• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
best pick(s): round one

worst pick(s) round two throught 7

kind of like par for the course for us though

Is Taylor Mays gonna be your new Vernon Davis?

As dumb as the pick was I've learned my lesson in putting too much strength into a single argument. Taylor Mays wasn't good enough for us (atleast half the webzone) with the 17th pick because __________ (insert erason ) just cause he was drafted in the 2nd round doesn't mean he can finally do the things he couldn't do before. You can look at "value" all you want. But if you didn't like him as a starter before you still shouldn't like him as a starter now. He's the same player. There were still safeties on the board that alot of people would have rathered have.

Screw that "value" BS! It's like buying a brand name item on sale just because it's brand name and on sale. Not because it's better than the "generic" brand you can get at the same price and has the ability to do more.

I get your argument about value i guess, but ultimately it doesn't matter at all what we the fans think. For all we knew on the 49ers draft board they had Taylor Mays directly behind Iupati, and had Iupati been taken then we could have gladly taken Mays at #17.

But hey if you're not a Mays fan then you wouldn't have wanted him with any pick. I can see why people hate the pick and also love the pick.
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
I think the Mays move was brilliant. It was thinking outside of the box We were so focused on Taylor Mays as a FS that we didnt consider he is a perfect SS for us I actually believe Goldson is a Ballhawk. This even frees him up even more. I expect with coaching we may start seeing big plays from Mays but that will not be what is asked of him. Sing was clear indicating he was missused in the USC defense. There is a plan for Mays that will make him an impact player in the 49er defensive scheme
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
I think the Mays move was brilliant. It was thinking outside of the box We were so focused on Taylor Mays as a FS that we didnt consider he is a perfect SS for us I actually believe Goldson is a Ballhawk. This even frees him up even more. I expect with coaching we may start seeing big plays from Mays but that will not be what is asked of him. Sing was clear indicating he was missused in the USC defense. There is a plan for Mays that will make him an impact player in the 49er defensive scheme

Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safety in ALL THE LEAGUE. We now have Mays beside him and never really addressed the pass rush or CB area! That is brilliant!

Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safety in ALL THE LEAGUE. We now have Mays beside him and never really addressed the pass rush or CB area! That is brilliant!

What stats are you going by? I find this very hard to believe.

Goldson turned it around the last 6 games. And with a year under his belt, he will build on that.

goldson is better than antrell rolle who is the highest paid safety in the league
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YorkHater:

goldson is better than antrell rolle who is the highest paid safety in the league
great argument!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

What stats are you going by? I find this very hard to believe.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The thing that strikes me as funny is that last year all these guys ragging on Mays would have s**t their pants if he fell to us in the second round. The bottom line is Mays is a smart and motivated player with unbelievable athleticism. I have faith in our coaching staff that we will mold him into a good player at the very least (a guy who will cover, tackle, and fly around the field). I think he has the possibility to become a great player especially with his work ethic.

He seems like a boom or bust guy. I don't think you'd ever say, Oh Taylor Mays he is ok. I think he'll either be really good or really bad.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The thing that strikes me as funny is that last year all these guys ragging on Mays would have s**t their pants if he fell to us in the second round. The bottom line is Mays is a smart and motivated player with unbelievable athleticism. I have faith in our coaching staff that we will mold him into a good player at the very least (a guy who will cover, tackle, and fly around the field). I think he has the possibility to become a great player especially with his work ethic.

He seems like a boom or bust guy. I don't think you'd ever say, Oh Taylor Mays he is ok. I think he'll either be really good or really bad.

That's not altogether true. He could very easily turn into a Michael Lewis clone. Which everyone would say he's ok. But then again! People like to use the potential word with guys as big and as fast as Mays instead of looking at what they are. So I guess you may be right!

• Shifty
  • Veteran

See, I've heard that multiple times and I disagree. The reason why I don't think he'll be a "bust" is not is insane athleticism, it's his smarts and willingness to become better. Most bust guys aren't motivated. I don't think you can undervalue his motivation. At worst, he's a bruising SS who plays better close to the line.

I'm not saying he will be but there is always a good chance. Alex Smith is viewed around the NFL as a bust, yet he is very smart and a very hard worker. Sometimes guys just dont have it.

See, I've heard that multiple times and I disagree. The reason why I don't think he'll be a "bust" is not is insane athleticism, it's his smarts and willingness to become better. Most bust guys aren't motivated. I don't think you can undervalue his motivation. At worst, he's a bruising SS who plays better close to the line.

The story is -

Amazing athlete
Bright guy
Poor instincts

Now, the first two are self evident, but is the last one an issue at all and, if so, can he be "coached up" to learn it or can the first two attributes compensate for the lack of instincts?
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Best Pick - Kyle Williams ASU - High School buddy and a freakish steallllll athlete.

Worst Pick- NONE.

I agree you!!!!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

The story is -

Amazing athlete
Bright guy
Poor instincts

Now, the first two are self evident, but is the last one an issue at all and, if so, can he be "coached up" to learn it or can the first two attributes compensate for the lack of instincts?

That's a good point. I remain pretty optimistic that he'll improve on his weaknesses so long he remains as motivated as he sounds.

The homer in me thinks that he's going to win DROTY and become my favorite player.

But I just can't be hurt again.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Best pick: Mike Iupati - They could've easily said, "Well, we got one OL with our first pick, let's get something different here then draft a guard later." I'm glad they realized that we need to rebuild our OL with elite players, and they went and got the best guard in the draft.

Worst pick: Navorro Bowman - Not too excited about this pick. First off, he probably won't be starting for a year or two. Secondly, where does he fit? OLB? ILB? And lastly, I felt like there were still a lot of good CBs on the board that we could've grabbed.

I agree. I really liked Anthony Davis as well, but being the first pick that is too easy, plus there is virually no risk with Iupati while there is some with Davis, although I think he will overcome it. I like the statement the pick of Mike makes. There were times last year where we just flat out couldn't execute last year. That Philly game all of the breakdowns seemed to be coming from the middle of the line.
This address that. Now all we need is for Chilo to come around. I was really hoping for a CB with that Bowman pick. We nned depth and youth at that position.
Share 49ersWebzone