LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Best pick/worst pick?

• Shifty
  • Veteran
I'm gonna go favorite and least favorite instead.

Favorite: Anthony Davis - Stud OT, i think in 2011 he will be the LT and Staley will be moved back to RT. Davis could easily be the best OT in this years draft.

Least Favorite: Blocking TE - Forgot his name, other decent players left. Someone mentioned he caught like 10 passes his entire career in college? Jesus thats lame.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Best Pick - Kyle Williams ASU - High School buddy and a freakish steallllll athlete.

Worst Pick- NONE.

Camp fodder.

Dont hate on my Guy! he will prove you wronggg

lol I hope so, that would be nice.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Best Pick : Taylor Mays

Worst Pick : Navorro Bowman
Best pick in terms of value Dixon

Worst pick 4th round which was traded to get Davis.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say hes the worst, but the Nate Byham pick could've waited till the 7th. Shoot we could've even gone out and got a vet to block.

I kinda like the Antonio Dixon pick, gives us a better 3rd and short back.

We should've went in another direct with the Kyle Williams pick, I wanted CJ Wilson.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Best Pick Taylor Mays

Worst Pick the dude we took in the 7th

This
Worst pick is the TE we picked up! So many other holes we could have gone for.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Worst pick is the TE we picked up! So many other holes we could have gone for.

One of our holes is a blocking TE. Bear Pascoe was suppose to fill the role Bajema had for years, but he didn't pan out. Delanie Walker is not a good blocker. We finally have two good blocking TEs for our 2 TE sets in short yardage situations (Vernon and Byham). Along with the addition of Anthony Davis and Iupati, we are built to get those 1 or 2 yards.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Best Pick: Taylor Mays in the second, I think he can be just as good as Sean Taylor at strong safety.

Worst pick: Nate Byham, we now have a Tony Curtis, Joe Jon Finley, Nate Byham competition for the blocking tightend role which could be better filled by putting a sixth lineman on the field.
Best Pick - Kyle Williams ASU - High School buddy and a freakish steallllll athlete.

Worst Pick- NONE.

Camp fodder.

Dont hate on my Guy! he will prove you wronggg

lol I hope so, that would be nice.

he was a sleeper pick on a few websites. He has "natural hands" and with his speed 4.3 pro day I reckon he could be a surprise and make the roster, he could possibly take Brandon Jones' spot, especially now that we have Ginn who is also a burner

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Bowman seemed like he was Sing's pick. I think their grooming him to take over for Spikes next year.

We got 2 starters on the O-Line for this year.
2 Future starters next year in Mays and Bowman
Didn't really like any of the 6th rd picks but it's the 6th rd so it's not that big a deal.

How does Dixon fit in with Coffee on the team? How is Kyle Williams supposed to make the team with our group of WR's. Wish they would of traded for Leon Washington, or got a player like him. Speed back that can return punts. Feel like our last 4 picks are destined for the practice squad.

Maybe we will go for Marshawn Lynch?????
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I'm gonna go favorite and least favorite instead.

Favorite: Anthony Davis - Stud OT, i think in 2011 he will be the LT and Staley will be moved back to RT. Davis could easily be the best OT in this years draft.

Least Favorite: Blocking TE - Forgot his name, other decent players left. Someone mentioned he caught like 10 passes his entire career in college? Jesus thats lame.

He had 10 catches last year but was out for 6 games. He graded higher than were he was pick so it was a solid pick. Scot reached for Bear last year when Baalke got value and a kid that can catch and block.

Best value: Taylor Mays - Thing I like about this pick is Lott will mentor him and he has a chip on his shoulder because of being drafted so late.

Best Pick: Anthony Davis - Franchise Tackle, now we have to really good ones.

Worst pick: The kid in the 7th. Felt there were better options there.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM ]
Best pick = The guy that makes it to the probowl

Worst pick = The guy that doesn't make the team
Best pick: Mike Iupati- the guards good enough to be legit first round prospects usually turn out to be pro-bowlers.

