattle, and has a few other chances this year which became losses through no implicit fault of his own (at New Orleans when DeAngelo Williams took a loss that knocked them out of field goal range, or in Cleveland when a game-winning field goal attempt hit the upright).

His teammates agree that he’s showing signs of progress, small as they may be in this lost season.

Rookie wideout David Gettis said Clausen seems more comfortable than he did when first asked to play in September, saying he can see it in the way he goes through his progressions on passing downs.

"I think a lot of people give him flak that don’t understand football or the responsibility he has," Gettis said. "He’s dictating where everything’s going and has to know every single aspect of it. I’m a receiver, all I have to know is my routes. He has to know everybody’s routes, where they’re going to be and when they’re going to be there. And he’s a rookie.

"I feel like the more time he gets, the more comfortable he gets. The more he sees, the less he has to think and he can rely on his God-given abilities, his arm, his strength and his accuracy."

The reality is, nearly every rookie quarterback struggles. Veteran tight end Jeff King pointed to Peyton Manning’s 3-13 record for Indianapolis in 1998, saying "It’s a steep learning curve for those guys."

Injured wide receiver Wallace Wright was with the Jets last year when Mark Sanchez was breaking in, and said it was easy to see how that team tried to take the pressure off their rookie starter. He recalled the Jets’ three-game losing streak early in the year, when Sanchez was forced to throw an average of 27 times per game. When he won four of his last five starts, he averaged 17 attempts per game.

"Guys look drastically different year one to year two," Wright said. "But if you’re a rookie starting quarterback, you’re evaluated at a higher level than a rookie starting somewhere else. You’re the quarterback, you’re the most important player on the field, so you’re held to a higher standard.

"Mark handled it well, but they made it easy for him. You can’t put too much on their plate too soon."
Quote:
I was referring to Alex's rookie year when he had Kwame Harris as his right tackle, Brandon Lloyd as his number one wide receiver, and Kevin Barlow as his running back.

i dont know anything about his rookie season but i assume that you cant compare those two season at all...other opponents and so on...
Quote:
It's not even a question that this Panthers team is better than that team was. The two biggest differences between this team and last year's team (who went 8-8) are the loss of Julius Peppers (doesn't affect Clausen's gameplay except for maybe giving him some more pass attempts) and the loss of Jake Delhomme who played terribly last year.

no, the peppers-loss does not effect the offense directly, but indirectly...if your d-line cant stop anything so that you trail by a big spread, you have to run a pass-heavy offense to get some points on the board. especially if your running game doesnt work at all like this year.
Quote:
This guy is also coming from a pro style offense so he is expected to be productive somewhat early, unlike Alex who came from the spread, so he wasn't supposed to be great his rookie year.
he is coming from a westcoast offense...if i am not mistaken, the panthers dont play a westcoast offense...and even if a college-qb played pro-style, it doesnt say anything about his real nfl-readiness.
Quote:
Before this season, the Panthers' line was regarded as one of the better lines in the league. Yes, there have been injuries, but Clausen still is playing WAAAY worse than he should be.
yes, there have been injuries...let's figure out how horrible our o-line would be without this year's baas or iupati...
yes, clausen plays horrible but the same applied for moore and for pike and for armanti.
and don't let fool u by their last season's record...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Most teams would kill to have Steve Smith on their roster (and he's only missed 1 game this year), not to mention 2 stud RBs in Stewart and Goodson (and of course, DeAngelo Williams when healthy). Don't forget the rookie 2 rookie WRs (Brandon LaFell and David Gettis) who will both finish up with nearly 40 catches each for the season.

They may not have a star-studded roster of weapons, but to say they have NO good skill players isn't accurate at all.

True, I should have said no good skill players at the wide out. And I had actually forgotten about Steve Smith. Lafell and Gettis aren't that promising unless they playing the Niners db's every week.
Quote:
I was referring to Alex's rookie year when he had Kwame Harris as his right tackle, Brandon Lloyd as his number one wide receiver, and Kevin Barlow as his running back.

i dont know anything about his rookie season but i assume that you cant compare those two season at all...other opponents and so on...
Quote:
It's not even a question that this Panthers team is better than that team was. The two biggest differences between this team and last year's team (who went 8-8) are the loss of Julius Peppers (doesn't affect Clausen's gameplay except for maybe giving him some more pass attempts) and the loss of Jake Delhomme who played terribly last year.

no, the peppers-loss does not effect the offense directly, but indirectly...if your d-line cant stop anything so that you trail by a big spread, you have to run a pass-heavy offense to get some points on the board. especially if your running game doesnt work at all like this year.
Quote:
This guy is also coming from a pro style offense so he is expected to be productive somewhat early, unlike Alex who came from the spread, so he wasn't supposed to be great his rookie year.
he is coming from a westcoast offense...if i am not mistaken, the panthers dont play a westcoast offense...and even if a college-qb played pro-style, it doesnt say anything about his real nfl-readiness.
Quote:
Before this season, the Panthers' line was regarded as one of the better lines in the league. Yes, there have been injuries, but Clausen still is playing WAAAY worse than he should be.
yes, there have been injuries...let's figure out how horrible our o-line would be without this year's baas or iupati...
yes, clausen plays horrible but the same applied for moore and for pike and for armanti.
and don't let fool u by their last season's record...

1. I am comparing the two players because Alex=Bust and I'm arguing that Clausen will be a bust. They have similar statistics, and everyone here is familiar with Alex's career, so I chose him to be the bust I compared Clausen with. Opponents don't mean nearly as much as the team they play on. They both played enough games their rookie years for the strength of their opponents to be relatively even, unless one had a ridiculous schedule which i doubt based on how NFL scheduling works.

2. I mentioned that the Peppers loss just gives Clausen more pass attempts. Yes, it might lower his quarterback rating a little bit, but it should raise his total stats, yet he still has ONE touchdown pass. That is horrific.

3. Jeff Davidson, the Panther's offensive coordinator, runs almost EXACTLY the same offense Charlie Weis did at Notre Dame. Davidson was an assistant in New England when Weis was offensive coordinator. The Panthers quarterbacks coach was even quoted as saying that Clausen already knows the terminology and the concepts because they were the same at Notre Dame. Look it up before you use that point in an argument.

4. Armanti was drafted as a wide receiver, Pike was a 6th round pick, and Moore was a late round pick that was selected to be a life time backup. Clausen was the only one expected to be halfway decent and he is obviously disappointing.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

True, I should have said no good skill players at the wide out. And I had actually forgotten about Steve Smith. Lafell and Gettis aren't that promising unless they playing the Niners db's every week.

Clever!

Kidding aside, having 2 rookie WRs (both with excellent size and speed) end up with around 40 catches each is actually impressive, especially considering the caliber of QB they're dealing with in Carolina.

I never liked this kid in college....and Mel kiper said he would be the best QB in this draft...I doubt that. But to be fair I think it's going to take him some time to develop... He needs to really improve his attitude though.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I never liked this kid in college....and Mel kiper said he would be the best QB in this draft...I doubt that. But to be fair I think it's going to take him some time to develop... He needs to really improve his attitude though.

he needed another year of college ball
Originally posted by jreff22:

he needed to grow a pair

he needed to grow a pair

he was progressing well at ND but wasn't ready. He would of won more games but the play calling was bad his last year.

he needed to grow a pair

he was progressing well at ND but wasn't ready. He would of won more games but the play calling was bad his last year.

agreed, his biggest knock was his Attitude, and inexperience.
Share 49ersWebzone