Worst pick: That blocking TE we took in the 6th round. I would've rather taken his teamate dorrin Dickerson who has all kinds of talent as a better version of Delaine Walker.
Davis- "A-" grade. Best available OT in the draft when the team was on the board. Has the highest upside of any OT in the draft. I think he's a huge upgrade, and will easily start from Day One. Completely engulfs rushers, and looks smooth in the process. The only downgrade for me was losing the 4th rounder in the trade up, but I can understand the paranoia the team had about being leapfrogged.

Iupati- "A" grade. One of the best OG prospects in the last decade. He should easily bench Baas at LG. Just like Davis, completely engulfs defenders. Still learning the game, and will only get a ton better. Think about how good he is already, with Idaho coaching, weight room facilities, strength coaches, etc.

Mays- "D" grade. Good value spot for a team looking for a safety who is not going to cover anyone. That is not us.

Think about his athleticism, speed, jumping ability. Off the charts. Why was he bypassed by all of these teams in the first round, and more than half of the second round? And, nobody lower than 49 wanted to move up to secure his services. He is simply not a coverage safety. Mays was exposed badly in Senior Bowl practices as someone who is incredibly stiff and cannot change directions. Many scouts believed, and stated, that he will need to transition to OLB in the NFL. The team needed a centerfielder who can cover a lot of ground, and put Goldson into the SS role. Now, we have two guys with coverage limitations. Not a smart move. Many other better coverage safeties on the board at the time. I could not have blamed the team if they sacrificed both the second and third rounder to jump up and grab Nate Allen, some who clearly has the ability to patrol the back end of the secondary, cover speedy receivers in a big play league, and make plays.

Bowman- "D-" grade- I have no idea what the Niners are thinking here. I'm not sure they do as well. Bowman is strictly a 4-3 defender in the NFL. He cannot rush the passer effectively, and is not the best at taking on blockers. To blow a third rounder (which is a common issue with the team the past few years) on a backup to Willis is not a good investment. In the first presser, Singletary did not seem to know where they would play him as well. Welcome to the "We Don't Know where they are going to Play" club of Balmer, R. Smith, and others.

Ginn- "A" grade in trade. Ginn has to be included in the draft, since this is the value we receive for our fifth rounder. Ginn's best football is in front of him. He instantly eliminates our second most glaring need this offseason, and becomes our first deep threat at WR in a LONG time. I believe he assumes the number three WR role, and could even push Morgan (depending on Morgan's development).

Dixon- "A-" grade- The Niners did not appear to have any confidence in Coffee last year, so they better pick up someone they can hand the rock to when Gore is on the bench, or injured. Dixon was second in the SEC in rushing (behind Ingram), with a brutal OL in front of him. Wes Bunting said this about Dixon, "Becomes a starter in his rookie season...Becomes a solid NFL player with no real weakness". Now, I'm not going to go as far as Bunting, but this is a guy really liked in NFL scouting circles.

Byham- "B-" grade- I know this is a head scratcher for many fans, but this team did not execute well on third and short last year. Byham is a stud blocker, better than Bajema and better than Bear. So, while he is not going to catch more than 5 balls this season, he will probably make this team with ease, and have a chance to play on Sunday in situational roles.

Kyle Williams- "A-" grade- The team needs an insurance policy for Ginn, who has had some health problems in the past. So, why not select another lightning rod who can run like the wind. Williams has a terrific shot at making the team as the team's fifth receiver, and a guy who can play in the slot in 4 WR sets. He needs to work on route running (few rookies don't have issues). A guy to stretch the field.

Philip Adams- "D" grade- Better CB's were on the board, including McClain (the Niners plucked Patrick Stoudamire off the priority free agent market), but the team could use a developmental CB on the practice squad, so I understand the positional selection. Might have to move Adams to FS down the road, but I honestly don't give the kid much of a chance to make the team.

A more interesting option would have been to select one of the small school 3-4 DE's on the board (Lissemore or Howard), a big school 3-4 DE who I think is going to make an NFL roster in Doug Worthington, or go complete off the chart and select Jameson Konz, a freak athlete the Seahawks selected later, who might be able to play at numerous positions on the field.

That is the short answer to the best and worst picks. I give the Niners a final grade of 82.5% in the B/B- range.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone